• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

Settle in to a league/club is one thing. Settling in to a role you're not familiar with is another. All takes time. Settling in to a role you're not familiar with and one you're not obviously suited to is a completely different thing.

I have nothing against Emerson. Not his fault he was bought as a mostly defensive right back and then we switched to a wing back system.

I have very little confidence that going into next season with him as our first choice RWB is a good idea.

He seems to just freeze when near the other sides 18 yard box, maybe he is over thinking it slightly? Maybe he should just aim a couple of hit and hopes into the box?

He does have a player to mark. There's a player on the edge of the box that he's marking. He's where he should be.
It's not like everyone is in good positions, in a line and it's an easy step up to catch offside. The shape has totally gone.
He is the least at fault here.

I'm not a fan of Emersons, especially as a RWB, but attaching blame to him is a stretch in this case.
So he can't be in line with Romero or Dier and still be doing his job?. He has 7/8 yds of separation between him and the player he marking.

If you watch the video the two Boro players are in their positions for at least a couple of seconds ie they are not running thru our lines. Royal has the 'luxury' of looking at the play, he is not fighting fires (or chasing shadows:)). A standard action here would be to step up (or be in line in the first place), it negates all threats.

Settle in to a league/club is one thing. Settling in to a role you're not familiar with is another. All takes time. Settling in to a role you're not familiar with and one you're not obviously suited to is a completely different thing.

I have nothing against Emerson. Not his fault he was bought as a mostly defensive right back and then we switched to a wing back system.

I have very little confidence that going into next season with him as our first choice RWB is a good idea.

I do understand what you are saying and do not really disagree with most of it, your right settling into a new role is not easy but it CAN be done and we have seen over the years several players who have done this. Time will tell but my point is how quick some have already made their mind up that he will be unable to do so.

If he doesn't play him onside they don't score.

He's the widest player with no runner going past him. No player to mark. Not playing opponents onside in a situation like that is rather important.

It's another mistake after others from other players. You can often get away with a mistake as long as there aren't more.

Plenty of criticism of others here and in other threads. Blame to go around, but also to him.
I would agree ordinarily bit with how fudged that whole line is how is Royal supposed to know whether the fudgers are gonna stay there or fall back. There's no way to judge that line because there was no line. In this instance I think you're being incredibly harsh and not taking the context and situation into account.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

I don't want to dig him out too much but my heart really does sink when he gets the ball in a dangerous attacking position, same feeling I used to get with Sissoko.

Totally get the comparison. Both have the engine, desire, work rate, but lacking the composure and technical ability on the ball. I'm not a Sissoko hater btw, loved his passion but could always see the limitations.

Totally get the comparison. Both have the engine, desire, work rate, but lacking the composure and technical ability on the ball. I'm not a Sissoko hater btw, loved his passion but could always see the limitations.
I think @Kandi1977 made the comparison originally having seen him play a fair bit before we signed him.
He never looks set right, his body shape just seems off when addressing the ball or something.

I think @Kandi1977 made the comparison originally having seen him play a fair bit before we signed him.
He never looks set right, his body shape just seems off when addressing the ball or something.
That's correct, and few believed me, as he is a Brazilian and was a Barcelona player, so surely had to be technically excellent. He's fine as a right back that stays back though. Just has little quality beyond the half way line.

You know what, I had never even considered the possibility that we would keep Royal, he is that bad. I always assume he and Doherty will be offered around and swapped for some players that can actually perform RWB well.

I do understand what you are saying and do not really disagree with most of it, your right settling into a new role is not easy but it CAN be done and we have seen over the years several players who have done this. Time will tell but my point is how quick some have already made their mind up that he will be unable to do so.

I can only speak for myself. I haven't made my mind up that he can't, but I think it's unlikely to happen quickly. Certainly quickly enough for him to be a good option for first choice RWB next season.

Assuming he stays as an option, perhaps even an RCB option at times, I will give him time to adjust and be patient.

