• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Adebayor was woeful today - so frustrating with little flicks and trying to be too clever. He's been brilliant up til now, but I feel he's getting a bit too big for his boots. We need someone to offer him some competition or we won't get the best out of him.

Also, I do not ever want to see Spurs contest a drop ball like that. There's winning and then there's winning with class - leave that gonad*s to the gooners and chavs.

He is awful when he has competition. If he feels like the most important person in the world, he plays well, if he feels like he might not get in the team, he plays really really badly, he's gone on record multiple times saying he's glad he doesn't have to compete for his place at Spurs because it allows him to play his game without worrying about added pressure.

We need someone that can play in his position, but if it's someone that might actually push him out of the team, his form would drop. If it was just someone like Shane Long then Ade would be fine, because he knows Shane Long isn't going to push him out of the team.

--------------

Completely disagree. Firstly, they were time wasting and that sort of cheating is actually against the rules, as opposed to a drop ball, which by nature is designed to be contested... Secondly, the ref and his assistants were responsible for them having a goal they shouldn't have had and had denied us a goal that had nothing wrong with it... Thirdly, it was so late into the match that it wasn't a case of us having 90 minutes to score, we're trying to win the league, risking a draw instead of a win because "we're nice people" is retarded.

I would take 1-0 in every single game in the rest of the season and every goal could be a penalty of the Howard Webb foot kicking the ground style and I would take that right now.

We've been nice guys for ages and that has got us nowhere, I'm totally ok with joining the Sky 4 as "people who gets points they wouldn't get if they were nice"... Emirates Marketing Project are the only ones that haven't been cheating bastards for years.

I seriously am not about to be happy with accepting a draw at home against Wolves after the ref has given us a 2 goal handicap because "it was the right thing to do"... If that'd have gone in and been allowed instead of Ade being given a foul against for doing nothing, the ref still would have owed us a goal....

To be honest, we did score (after the whistle) and Ade didn't do anything to give them a free kick, so maybe I should credit the ref for giving them a 3rd goal advantage because if he didn't give that free kick, we'd have scored.

I'm not about to be an underdog in the title race and wish away the points we didn't deserve. We are missing 7 points that we should have because the officials suck, aside from the Fulham game, I can't think of any points we have that we clearly had a wrong decision go our way for. (The Walker handball.) The Cahill thing wouldn't have changed the match.

If someone gave you the title right now, would you gamble it for the chance to win it with style, class and flair?

--------------

On to Ade.

He's not Defoe. Defoe is only ever in the team to score goals. If Defoe touches the ball once and scores with that touch, he's done his job.

Goals are a bonus with Ade, he's not in the team for goals alone. He's much much much better than Heskey, Zamora, Crouch and co, but those are all strikers that could have a season with 5 league goals and no one would bat an eyelid.

Friedel doesn't have to score goals, the wing backs probably only have 1 goal per season expected between them, the CBs probably have 4 goals per season expected from them, the RM has maybe 5 goals per season hoped for, the CMs have 2 goals per season if they are DMs. Hudds and Modric are slightly more attacking CMs but still aren't extremely attacking, so maybe 5 goals per season from that position... LM is Bale, we expect more goals from him than we usually would another left sided player, if we had Downing and were forced to play him every game, we'd probably hope for 2 goals, but as we have Bale, we hope for 10-15... Next up comes VDV's position.... He's in the team to help us score... That's his purpose. He needs to score a lot of goals and he needs to create a lot of goals, his passing ability/vision makes that type of player the ideal player for us to take the last spot on the team sheet... We need about 15 goals from him per season. Defoe, he's in the team for goals and goals alone. He isn't going to create that much (unless people score rebounds), so he needs pure goals as his assists aren't going to rival VDV or Ade, so we need 20-25 goals from him (if we were to play the entire season.)

Ade's role... He allows us to play with 5 midfielders. He has more to do than the vast majority of players, I'm not going to list everything he has to do because it would take paragraphs and paragraphs... Goals are a bonus with this type of player, because we don't have a Lampard or a Gerrard. We probably need him to score about as much as Bale, 10-15. We only expect this because he's Ade and Ade scores goals. But the goals are just a bonus, if Zamora played exactly like Ade but didn't score a goal all season, Harry would sign him as cover for Ade without question.

