• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

Agreed! Once the figure starts with a 3, its hard not to consider/negotiate. Especially if you could effectively swap him for him for Nusa, or an alternative. I'm a big fan of Royals defensive game. But in this Ange side, defenders who are good on the ball like Romero, Porro etc are ultimately what we need. Although Royal is an excellent squad option, and would be a loss. Seeing out a lead he's idealto bring on. Has covered really well at CB and is settled at the club. So yes 35m sounds about right to me. Obviously would be awesome to get 40m. A massive increase from where he was under Conte at one point.
Royal isn’t good enough to start for where we want to be … but need him as an option

If we can replace* him for £10m less than we sell him for, of course we should do it.
*As long as we are 87% sure the replacement will be better.

Don't think it will happen in January. Think there's a chance we sell in the summer. Will depend on many factors of course. Probably Ange would want an option with more quality on the ball and more creativity, but Emerson is also a good option. In part probably comes down to him as well, will he be happy being the backup to Porro.

It's also a squad role we could potentially use to develop a really talented young player into a top player. That's important too. But then will depend on who we could sign and for what fee.

For January though. Difficult to see us getting a replacement we'd be confident about, difficult to see it happening.

Don't think it will happen in January. Think there's a chance we sell in the summer. Will depend on many factors of course. Probably Ange would want an option with more quality on the ball and more creativity, but Emerson is also a good option. In part probably comes down to him as well, will he be happy being the backup to Porro.

It's also a squad role we could potentially use to develop a really talented young player into a top player. That's important too. But then will depend on who we could sign and for what fee.

For January though. Difficult to see us getting a replacement we'd be confident about, difficult to see it happening.

Think everyone gets it

- Good squad and utility player (in a team with constant injuries) that can play across the back line (he's acting cover for 3 position right now)
- Great character and likeable guy in dressing room
- Model Pro (his spell when fans were all over him showed us his character)
- This January is a very bad time for us re player depth

Stupid money and player perspective (no indication from him) is the only thing that can change that.

In summer, for the right money and if he wants to go ...

We should try and do a pompey/stoke deal with a saudi club where they take 3 of our cast offs.

Instead of getting around £20m for the three we should be able to eek out £100m, perhaps for Emerson and Richarlison.

I really rate Emerson and always have, but for crazy money (50m+) it would be a no brainer. If however they offer less that then its not in our interest to sell him. I can't see that we can get a competent defender (and Emerson is more than compentant) that can play RB, LB and CB (at a pin h) to a very good standard for less than 35m. At which point you'd then question the logic in spending so much for a depth option.

I know Spence has been sent on loan but I'd rather try him out I guess as a attacking backup over selling Royal and spending a lot of a replacement.

Surely we keep till summer and not kill depth for the sake of it, something everyone was up in arms about when it happened at CB

I don't see any way in which we sell him in January - I'd have expected some murmurings of potential signings at RB, of which there haven't been any, if that were to be the case. At this point, even if we had an eye on a long term replacement it would almost certainly hurt us between now and the end of the season to replace him.

But to the long term discussion, any player in the squad who is a clear back up should be on the list for potential upgrading. Royal himself is probably at peak value and we'll soon be in a position whereby we have to decide whether to stick (new contract) or twist - in terms of squad building i don't think you should be signing up existing squad players to long term contracts (unless young and/or HG), better to try and improve. I think that's a good rule to have that should see the squad remain fresh year to year.

I don't see any way in which we sell him in January - I'd have expected some murmurings of potential signings at RB, of which there haven't been any, if that were to be the case. At this point, even if we had an eye on a long term replacement it would almost certainly hurt us between now and the end of the season to replace him.

But to the long term discussion, any player in the squad who is a clear back up should be on the list for potential upgrading. Royal himself is probably at peak value and we'll soon be in a position whereby we have to decide whether to stick (new contract) or twist - in terms of squad building i don't think you should be signing up existing squad players to long term contracts (unless young and/or HG), better to try and improve. I think that's a good rule to have that should see the squad remain fresh year to year.

Oh he won't be hear next season. Nor will PEH or Skipp who are getting minutes now.

I think Skipp is in the squad (as 5th CM) until Devine is done on the loan circuit - that will stretch in to next season imo

I was told we are planning to sell him due to the value on the books which would allow for an even bumper summer. I don't personally see him here next year. Time will tell

Back