• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: Official - Adebayor

It's still an optional absence and therefore not a mitigating circumstance for missing matches.

As well as being Togo's biggest star, he's also Tottenham's highest paid player - by a huge margin. I hope he at least had the decency to turn down his wages for the time he was gone.

We'll probably just have to agree to disagree because this discussion has been done in the past and I just flat out disagree. I don't think we can realistically expect what you're asking for from our players.

All I can ask for is that yourself and others that share your opinion will be consistent about it and not complain if English (or other international) players don't show commitment for their national team.

We'll probably just have to agree to disagree because this discussion has been done in the past and I just flat out disagree. I don't think we can realistically expect what you're asking for from our players.

All I can ask for is that yourself and others that share your opinion will be consistent about it and not complain if English (or other international) players don't show commitment for their national team.

You don't half talk a load of ******** !

It's still an optional absence and therefore not a mitigating circumstance for missing matches.

As well as being Togo's biggest star, he's also Tottenham's highest paid player - by a huge margin. I hope he at least had the decency to turn down his wages for the time he was gone.

Hands up who thinks he has forgone his wages during his absence?

No one? Surprise surprise.

BTW, iirc, at the time we signed him he had "retired" from international football and therefore wouldn't be going to the ANC.

You don't half talk a load of ******** !

:lol:

Hands up who thinks he has forgone his wages during his absence?

No one? Surprise surprise.

BTW, iirc, at the time we signed him he had "retired" from international football and therefore wouldn't be going to the ANC.

You remember incorrectly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Adebayor

On 8 January 2010, Adebayor was one of the players involved when the Togo national team's bus came under a gunfire attack on the way to the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola.[69] The fatal attack, in which all the players survived but three other people were killed, led to Togo withdrawing from the tournament.[70] Adebayor consequently announced his retirement from international football on 12 April 2010 in a statement which read, "I have weighed up my feelings in the weeks and months since the attack and I am still haunted by the events which I witnessed on that horrible afternoon on the Togo team bus. We were just footballers going to play a football match and represent our country, yet we were attacked by people who wanted to kill us all. It is a moment I will never forget and one I never want to experience again."[71]

Adebeyor subsequently returned to international duty in November 2011 following assurances from the Togo Football Federation regarding safety,[72] making his comeback in a 1–0 win over Guinea-Bissau in a 2014 World Cup qualifier.[73]

(November 2011 was during his loan spell with us)

Would you make the same comment about wages about other African players taking part in the ACN?

Whoscored.com. League games:

11/12 season: 32 starts, 1 sub appearance.
12/13 season: 18 starts, 7 sub appearances.

Across two seasons that's 58 league games he's played in. He might have been an unused sub in some games in addition to that. Considering that there were probably a couple of games at the beginning of each of those seasons before he was actually signed that adds up to him being involved in somewhere around 80% of our league games in those two seasons.

Invisible man? I'm not convinced that's a particularly accurate description.

You have no idea about what he has or hasn't done. There are some things that Ade can be criticised for no doubt, but why not stick to that which we know? If he's as bad as he's being accused of being there should be no need to venture into speculation.

As seems so often the case with Adebayor everything seems to be taken beyond truth. Weeks? No. Like with the number of games played this is a pretty easy fact to check. Why not take the time to actually get these things right? Once again, if he's as bad as he's being accused of being there should be no need to exaggerate these things.

He turned up for his second season for us on the 21st of August, well into the season. At this point he had been without a proper preseason. How fit would you expect him, or any player, to be?

5 days according to this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/9889153/Tottenham-striker-Emmanuel-Adebayor-blames-Togo-FA-for-late-return-from-Africa-Cup-of-Nations.html

Braineclipse, do you think Adebayor is worth all the hassle? Personally I don't think he is reliable enough. He's in the same cateogory as players like Balotelli and Suarez in the sense that they're hardly the most reliable players on the planet, despite being gifted.

Absolutely. I don't care for the England team any more than I do Togo. All I ask is that players put their club first - we're the ones who pay for their lifestyles.

As for this case in particular, had Ade been performing anywhere near his ability level I don't think people would begrudge him a sabbatical. In this case though, I think he should have shown willing to not be injured for EL away matches before he's fit enough to play in the ACN.

braineclipse;440417 Just one of his many retirements. See [url said:
http://sports.ndtv.com/football/news/200962-togo-want-retired-emmanuel-adebayor-to-play-at-africa-cup-of-nations[/url]

Suggest you be more thorough in future before making these statements.

From the article you linked to:

Togo want Emmanuel Adebayor to come out of retirement and there were boosts for Nigeria and Angola, as the clocked ticked down to the start of the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations.

Agence France-Presse | Last updated on Thursday, 20 December 2012 17:27

Johannesburg: Togo want Emmanuel Adebayor to come out of retirement and there were boosts for Nigeria and Angola, as the clocked ticked down to the start of the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations.

Tottenham Hotspur striker Adebayor said he was once again retiring from international football after a bonus row following a 1-0 friendly victory in Morocco last month.