The only person in our team that is only there to score goals is Defoe, he doesn't actually get into the team that often because VDV pushes him out of it... If VDV plays instead of Defoe, he's the one we expect to score. He started off really well this season, but he hasn't scored for a few games, it's unfortunate... He still gets assists and is one of our best players without scoring, but due to having a team without someone purely there to score goals, VDV is the one expected to score the goals for us.

All you guys that want a striker that can play up front on his own, hold the ball up, link up play, make intelligent runs, be extremely strong, good in the air, score 50 goals a season and chase the team for 90 minutes, just stop... There is not one striker in the entire world that can do everything that you want and if there were, we wouldn't be able to afford his wages.

Excellent post Pandy.

Adebayor has been excellent this season, and has provided the single biggest improvement in the side.

He isnt perfect, but the pros far outweigh the cons and its ridiculous to start slating him

Im sick of Adebayor. He's a big strong guy but dosnt use is at all. He should bully defenders, but it's like he just bails out every time he has to battle for the ball. He should be a force in the air but isnt, plus he is a very poor finisher. The only thing he is good at, is laying the ball off. Not good enough and should not be signed on a permanent contract.

load of gonad*s

Excellent post Pandy.

Adebayor has been excellent this season, and has provided the single biggest improvement in the side.

He isnt perfect, but the pros far outweigh the cons and its ridiculous to start slating him

Don't you understand that the point of the thread is that in comparison with his other contributions, he was under the standards that he has set. He didn't play as well as he is capable, and he didn't play as well as he has done in the past.

A couple of plonkers have tried to suggest that he's always been gonad*s, but the majority of us just accept that yesterday wasn't his best day at the office.

Fuego's patronising ramble was largely superfluous and the only contestable point is the proposition that he isn't part of the team to score, because he is, its why he's called a forward. I don't disagree that Defoe would be expected to score more, but seeing as we are imprisoning him in the stands, he's finding it a tad difficult to get them in at the moment.
Why? Because we are accommodating VDV playing as an attacking defender...errr defensive forward....errrr box to box midfielder.... errrr inthe hole striking winger.... errrr - help me, WTF are playing him as?
Bale now wanders up and down the pitch as a central striker, because he isn't getting any joy on the wing, where he is tying up two or sometimes three players to stop him (where is the flaw in this?) and Lennon switches wings faster than a glutton in KFC
Why can't we get back to the team set up that got us to where we are, rather than experimental positioning that just duplicates and confuses roles in the team?

Lets also not forget that Wolves played the entire game with little or no ambition to win at all, and irrespective of their inadequacies, they are still professional footballers, playing for a dull and entertainment free manager, who has nothing on his CV apart from, I produce boring destructive football teams.

I understand Jimmys point - though cant help feeling the thread has been well and truly twisted away from its intended matter.

Adebayor hasnt been getting the goals he should, perhaps he hasnt been playing as well as he can, but regardless he is still a major major part of the team and particularly our attack.

I would like to see more from him, he is certainly capable. I think its fair observation to say he isnt on top form - though wonder why he gets singled out when other players are clearly not at 100% either.

RE McCarthy - you are preaching to the choir my friend. I am actually very happy with a point, Wolves arent a good team to play for Spurs. Neither are Everton, 4 points from those two is good business for me.

Don't you understand that the point of the thread is that in comparison with his other contributions, he was under the standards that he has set. He didn't play as well as he is capable, and he didn't play as well as he has done in the past.

A couple of plonkers have tried to suggest that he's always been gonad*s, but the majority of us just accept that yesterday wasn't his best day at the office.

Fuego's patronising ramble was largely superfluous and the only contestable point is the proposition that he isn't part of the team to score, because he is, its why he's called a forward. I don't disagree that Defoe would be expected to score more, but seeing as we are imprisoning him in the stands, he's finding it a tad difficult to get them in at the moment.
Why? Because we are accommodating VDV playing as an attacking defender...errr defensive forward....errrr box to box midfielder.... errrr inthe hole striking winger.... errrr - help me, WTF are playing him as?
Bale now wanders up and down the pitch as a central striker, because he isn't getting any joy on the wing, where he is tying up two or sometimes three players to stop him (where is the flaw in this?) and Lennon switches wings faster than a glutton in KFC
Why can't we get back to the team set up that got us to where we are, rather than experimental positioning that just duplicates and confuses roles in the team?

