• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

Seems to have pretty poor technique when it comes to crossing the ball. Don't want to write him off just yet, but in this formation we can do much better at RWB.

...and while he can develop (just 23) you kind of feel that is only going to come with some space over the summer. It might 'click' for him the more he plays, but he isn't at home in the final third at the moment. Has to relax and keep cool. Similar with Reggie tbh.
The problem is to really see the Conte system blossom the WBs have to be on point.

The problem is to really see the Conte system blossom the WBs have to be on point.

Quite. Its why I prefer Sessegnon (with Reggie rotating frequently) and Kulu maybe even as right-wingback. Just a bit more attacking intent and quality from them you feel. All be it you need to be more patient with them. At 21 they are not always going to be consistent, and need to settle.

Last edited:
Looks like he's being overtaken by Doherty in the pecking order? Could argue rotation for the Leeds game, but benched again vs. Boro with no sign of rotation elsewhere.

Then a rather unimpressive sub appearance, directly at fault for the goal against and continuing to look out of place on the ball.

Not a good look.

I don't want to dig him out too much but my heart really does sink when he gets the ball in a dangerous attacking position, same feeling I used to get with Sissoko.

I can't understand royal getting stick for the goal, five of them around the ball and only dier looks at all alert.
Ok offside isn't great, but fudge me what is going on around the ball?

He gets stick for playing their goalscorer onside, being deeper than the defensive line for no good reason. Just like any player in his position would I think.

Dier, Romero and whoever the midfielder is all look alert to me. But our shape is not there at all.

Don't quite remember why we got pushed that far over.

He gets stick for playing their goalscorer onside, being deeper than the defensive line for no good reason. Just like any player in his position would I think.

Dier, Romero and whoever the midfielder is all look alert to me. But our shape is not there at all.

Don't quite remember why we got pushed that far over.
We were trying to play 4-2-4 with some of the defensive 4 pushing on

His positioning tends to seem suspect, maybe it's just unfamiliarity to the WB position but his reading of the game seems really lacking.
Not saying he needs to go this summer, but he does need to show that he can improve, he's not been reliable lately.

I can't understand royal getting stick for the goal, five of them around the ball and only dier looks at all alert.
Davies and Romero started beside the two players that got behind the defence. They got attracted to the ball instead of following the two players that were
the danger. It's a bit harsh blaming Emerson for playing them onside when the shape of the defence was that bad.

The way some are going on you’d think our defence had formed a perfect Arsenal back 4 line and Royal had ruined it:DIt was a cluster fudge from the defence as a whole, but as is always the way on here and on social media in general you have to try and pin the blame on an individual….

Davies and Romero started beside the two players that got behind the defence. They got attracted to the ball instead of following the two players that were
the danger. It's a bit harsh blaming Emerson for playing them onside when the shape of the defence was that bad.

If he doesn't play him onside they don't score.

He's the widest player with no runner going past him. No player to mark. Not playing opponents onside in a situation like that is rather important.

It's another mistake after others from other players. You can often get away with a mistake as long as there aren't more.

Plenty of criticism of others here and in other threads. Blame to go around, but also to him.

Give the kid time to settle into a much faser pace of game, jesus the way some fans write off players in todays game is sad to see.

Settle in to a league/club is one thing. Settling in to a role you're not familiar with is another. All takes time. Settling in to a role you're not familiar with and one you're not obviously suited to is a completely different thing.

I have nothing against Emerson. Not his fault he was bought as a mostly defensive right back and then we switched to a wing back system.

I have very little confidence that going into next season with him as our first choice RWB is a good idea.

If he doesn't play him onside they don't score.

He's the widest player with no runner going past him. No player to mark. Not playing opponents onside in a situation like that is rather important.

It's another mistake after others from other players. You can often get away with a mistake as long as there aren't more.

Plenty of criticism of others here and in other threads. Blame to go around, but also to him.
He does have a player to mark. There's a player on the edge of the box that he's marking. He's where he should be.
It's not like everyone is in good positions, in a line and it's an easy step up to catch offside. The shape has totally gone.
He is the least at fault here.

I'm not a fan of Emersons, especially as a RWB, but attaching blame to him is a stretch in this case.

He does have a player to mark. There's a player on the edge of the box that he's marking. He's where he should be.
It's not like everyone is in good positions, in a line and it's an easy step up to catch offside. The shape has totally gone.
He is the least at fault here.

I'm not a fan of Emersons, especially as a RWB, but attaching blame to him is a stretch in this case.

A player to mark or be aware of, sure, my wording was inaccurate. No direct threat in behind on his side. Can be in a good position for that player without playing others onside.

It's a lot harder if he also has to track a run by the player near him at the same time. It's not easy in this situation either, but getting that right is the difference between conceding and not in this instance.

It happens, happens at times for just about any player. But it's a mistake in my book. For a wing back to be deeper than the defensive line he needs good reasons, a direct threat to stop. There isn't one.

Why shouldn't he be in line with the other defenders?

Back