Ignore for now that this bonus row was him pulling out of international football for him as the captain to help out his team mates who weren't getting the bonus they had been promised by the very flaky looking Togoloese FA. And that many expected at the time that he would be back in the team by the ACN.

The article is from December. The article states he retired "last month". We signed him in the summer. When we signed him he wasn't retired, unless you can point me towards some evidence showing that he was at that time. If/when you do I will gladly say that you remembered right and I remembered incorrectly. If you can't might I suggest you take your own suggestion to heart.

Braineclipse, do you think Adebayor is worth all the hassle? Personally I don't think he is reliable enough. He's in the same cateogory as players like Balotelli and Suarez in the sense that they're hardly the most reliable players on the planet, despite being gifted.

Last season he obviously wasn't, because he was off form on the pitch for most of the season. The season befoere that he obviously was, because he was in form for most of the season. This is the same as most players I think.

I would prefer us to have a more consistent option in our squad, or for Adebayor to become more consistent and reliable. Until January (at least) that's not an option and I hope Adebayor returns to fitness and form for us as I think he can be important for us.

What I do think is that he doesn't deserve half the negative comments he receives from Spurs fans. Take the last page, people are being critical of him because he didn't negate his wages during the ACN. I don't think this would have happened with many other African players, but with Adebayor it's par for the course it seems.

Or his international retirement, where I think he did a good thing as the captain and only real star of that team he supported the team in a bonus dispute with their FA in the only way he could really make a difference, by pulling out of the team. The money probably didn't make much of a difference for Adebayor, but for some of his teammates it would probably have been important. This is something that I think a lot of players would have gotten credit for, or at the very least the response would have been neutral. But for Adebayor, both at the time and later, this is being used to criticise him.

Ignore for now that this bonus row was him pulling out of international football for him as the captain to help out his team mates who weren't getting the bonus they had been promised by the very flaky looking Togoloese FA. And that many expected at the time that he would be back in the team by the ACN.

The article is from December. The article states he retired "last month". We signed him in the summer. When we signed him he wasn't retired, unless you can point me towards some evidence showing that he was at that time. If/when you do I will gladly say that you remembered right and I remembered incorrectly. If you can't might I suggest you take your own suggestion to heart.

Last season he obviously wasn't, because he was off form on the pitch for most of the season. The season befoere that he obviously was, because he was in form for most of the season. This is the same as most players I think.

I would prefer us to have a more consistent option in our squad, or for Adebayor to become more consistent and reliable. Until January (at least) that's not an option and I hope Adebayor returns to fitness and form for us as I think he can be important for us.

What I do think is that he doesn't deserve half the negative comments he receives from Spurs fans. Take the last page, people are being critical of him because he didn't negate his wages during the ACN. I don't think this would have happened with many other African players, but with Adebayor it's par for the course it seems.

Or his international retirement, where I think he did a good thing as the captain and only real star of that team he supported the team in a bonus dispute with their FA in the only way he could really make a difference, by pulling out of the team. The money probably didn't make much of a difference for Adebayor, but for some of his teammates it would probably have been important. This is something that I think a lot of players would have gotten credit for, or at the very least the response would have been neutral. But for Adebayor, both at the time and later, this is being used to criticise him.

This is why am critical of him.

1. He is on huge wages, but constantly has reasons to be unavailable.
2. He has never been prolific, given how much he is paid, the cost benefit analysis is against him.
3. When on the pitch he gives every impression of not giving a f@#$.
4. I do not approve of him laughing and joking with former team mates of the Arsewipes seconds after losing a NLD.

The fact that he is a foreign player and used to play for the 'Wipes has nothing to do with my antipathy towards him, he's just not that good, given the constant grief he causes. But then I can undserstand some supporting him, given their investment in getting the new kit with his name and number on the back. I'd be upset too if he left. :p

That's what AVB said, he returned to first team training on Monday and the team flew to Russia on Tuesday so he wasn't going to be in contention until after the international break.

Indeed, but it will not stop the haters from ****ging him off.

What is this $hite on my TV

youtube-dogooder-awards.jpg

This is why am critical of him.

1. He is on huge wages, but constantly has reasons to be unavailable.
2. He has never been prolific, given how much he is paid, the cost benefit analysis is against him.
3. When on the pitch he gives every impression of not giving a f@#$.
4. I do not approve of him laughing and joking with former team mates of the Arsewipes seconds after losing a NLD.

The fact that he is a foreign player and used to play for the 'Wipes has nothing to do with my antipathy towards him, he's just not that good, given the constant grief he causes. But then I can undserstand some supporting him, given their investment in getting the new kit with his name and number on the back. I'd be upset too if he left. :p

Some of those are fair, some of those are debatable. I have no problems with those points in general, for me I think it's unfair when that bleeds into a general dislike for him as a person/footballer than then means that everything he does is interpreted in the worst possible way by some. He's still a Spurs player and he deserves at least some support and he deserves at least some benefit of the doubt in most situation. For me at least.