Lets also not forget that Wolves played the entire game with little or no ambition to win at all, and irrespective of their inadequacies, they are still professional footballers, playing for a dull and entertainment free manager, who has nothing on his CV apart from, I produce boring destructive football teams.

boring.

We would be scrapping for 4th rather than being in the title mix if not for Adebayor.

He has exceeded expectations this season and I hope we are able to sign him permanently.

Because other teams have begun to work us out. You need to develop innovate playing styles/tactics to overcome entrenched opponents and I have no problem with this experimentation, when it delivers!

If you look at the Everton game, the "Toffee's" were set up to counter the threat on the wings of Bale and Lennon. When this threat was only rarely exploited, the likes of Baines and Neville, were so rigid with their formation, that it enabled us to exploit other areas of the pitch. If you fast forward to yesterday's game against Wolves, we should have put Defoe on at least 10/15 minutes earlier and reverted to the 3-5-2 formation that we employed against Stoke in the away game.

If you become too predictable, you make life all too easy for a professional outfit to overcome?

Because other teams have begun to work us out. You need to develop innovate playing styles/tactics to overcome entrenched opponents and I have no problem with this experimentation, when it delivers!

If you look at the Everton game, the "Toffee's" were set up to counter the threat on the wings of Bale and Lennon. When this threat was only rarely exploited, the likes of Baines and Neville, were so rigid with their formation, that it enabled us to exploit other areas of the pitch. If you fast forward to yesterday's game against Wolves, we should have put Defoe on at least 10/15 minutes earlier and reverted to the 3-5-2 formation that we employed against Stoke in the away game.

If you become too predictable, you make life all too easy for a professional outfit to overcome?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I don't have a problem with Bale wandering inside, the problem is when he ends up starting moves in the middle of the pitch. He needs to start moves on the wing more often, we have barely seen him out there recently and I think that width on both sides can help stretch the stubborn defences of teams like West Brom and Wolves who we have struggled to break down recently. A bit more balance and our team is certainly improved with him tucking in more. Perfecting this sort of movement is something that comes with experience as well as instruction though.

I didn't want us to sign Ade, but I'm glad we did.
Ade has worked really hard for us, he's brought a huge amount to the team. But he has his faults, he so often caught offside, I can't get too wound up about the odd linesman's mistake, Ade isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt as 9 times out of 10 he is offside.
His finishing is average, Ade is a 12-15 goal a season striker, but as long as don't set our side up to rely on his goals it works. We use his strengths holding the ball up and creating space for the others, that allows them to shine.

I think Ade suffered yesterday due to the lack of width. Bale was playing more central than him! When a team comes to defend like Wolves did yesterday the way to break them down is width to stretch the defence. Our best period of the game was the start of the second half when Bale and Lennon both stayed wide, this meant there was more space with Modric using this to score.

I also think VDV should stay more up top in these games in case the ball breaks free in the area so there is an extra body in there. I would start Defoe in these games for these reasons. Defoe is called a flat track bulley which is exactly what we needed yesterday. Horses for courses and all that!

I am delighted with how he has performed. Has made a massive difference. What do people think we would be like if it was Pav, or Defoe? He does need some support though, and I agree that sometimes we need to maintain our width to avoid becoming too crowded in the middle. But he has done very well and had his two goals stood against Stoke and Wolves this thread would look very different. I would love him to stay, so long as he continues with the same mentality, and bring someone in to complement him (i.e. Remy).

I am delighted with how he has performed. Has made a massive difference. What do people think we would be like if it was Pav, or Defoe? He does need some support though, and I agree that sometimes we need to maintain our width to avoid becoming too crowded in the middle. But he has done very well and had his two goals stood against Stoke and Wolves this thread would look very different. I would love him to stay, so long as he continues with the same mentality, and bring someone in to complement him (i.e. Remy).

we actually already have someone who compliments him
His name is Jermain Defoe, and he is the clubs top scorer

Back