• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

I agree, but if we are getting in a another CB I can see him being sold to fund a more forward thinking RB.

He's one of the players with value we can sell and get one more suited to the Ange system.
Yup, that's fair - it's more the 'he's not an Ange type of player' comments he gets levelled with that I take exception to and think is nonsense. Very good defender, has pace, versatile and is comfortable enough on the ball - even if not to Porros level....

50m+ and I would sell and I say that as a consistent fan of his. For 50m+ I think we could get another RB better suited and potentially have money left over to invest in other parts of the squad.

Limited in an Ange side? He can defend, has a bit of pace about him, can play anywhere across the back line and doesn't get injured. And he might not be as good as Porto going forward but he's not bad at all. If we are in Europe next season he will be used plenty, whether there are injuries or not....

I have backed Royal from Conte days when he was the most unpopular of players. I said then he has the makings of a good CB. So no argument from me. He’s a sound defender and his reading of the game and everything defensive is top notch.

Yet we should reinvest if we get 35m for him. Because any Postecoglou player needs to be excellent on the ball and offer more in an attacking capacity. If we do he will be a loss to the squad, and be missed.

But they have offered £20m
That’s a loss on a player that’s flexible, motivated and stays fit
Add in his personality and it needs to be a lot more to sell him IMO

Who is suggesting we should sell for 20m? Even the buying side probably don’t expect us to - their opening offer.

What would you sell him for?

No one's offering 50m for him in a month of Sundays, if we got an offer close to what we paid then it would be a sensible sale given that we can likely find a player more suited to the inverted full back role and it would represent a reasonable on the books profit.

No one's offering 50m, if we got an offer close to what we paid then it would be a sensible sale given that we can likely find a player more suited to the inverted full back role.
For the same money we paid I'd be less interested unless there is a specific player we have earmarked for his role (Spence or someone new).

I like Emerson, I think he's a good RB I've never been one who criticised him for what he's not when what he is, he's very good at being. So there needs to be an incentive for the sale imo. At least 40m would interest, 25m and I'd say pass. Largely because i think any new RB might well cost 25m-50m depending on their profile and skillset.

For the same money we paid I'd be less interested unless there is a specific player we have earmarked for his role (Spence or someone new).

I like Emerson, I think he's a good RB I've never been one who criticised him for what he's not when what he is, he's very good at being. So there needs to be an incentive for the sale imo. At least 40m would interest, 25m and I'd say pass. Largely because i think any new RB might well cost 25m-50m depending on their profile and skillset.

The incentive for the sale would be to improve our squad options - if there isn't a player scouted and available that is a more like for like Porro replacement/competition then no reason to sell, agreed.

Improvement on the left more of a priority at the moment.

I think its a case of being careful what you wish for.

It's all well and good thinking we can upgrade, and on paper you might find a player more suited to the system, but, you can't scout character (at least we don't seem capable of it), and his is top notch, would be one of the last players in the squad I'd want to lose.

Who is suggesting we should sell for 20m? Even the buying side probably don’t expect us to - their opening offer.

What would you sell him for?
The guy who talked about the bid on twitter had a fee
You started throwing around much bigger numbers
I’d sell him for £35m
I wouldn’t for £20m
He adds to the squad right now

It's all well and good thinking we can upgrade, and on paper you might find a player more suited to the system, but, you can't scout character (at least we don't seem capable of it), and his is top notch, would be one of the last players in the squad I'd want to lose.

Could not agree more.

I do agree with you in principle but at the same time on the wider view we can't keep everyone. Some players will have to be swapped out in the long term. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Emerson and would rather keep him, but if there is a crazy offer 50m+ then I'd say we have to do it.

No player is indispensable and every player can be and will be replaced. The key is to control the process of that replacement. Doing it when it suits your options best.

I would see what he wants to do. If he wants to stay then I’d 100% keep him. He has his critics but he hasn’t let us down this season. He has come in and performed very well. He has the right attitude as shown by how much he is reportedly spending to improve his game. So no way I wouldn’t sell him.

If he does want to leave and wants first team football then I’d sell him but would want a bigger fee.

Makes sense but only if the following is met:

1. Fee of at least £35m
2. Happens in the summer
3. Fabio has a young Udogie type right back in his black book that can be signed for less than £15m

Great squad man, could be the new Davies in that regard. Wouldn't sell. He's actually quite comfortable on the ball (just cant cross) so don't think he doesn't suit Angeball. When he started the season at RB he looked very comfortable and even a little creative going into tight spaces in midfield and keeping possession. Obviously Porro's end product is streets ahead.

The guy who talked about the bid on twitter had a fee
You started throwing around much bigger numbers
I’d sell him for £35m
I wouldn’t for £20m
He adds to the squad right now
Agreed! Once the figure starts with a 3, its hard not to consider/negotiate. Especially if you could effectively swap him for him for Nusa, or an alternative. I'm a big fan of Royals defensive game. But in this Ange side, defenders who are good on the ball like Romero, Porro etc are ultimately what we need. Although Royal is an excellent squad option, and would be a loss. Seeing out a lead he's idealto bring on. Has covered really well at CB and is settled at the club. So yes 35m sounds about right to me. Obviously would be awesome to get 40m. A massive increase from where he was under Conte at one point.

Back