Right now he's showing very little in attacking quality, it seems like a long path. Not impossible of course. Would have liked to see some signs of progress to indicate that he can step up over say a 12 month period from now.

I would agree ordinarily bit with how fudged that whole line is how is Royal supposed to know whether the fudgers are gonna stay there or fall back. There's no way to judge that line because there was no line. In this instance I think you're being incredibly harsh and not taking the context and situation into account.

Fair enough, we disagree. There is context, but I don't think that excuses him completely. For me taking a step or two back there when he has no runner his side to track isn't good. It's not disastrous, it happens, but it's a mistake.

We don't have a straight line, but he drops in deeper than the defenders ball side with runners posing a threat. For no good reason.

Needs to be dropped for next week and another more attacking solution found, whether Lavinier, Moura, Bergie, or whoever.

Then Sess on the left

Whether Conte can find a solution to the RWB issue, or is prepared to change formation, I believe will be one of biggest determinants of where we finish

He tries.

He tries hard, he really does.

Which is why it's hard to say he's a failure - he's the kind of guy you want to succeed, because he genuinely puts in an effort.

But he's just awful, sadly, and a complete mismatch. He might have been good under Nuno given time (although what we would have looked like under Nuno is anyone's guess), but both him and our backup target for RB (Tomiyasu) were tactically built for a back four, or at least, to work as full-backs, not wing-backs.

As full-back, he'd probably be okay in time - his physicality and relative pace would eventually mean he'd get the better of most wingers once he adapted to the Premier League, and he'd be a solid if unspectacular FB.

But he has no skill on the ball, the first touch of the Ever Given and you can see the players actively trying not to pass him the ball, which is a damning indictment of his qualities further up field.

We need to play Lucas there for the remainder of the season. Or Bergwijn, or Lavinier, or...anyone, really. Just not Emerson. When Matt Doherty comes back and thoroughly outplays you for a starting role, it's a sign that maybe you're not cut out for this.

The fact that we got beat 1-0 at home to Brighton and never had a shot on target and yet our forwards are being defended but the rb plaging out of position is getting a roasting says a lot.

A) in Conte's system, RWB and LWB are our two most important positions, by far, so obviously he gets scrutiny.
B) Our forwards get a lot of leeway because they've bailed us out countless times before. Has Emerson done so enough by comparison?
C) 'Playing out of position' is a stretch. Doherty was a right wing-back playing left wing-back, on his weaker side, for weeks - that's what I'd call playing out of position. Emerson being moved forward slightly from right full-back to right wing-back is not 'playing out of position', come on.

Did he not attempt a single cross the entire game?

Damn, that is absolutely dire.
When he crosses the ball he gets roasted. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

When he doesn't cross the ball and plays it inside (like Doherty) he gets roasted. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

A) in Conte's system, RWB and LWB are our two most important positions, by far, so obviously he gets scrutiny.
B) Our forwards get a lot of leeway because they've bailed us out countless times before. Has Emerson done so enough by comparison?
C) 'Playing out of position' is a stretch. Doherty was a right wing-back playing left wing-back, on his weaker side, for weeks - that's what I'd call playing out of position. Emerson being moved forward slightly from right full-back to right wing-back is not 'playing out of position', come on.

Emerson seems better suited to being a backup RCB in Conte’s system than RWB, offers absolutely sod-all going forward.

E6A78F94-44BA-4112-AD97-15A2BD8322D0.jpeg 22CA932D-B9C7-4409-BDC3-D45AB36C56DB.jpeg

When he crosses the ball he gets roasted. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

When he doesn't cross the ball and plays it inside (like Doherty) he gets roasted. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Yeah, but look at those two maps that @SteveAWOL attached. Doherty had a) passes forward, and b) crosses into the box. Against the same opponents. Away.

Emerson didn't have a *single* pass forward, the *entire* game. And zero crosses.

He's not getting roasted unfairly, these are absolute basics for a wing-back.

Back