• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

Royale was not the reason why we lost yesterday and I think he is a thoroughly decent right back. However he is not fit for purpose in Ange's system. His contract expires in 2026 but I think we should sell him in the summer.

Last edited:
Royale is not the reason why we lost yesterday and I think he is a thoroughly decent right back. However he is not fit for purpose in Ange's system. His contract expires in 2026 but I think we should sell him in the summer.
Pretty much exactly right.

We need to find players that when we put them in they don't change the style of the team.

Think Royal would make a good centre half in Spain.

Royale was not the reason why we lost yesterday and I think he is a thoroughly decent right back. However he is not fit for purpose in Ange's system. His contract expires in 2026 but I think we should sell him in the summer.
When we're mostly clicking/flowing we can replace Porro with Emerson and still function well. Will limit us, but not to a massive extent.

When we're struggling and he comes in we struggle even more.

There are other ways of "fixing" that than replacing him. Better options elsewhere essentially along perhaps with a really good dribbly winger good enough to be a starter. The majority of even very good teams have positions/roles where the backup isn't the "ideal backup/rotation option".

But if we can find that option that's closer to Porro (or Udogie) in style, closer to them in attacking quality that would be a good thing for sure.

When we're mostly clicking/flowing we can replace Porro with Emerson and still function well. Will limit us, but not to a massive extent.

When we're struggling and he comes in we struggle even more.

There are other ways of "fixing" that than replacing him. Better options elsewhere essentially along perhaps with a really good dribbly winger good enough to be a starter. The majority of even very good teams have positions/roles where the backup isn't the "ideal backup/rotation option".

But if we can find that option that's closer to Porro (or Udogie) in style, closer to them in attacking quality that would be a good thing for sure.

Agree, but if he hasn't played in his role for months (as has been the case), doesn't help either.

It felt like EVERYTHING was going via him on Saturday, I don't recall Porro getting involved in games to the same extent but maybe my memory is wrong on that...

It felt like EVERYTHING was going via him on Saturday, I don't recall Porro getting involved in games to the same extent but maybe my memory is wrong on that...
Attack wise?
We have had loads of games where Pedro was having the most touches
But we do know that teams do let Royal have more of the ball and deal with the other players as they know his delivery is weak
We saw that last season IIRC

Attack wise?
We have had loads of games where Pedro was having the most touches
But we do know that teams do let Royal have more of the ball and deal with the other players as they know his delivery is weak
We saw that last season IIRC

Attack / build up play wise yes I guess.

Perhaps I just haven't noticed it with Porro but just felt like everything we did in the middle of the park and even on the wings / outside the box had Royal heavily involved, didn't feel like Davies was anywhere near as involved.

Attack / build up play wise yes I guess.

Perhaps I just haven't noticed it with Porro but just felt like everything we did in the middle of the park and even on the wings / outside the box had Royal heavily involved, didn't feel like Davies was anywhere near as involved.
That may be the natural game coming into play too
I haven’t seen this game
But I have noticed Porto having less and less influence on games lately
Royal tried to do everything. He can’t do it, but he has a go
Davies plays to his capabilities and won’t go beyond that. It’s why both are model pros but neither are starters
Ange ball asks so much from his full backs, he really needs rotation options, not back ups

While that may be true, Royal makes himself available for passes, he's often an easy outlet because he positions himself for it.
A bit nitpicky on my side perhaps...

If players are an easy outlet it's usually because the opponents are quite happy with that player receiving the ball where they are.

Part of what makes my pants sticky and what makes Porro and Udogie so good is that they want the ball, and can control the ball, in tight areas where it's not the easy outlet pass and where they can do something useful with the ball (usually with some risk).

We played a ton of easy passes against Wolves and that gets us pretty much nowhere pretty much all of the time. Of course those passes are part of our game too, but the difference making moves are those where it isn't easy.

That's not a criticism of Royal. He probably shouldn't try the same risky moves as Porro and Udogie. But when we're not ticking the "easy outlet" against a low block team adds very little to our game.

Back