• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Efficiency...or the lack of it

Ha! You know what I mean.

Anyone can shoot from everywhere. Doesnt mean its a worthwhile endeavour.

Which means 99 shots might, actually, be 25 decent attempts. And its the number of decent attempts that should be of interest IMHO.

And while I was exaggerating, I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Bales ego strikes accounted for half the 99

Last season we missed loads of clear cut chances. This season I feel we haven't created nowhere near as many clear cut chances and our stats are being spiced up by countless pot shots ( mostly by Bale). If you watch our games we don't actually create that many clear cut chances.

We create enough.

Also, compared to last season, we dominate teams and possession a great deal more - meaning they will be sat back 10 behind the ball a lot more - meaning chances are harder to fashion...

We create enough.

Also, compared to last season, we dominate teams and possession a great deal more - meaning they will be sat back 10 behind the ball a lot more - meaning chances are harder to fashion...

This is key. We've properly become a top side because we've become a possession side. A lot of our games now the win seems inevitable, it's just a question of when.

Indeed - dont we all?

There was so much to be positive about yesterday, I feel much more hopeful this morning. More so than the last few games.

Totally agree with this....the lads must feel good, and Harry must feel alot better with his choices yesterday. I think we can build on this now and push on. If we beat Bolton, I certainly dont fear Chelsea in the semis now.

Last season we missed loads of clear cut chances. This season I feel we haven't created nowhere near as many clear cut chances and our stats are being spiced up by countless pot shots ( mostly by Bale). If you watch our games we don't actually create that many clear cut chances.

I agree, but only for the last couple of months. I think we did better in the first half of the season. We seem to have lost that bit of extra attacking movement and fluidity we had earlier in the season.

As Affy says though, having a shot doesnt mean a "good" shot.

That could be 99 Bale specials from 35 yards that hit the top stand...
Thats what I said on page 1 nayim but nobody cared. Poor me :(

Stats like this are massively flawed. A bobbler from 30 yards counts as a shot on target but would never go in.

Etc etc

I agree, but only for the last couple of months. I think we did better in the first half of the season. We seem to have lost that bit of extra attacking movement and fluidity we had earlier in the season.

It's down to confidence in my opinion. The goons have it and we're rebuilding ours. Even Rosicky is playing well ffs.

When you are playing well and winning then the whole team attack en masse. When your confidence is fragile, you err on the side of caution. You take on shots you shouldn't and snatch at decent chances.

I don't think that we can underestimate the massive impact VDV's goal against Stoke will have come the end of the season. That goal for me was the start of the climb back. If it hadn't been scored I think we were looking at 5th-6th. Now I see us as very much in the hunt for 3rd.

Thats what I said on page 1 nayim but nobody cared. Poor me :(

Stats like this are massively flawed. A bobbler from 30 yards counts as a shot on target but would never go in.

Etc etc

But either way, something is poor.

If out of those 99 shots, only ten, or 20 were actually decent efforts, then thats still not good enough over five games.

Something is off, and our results have reflected that.

It's down to confidence in my opinion. The goons have it and we're rebuilding ours. Even Rosicky is playing well ffs.

When you are playing well and winning then the whole team attack en masse. When your confidence is fragile, you err on the side of caution. You take on shots you shouldn't and snatch at decent chances.

I don't think that we can underestimate the massive impact VDV's goal against Stoke will have come the end of the season. That goal for me was the start of the climb back. If it hadn't been scored I think we were looking at 5th-6th. Now I see us as very much in the hunt for 3rd.

I agree to some extent. Confidence is obviously important, but there is more to it than that I think.

The better players are at playing as a team, the better they know where to move the smaller the effect of a drop in confidence will be. Most of the time anyway.

If you look at United, even when they're not at their best they all know what to do and where to move. There is a belief and confidence in them, but you also see loads of players storming into the box when they have the ball in good wide areas for example. When they get a good counter attacking opportunity, players storm forward. Our players seem more lost in those situations and as a result we depend more on individuals bringing out the extraordinary or defensive errors from the opponents.

The lack of an ingrained system becomes more apparent when confidence drops, there is nothing to fall back on and rebuild from.

We are a bit too improvisational IMHO, I would like to see more set patterns of play in our side. People knowing, regardless of form, who should be doing what and when

I can see what you mean, but the biggest difference to me has been that we hit the post, we hit the keeper, the bar, the defenders arse, and they all stay out. we had 4 (I think) goals ruled off in 4 games for offside on the line which is comically bizarre. Parker, Adenauer etc

Certainly we havent had the rub of the green at all, but in football I do believe you make your own luck as well - and knowing what you should b doing at any given time is a good place to start with that

The positive I take from it all.

We keep on having 20+ shots on goal, some f#cker is gonna get a good hiding Saudi Sportswashing Machine-style. And with some of the fixtures we have left, maybe more than one.

The positive I take from it all.

We keep on having 20+ shots on goal, some f#cker is gonna get a good hiding Saudi Sportswashing Machine-style. And with some of the fixtures we have left, maybe more than one.

I think it will be Swansea

Back