• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Djed Spence

The lad has just turned 22. He'll get plenty of opportunities I'm sure. Is he ready to be a PL regular now? I'd have question marks and think Doherty would be a better option right now. But, to be fair, I've often been wrong on players. However, I trust the manager on this one - he knows football and he's seen a lot more of Spence than me or anyone here.

I don't understand why so many supporters are pushing so hard for him to play. It almost feels like "shiny new toy" syndrome rather than based on anything people have seen. A lot of players' reputations seem to grow the longer they are out of the team.

Have you watched that highlight reel of Spence above? Has Spence vs Arsenal too. Looked ready then - don't you think he should look better with the great players at Spurs?

Klopp has made a habit of not throwing lads in. They sit on the bench for a few months and observe. Robertson is probably the best example. Woolwich sent Saliba out on loan for several seasons before playing him. I honestly think Spence is in that same boat. A lot of potential but I wouldn’t throw him in yet.

But thats just semantics, he was sent on loan last year and was RB of the year in the Championship, yes from another club but had he been our player last year and sent on loan to that success then there is no difference? Had he played Saturday and we lost what difference would it have truly made, we lost 3-1 and went to ten men playing the faithful and within the guidelines you support so it just shows its not bullet proof.

I would take Doherty over Royal, just to be clear, its not about shiny and new its about, likely to be better

Have you watched that highlight reel of Spence above? Has Spence vs Arsenal too. Looked ready then - don't you think he should look better with the great players at Spurs?

It doesn't always work like that though. Players can look good in one off games or in poor teams but when they step up, they aren't able for it. Bigger expectation, more media focus, bigger crowd, tougher crowd. A bad early experience and confidence gets shot and you're on a downward spiral. We've signed a lot of players over the years who looked good with other clubs and their balls shrank with us.

But thats just semantics, he was sent on loan last year and was RB of the year in the Championship, yes from another club but had he been our player last year and sent on loan to that success then there is no difference? Had he played Saturday and we lost what difference would it have truly made, we lost 3-1 and went to ten men playing the faithful and within the guidelines you support so it just shows its not bullet proof.

I would take Doherty over Royal, just to be clear, its not about shiny and new its about, likely to be better

Jesus, a young lad comes in for his full debut and plays badly in a NLD and we lose 3-1...that'd take some strong mentality to overcome.

You both may be right on Spence. There is a possibility he comes in and is the answer to our prayers. But you have to accept that there is also a chance that he's not ready yet and if that's the case and we throw him in too early, we could ruin him. The man best placed to make that decision is Conte as he knows more about the game than the rest of us and sees Spence up close. With all the information we have to hand, Doherty is the logical choice here for me.

The lad has just turned 22. He'll get plenty of opportunities I'm sure. Is he ready to be a PL regular now? I'd have question marks and think Doherty would be a better option right now. But, to be fair, I've often been wrong on players. However, I trust the manager on this one - he knows football and he's seen a lot more of Spence than me or anyone here.

I don't understand why so many supporters are pushing so hard for him to play. It almost feels like "shiny new toy" syndrome rather than based on anything people have seen. A lot of players' reputations seem to grow the longer they are out of the team.
I don’t think it’s shiny new toy
I think it’s because the current option is beige and not exciting in any level. If we keep on doing the same things, but expect different results we’re stupid
We are doing that with royal trying to expect him to offer something in attack he simply can’t. So we need to find another way or another player

I think it’s because the current option is beige and not exciting in any level. If we keep on doing the same things, but expect different results we’re stupid
We are doing that with royal trying to expect him to offer something in attack he simply can’t. So we need to find another way or another player

That’s a fair point although I’d argue we’ve done okay with Royal. Believe me, I wanted to kick the brick out of him for Saturday as much as the next man, but defensively, he’s been excellent this season and that’s been a big part of us getting results.

However, I see the argument for replacing him. What I can’t fathom is why so many want an unproven 22 year old with no top level experience when we have a proven international wing back who has a track record in this league in reserve.

That’s a fair point although I’d argue we’ve done okay with Royal. Believe me, I wanted to kick the brick out of him for Saturday as much as the next man, but defensively, he’s been excellent this season and that’s been a big part of us getting results.

However, I see the argument for replacing him. What I can’t fathom is why so many want an unproven 22 year old with no top level experience when we have a proven international wing back who has a track record in this league in reserve.
I’m more than happy with Doherty bug think without Kulu he will suffer
Soence has pace and running which is needed when you don’t have a right wing forward
Doherty is about under lapping which works so well with Kulus smarts
Spence is a bit of both
I also rate Spence’s aerial side where I’ve seen him do really well
Arsenal were swing every cross from Odegard to our back tight stick and royal dealt with most of them. We can’t lose that IMO as Romero isn’t great in the air

Something tells me Doherty is out of the equation completely tbh - the lack of game time since returning from injury is pretty damning, you would expect to have seen him rotate in at least a little even if just to save Emerson from fatigue

Something tells me Doherty is out of the equation completely tbh - the lack of game time since returning from injury is pretty damning, you would expect to have seen him rotate in at least a little even if just to save Emerson from fatigue

I am very surprised he hasn’t featured more to be fair. He’d done so well last season in the spell before he got injured that I’m amazed he hasn’t gotten more time this year. Will be interesting to see what Conte will do.

He will probably stump us all and play Sess and Perisic as the wing backs again…

I’m seeing a lot of Spurs fans clamour for Spence to replace Royal. Won’t happen. Doherty will be in.

Spence is a good prospect but he’s still raw.

He may well be raw but he was still able to give 2 man of the match performances against premier league teams in the Cup last season

So what's up with Conte, is he right or wrong. You can't criticise Royal for playing a position he isn't great at if he is following instructions . In fact he's trying his best and doing a decent job at it too.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

So what's up with Conte, is he right or wrong. You can't criticise Royal for playing a position he isn't great at if he is following instructions . In fact he's trying his best and doing a decent job at it too.

This is so important for, its not quite working for us at the moment, mainly imho because of square pegs in round holes, but they are all trying.
Given time, either to shape the players or replace them, i think conte will come good.
At worst by this time next year i think we will look a lot different.
Proper WBs that take some of the pressure off will do wonders for us.

The only thing you can dig royal out for us the red card
I’d argue he is doing the best he can
But his best isn’t as good, imo as we could get from others

Is there a reason why we didn’t loan him back to Forest if he was a club signing and not a conte one? Surely a season in the prem with Forest would have done the world of good?

I can only hope that Conte is preparing for an eventual start this season. Though I can't understand how difficult Conte's football is. He seems overly strict.

Is there a reason why we didn’t loan him back to Forest if he was a club signing and not a conte one? Surely a season in the prem with Forest would have done the world of good?

We're not allowed to loan new signings to EPL clubs. He would have had to go to the championship or abroad.

His next appearance might not actually be for another month until we play Forest again in the EFL/Carling/Coca Cola/Worthingtons/Energy Drink Trophy.

I suppose if we win our next 2 CL games he could appear in the last game of the group but I would be confident of us qualifying with a game to spare right now.

It's a shame, I just hope he plays well when he gets his chance

We're not allowed to loan new signings to EPL clubs. He would have had to go to the championship or abroad.

Yeah. Also some reports that he didn't want to sign for someone just to go straight out on loan.

A long wait for a start for him. Can only hope he's developing in training and that when he gets his chance he'll be better for it.

Maybe came across roostery and a little self entitled and this will humble him a little. I predict that once he gets his chance he will excel under Conte and remember the hard times

Back