• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

He was very poor tonight and I am usually a fan of his defensive game. He seemed to not know where to be which is strange because initially when he first started playing RWB he seemed very comfortable in his defensive duties but tonight he was a little all over the shop.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Would rather Lusala was given a run there.

Makes you wonder whether we would be better trying to sign the likes of Spence or Bogle then going for crap like Royal.

Difficult to criticise too many after such a good result, but Royal's use of the ball yesterday was another example of how he's not a wing-back. Such an important position in Conte's system

Difficult to criticise too many after such a good result, but Royal's use of the ball yesterday was another example of how he's not a wing-back. Such an important position in Conte's system

that can be coached though, his positioning instincts are good, he's strong, quick, tall, brave

worth persevering with I think

That ball Kane pinged out to him with his left foot, should have been crossed into the box, instead he ballooned it over the far post. Easy to upgrade in this position during the summer.

that can be coached though, his positioning instincts are good, he's strong, quick, tall, brave

worth persevering with I think

"strong, quick, tall, brave" I agree

My concern is whether his passing and crossing can get up to the required standard through coaching

I'm sure we'll persevere for another couple season, in terms of keeping him in the squad, but I'd like to think that selling Doherty and signing a new RWB in the summer is a top priority

Right CB, which is more or less the position he played for most of yesterday, seems perfect for him. Not a bad fullback either, but yes as a wing-back, especially against less attacking teams, he's not confident going forward yet.

Both him and Sess were poor, but they stuck to it

Right CB, which is more or less the position he played for most of yesterday, seems perfect for him. Not a bad fullback either, but yes as a wing-back, especially against less attacking teams, he's not confident going forward yet.

He was definitely playing more as a right centre back defensively and he was excellent as such. Maybe that’s his future role for us.

He was definitely playing more as a right centre back defensively and he was excellent as such. Maybe that’s his future role for us.

I wonder if it was intentional. Keep him fairly narrow and deep. Let Cancelo and whoever joined up down that side have a bit of fun, but keeping our centre backs narrow to do the job when the ball came in?

I thought at the time that Kulusevski was left with too much to do. Tracking Cancelo all the way and often not getting that much help in dealing with him. Asked a lot of Kulusevski and times he struggled, and we struggled imo. But with 3 centre backs, Sessegnon and sometimes even Royal fairly compact in or near or box City did struggle to go from us struggling a bit down that side to us struggling in the box.

Seeing as it seemed to continue in the second half I assume Conte didn't push hard for a change of approach down that side and was happy with it.

RCB could be a good role for him, but I don't think he will get games there any time soon. We're short on options at RWB and Romero is a nailed on starter at RCB.

Maybe the idea for teams like Emirates Marketing Project is to defend narrow. That way, force City in to the wider positions where they will need to find crosses to create chances.

Without a natural striker, they lack the presence in the centre and so the centre backs are able to deal with the crosses. I remember we beat Arsenal, whilst Redknapp was our manager, as we employed a similar defensive approach.

He just has no smoothness about him when attacking.

Reactions: DTA
He just has no smoothness about him when attacking.

...and while he can develop (just 23) you kind of feel that is only going to come with some space over the summer. It might 'click' for him the more he plays, but he isn't at home in the final third at the moment. Has to relax and keep cool. Similar with Reggie tbh.

Maybe the idea for teams like Emirates Marketing Project is to defend narrow. That way, force City in to the wider positions where they will need to find crosses to create chances.

Without a natural striker, they lack the presence in the centre and so the centre backs are able to deal with the crosses. I remember we beat Arsenal, whilst Redknapp was our manager, as we employed a similar defensive approach.

I don't watch many city games, vut they did seem to cross the ball a lot more than i would have expected.

Back