1. We signed him on those wages. I posted earlier how he was involved in around 80% of our league games in his first two seasons at the club. I don't think the description of him as "constantly has reasons to be unavailable" is fair considering those numbers.

2. This is fair, but we signed him with that goalscoring record. Once on loan and once permanently.

3. This has been fair at times, but far from always.

4. This is fair I suppose. Very easy to interpret that body language as him not caring and that's obviously bad. I find it hard to conclude that he doesn't care about beating them considering some of the things that have happened when he's played against them both for us and for City.

You choose to put one interpretation on the known facts, I choose to put another.

Let us start with his permanent transfer. What is known is that City wanted to sell him (pretty desperately) and we wanted to buy him (quite urgently as we only had one striker and following his successful loan spell with us). Was it Levy's brinkmanship that deprived us with the benefit of a useful pre season or (in my opinion more likely) Ade delaying signing in the hope one of the big boys might sign him (eg Real Madrid) and/ or to screw every last penny out of moneybags City as a so called "loyalty bonus". I know what I believe, especially given that he made no effort to keep himself fit during that time.

Given these protracted negotiations, it is almost inconceivable that his involvement in the ACN wasn't at least discussed. As we don't absolutely know what was said, let us for a moment work on the hypothesis that Ade gave the club an assurance that he wouldn't be involved in the ACN , possibly to strengthen his marketability and maybe to ensure he could negotiate the most favourable deal possible with us. On that understanding, we duly signed him.

His assurances looked like they were being carried out when a short while later he duly announced his retirement from international football on the flimsy excuse of either bonuses ( if the press is to believed) or in his words "lack of organisation" - whatever that may mean.

Lets just divert for a moment and look at his history with Togo. He had previously refused to play for Toga in October 2008, while an Arsenal player, and announced a "temporary retirement" as he " didn't like their organisation of trips". In April 2010 he again announced his international retirement, citing that "he was still haunted by the terrorist attack ". This retirement lasted until November 2011 - a period of over 18 months.

So when Ade again announced his retirement in 2012, the Club had every reason to expect him to miss the ACN, especially if my hypothesis is correct and he had given them this assurance at the time of his transfer. In December 2012, Ade says " there is no chance of him reversing his decision to retire". In support of the player (and uner the impression that he would honour the assurances given to the club) AVB says " it's a vulnerable situation, anything can happen. It was always his choice. I'm not going to put pressure on him. We've left it to the player to decide". I think he made that statement cognoscent of Ade's earlier assurances that he would not go to the ACN.

On January 10th 2013, Ade refuted AVB's remarks saying " that is what he said to the press but not what he said to me. There is a difference between what you say to the press and what you say in private.". I put it to you that AVB was shocked at Ade's U-turn and endeavoured to remind him of the assurances he had coven the club and asked him to honour them. What other plausible explanation is there?

Now we come to his behaviour after the ACN. He should have flown straight back after Togos elimination from the tournament. What did he do? He chose to delay his return for a catalogue of nebulous reasons, including the teams return trip arrangements, organising flights for his teammates, visiting the President, missing his flight etc. etc. Could it possibly be that he feared facing AVB again due to the duplicitous way he had behaved, having failed to honour his agreement and then disputing AVB's version in the press.

The net effect was that he was five days late back. He missed a full weeks training and this ruled him out for an important game at the weekend, even though he knew Defoe was injured and he was the only fit recognised striker at the Club.I personally find this behaviour disgraceful and having absented the club purely by his own choice and (possibly) reneged on an earlier assurance not to go to the ACN, I think it entirely fair that he forego his salary during this period. For the rest of us, it would be unpaid leave, why not for him?

Finally, my views on Ade have nothing to do with the fact that he is ex-ar*e. I fully supported him in his first season with us. However, I don't find it any surprise that AVB wanted him out in the summer. Given the above facts (even without the speculation of my hypothesis, which does however fit the known facts) so would I. Taken together with all Ades other deficiencies, I really can't understand why others give him the constant benefit of the doubt.

Pirate:

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence". The vast majority of your post is based only on speculation without support, once again highlighting part of my point, very few other players get this treatment. I feel no need to argue against it. I do not feel the majority of what I post is comparably based on speculation.

Since you specifically asked for other plausible explanations for Ade's comments, I'll respond to that. How about AVB having privately tried to convince Ade not to go? Wouldn't that explain those quotes just fine?

For the two paragraphs that aren't based on speculation I'll just re-state that I do agree that there are valid criticisms to be put forward about Adebayor. Him returning late was bad, it has happened with other players in the past and the criticism seems valid.

where has that been reported? i assumed it was a joke post, what with him just coming back to training and probably a good few weeks away from any match involvement so no need for there to be any announcements

Reported on the bbc website no less....no joke billy........but if you read it and believe it then a joke will develop.

Im thinking of opening a game of 'BIG ADE BINGO' if anyone wants to join in?

I was just wishing that we had a big bustling centre forward to give the opposition something different to think about, like Lukaku, Benteke, etc. Then I remembered we had already got one!

:)

Back