• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Djed Spence

I’m seeing a lot of Spurs fans clamour for Spence to replace Royal. Won’t happen. Doherty will be in.

Spence is a good prospect but he’s still raw.
Haven't seen much of Spence so can't really comment. Doherty is the best option at RWB at the moment.

This, lets give him time to progress because IF he comes into the side and does not impress some of those who are clamouring for him to play will probably turn on him.

You’ll see him in the League Cup I’d imagine. He’s got the tools but he’s very raw and not the answer to our current problems.

I don't think anyone here is asking for Spence to be the undisputed starter. And I do agree that Doherty should be ahead of Spence... the problem is Royal. Do you think the fans have turned on Royal? Personally, Royal doesn't fill me with utter dread when I see him starting but I don't have any faith in him, and ironically, it seems the rest of the squad doesn't either because when Royal does get a chance into the box, many times no one is attacking it. I have zero expectations from him and I think while he does defend well at times, he lacks consistency which means his attacking is generally very poor, and his defending is hit or miss. If he's a miss, he's a passenger and the main argument is that I don't think the other options can do much worse provided they at least offer something going forwards.

I’m seeing a lot of Spurs fans clamour for Spence to replace Royal. Won’t happen. Doherty will be in.

Every player is raw until they get given the opportunity to play at this level , and he was good enough to be man of the match against Arsenal and keep Martinelli quiet all game and score against Leicester in the next round of the FA Cup last season. All whilst I saw him consistently put in quality performances in the Championship.

He is good enough, it is just plain weird that Conte doesn’t play the best wing back we have

As opposed to Emerson whom I regard as less than a good prospect as a right wingback

I for one will not turn on him
Did anyone turn on Gil or Skipp? I think most here are reasonable enough to be patient with Spence, just to get a few more than 5 minutes off the bench even.

We play Frankfurt in two days. What kind of message would Conte send by starting Royal again?

Our crowd are very vocal when they don’t rate a player. You can hear the collective groans when Sanchez or Emerson get the ball a lot of the time. Winks had a similar time of it. I’ve heard Hojbjerg get it too.

It doesn’t have to be a massive turn on a player. Just enough groans could have a player stop taking risks. At this level, that can be crucial.

From what I’ve seen of Spence, and I’ve seen him in the flesh for Forest, he’s a good player with potential. But I’d have Doherty over him right now.

Our crowd are very vocal when they don’t rate a player. You can hear the collective groans when Sanchez or Emerson get the ball a lot of the time. Winks had a similar time of it. I’ve heard Hojbjerg get it too.

It doesn’t have to be a massive turn on a player. Just enough groans could have a player stop taking risks. At this level, that can be crucial.

From what I’ve seen of Spence, and I’ve seen him in the flesh for Forest, he’s a good player with potential. But I’d have Doherty over him right now.
Winks got it even when he was playing well
I get it with Sanchez and Emerson as neither is comfortable with a football
I don’t think Spence is like that at all when I’ve seen him

Did anyone turn on Gil or Skipp? I think most here are reasonable enough to be patient with Spence, just to get a few more than 5 minutes off the bench even.

We play Frankfurt in two days. What kind of message would Conte send by starting Royal again?
One that means he knows he won’t be able to play the next 3 league games…
But I’d rather he plays someone who can to give them a chance

I don't think it's player specific, just that negative passing or poor control leading to us bring put on the backfoot gets criticism- the players you mention are regular culprits of that

If he doesn't play he will be 30 and still raw

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

The lad has just turned 22. He'll get plenty of opportunities I'm sure. Is he ready to be a PL regular now? I'd have question marks and think Doherty would be a better option right now. But, to be fair, I've often been wrong on players. However, I trust the manager on this one - he knows football and he's seen a lot more of Spence than me or anyone here.

I don't understand why so many supporters are pushing so hard for him to play. It almost feels like "shiny new toy" syndrome rather than based on anything people have seen. A lot of players' reputations seem to grow the longer they are out of the team.

The lad has just turned 22. He'll get plenty of opportunities I'm sure. Is he ready to be a PL regular now? I'd have question marks and think Doherty would be a better option right now. But, to be fair, I've often been wrong on players. However, I trust the manager on this one - he knows football and he's seen a lot more of Spence than me or anyone here.

I don't understand why so many supporters are pushing so hard for him to play. It almost feels like "shiny new toy" syndrome rather than based on anything people have seen. A lot of players' reputations seem to grow the longer they are out of the team.

Shiny new toy or people who watch and understand football realise that if your theory was also correct that no one would ever move up a level and play ever? Three teams alone came up form the Championship and have players showing up and showing up well, Spence would himself likely be playing for Forest week in week out and doing well against the same oppo we are playing so maybe there is more than one view on this. Lets be straight here too, Royal has been poor for week, would playing Spence show up worse, same, better? I would say he would be ok for two of those outcomes and we would have a player closer to having the experience you would like to have him ready.

Shiny new toy or people who watch and understand football realise that if your theory was also correct that no one would ever move up a level and play ever? Three teams alone came up form the Championship and have players showing up and showing up well, Spence would himself likely be playing for Forest week in week out and doing well against the same oppo we are playing so maybe there is more than one view on this. Lets be straight here too, Royal has been poor for week, would playing Spence show up worse, same, better? I would say he would be ok for two of those outcomes and we would have a player closer to having the experience you would like to have him ready.

My theory is not to not play him. It’s to break him in easily. Play him in the cups. Maybe send him on loan like we did with Sess. The manager clearly doesn’t think he’s ready.

Royal is taking brick, and rightly so. He was brainless on Saturday but he’s done well for us this season. Especially defensively. Look at how many good chances we’ve conceded with him on the pitch. We dropped him for one game, against the worst side in the league, and we leaked chances for fun. Now correlation doesn’t equal causation but Royal has been good defensively this season.

We have an international right back in reserve in Doherty who, to a degree, is proven at this level. As a wing back, he was excellent for wolves and very good for us until he got injured last season.

He’s the logical option here.

Klopp has made a habit of not throwing lads in. They sit on the bench for a few months and observe. Robertson is probably the best example. Woolwich sent Saliba out on loan for several seasons before playing him. I honestly think Spence is in that same boat. A lot of potential but I wouldn’t throw him in yet.

Back