• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Diego's Living Room Thread...

I have the 684s yes, in black finish, and a NAD C355BEE stereo integrated amp, 2x80W. Could probably bring down the building if played to its potential, but I haven't dared go anywhere close yet as I have neighbours.

The one thing I miss most is a centre speaker so I could turn up the dialogue somewhat. Yesterday I watched Fragile, a horror set at a children's hospital, and they were whispering all the time, then suddenly the ghost appears and BOOOM! Might look into a surround receiver in the future if money allow, but it's quite low on any list of priorities at the moment.

If you are going for 600 series B&W take a look at the Monitor Audio Silver RX range. They come in nicer finishes (Real wood veneer or gloss), have proper di-pole rear surround speakers and are easier to drive than the B&W's, I would suggest going for a more powerful amp than the Denon you had mentioned before if possible. This will give you better performance for music, something like the Pioneer VSX-921 would be an excellent choice, really nice looking amp too! Marry that with a Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-Ray player and you have the basis for a quality AV set up with great stereo and AV performance.

If you are going for 600 series B&W take a look at the Monitor Audio Silver RX range. They come in nicer finishes (Real wood veneer or gloss), have proper di-pole rear surround speakers and are easier to drive than the B&W's, I would suggest going for a more powerful amp than the Denon you had mentioned before if possible. This will give you better performance for music, something like the Pioneer VSX-921 would be an excellent choice, really nice looking amp too! Marry that with a Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-Ray player and you have the basis for a quality AV set up with great stereo and AV performance.

But where do I get the money from?! lol. I wish... I was looking at the monitor audio BX range, which is more affordable for me.

600 series B&W is same price range as the Silver RX, no? Also go into any Sevenoaks and you will be able to haggle at least 15% off the monitor audio range as they make massive margin on it.

600 series B&W is same price range as the Silver RX, no? Also go into any Sevenoaks and you will be able to haggle at least 15% off the monitor audio range as they make massive margin on it.

True... I just can't afford the B&W 600 series either! haha. Well I shouldn't really... but maybe... lol

So the folks over on AVforums reckon a rule of thumb should be the split spent on Receiver and Speakers are typically 1:3... so £500 receiver should mean around £1500 speakers... sound about right?

Depends on the speakers to be honest, I hate these costing rules. I always tried to match the speaker system with the amp it sounded best on for the customers budget. If you have 2k to spend on amp and speakers I can throw some ideas at you if you want.

Quick system for you:

Pioneer VSX-922 - Amp
Polk Audio PSW111 - Sub
Polk Audio OWM3 - Surrounds
Dali Zensor 5 - Front L/R
Dali Zensor Vokal - Centre

5.1 = £1790.00
7.1 = £2025.00

Would sound freaking wicked mate, trust the Boonie.

Quick system for you:

Pioneer VSX-922 - Amp
Polk Audio PSW111 - Sub

5.1 = £1790.00
7.1 = £2025.00

I shouldn't have asked you for any help, I will end up with no sofa, bed or fridge.

I'm going to sound like a complete idiot noob here... but isn't it usually preferred to go with same manufacturer for surrounds, fronts, speakers etc?

LOL!

Important across the front, not so on the rears. Unless you are building a real audiophile system for DVDA and SACD playback. The sub is very important so if you were going to upgrade anything that would be the thing I would do, however those Polk sub-woofers are brilliant for the money (I have 2 at home myself). The Dali speakers look great and sound fantastic, dont need a lot of driving either as they are super efficient.

If you wanted to lower the budget then yes I would go for the Monitor Audio bronze, they just don't look very nice IMO (vinyl pretend wood)

systemlayout.jpg
[/IMG]

Just realised I missed out the sub, I would put that to the left of the sofa just the other side of the column. Oh and I got the right/left speaker round the wrong way.

Diego - been very busy last few days but will post something before the end of the week

No worries pal. You really don't have to, just if your bored.

Boonie that's the wall I had earmarked too... makes sense. Need sofa's for others too though. or other seating, need to think about the layout of the overall room. This will obviously be the AV zone

You should go with a floating wall to put your TV on, I've got one and it looks pretty awesome with the lights on just behind it.

Boonie - as we're talking AV, what would you recommend for very cheap flush mounted speakers?

I really do mean cheap as they're for the living room and replacing tiny little Bose things that only the wife uses. Every penny I can save here goes towards the cinema room upstairs.

/hijack

Quick system for you:

Pioneer VSX-922 - Amp
Polk Audio PSW111 - Sub

5.1 = £1790.00
7.1 = £2025.00

Are the Polk gear better than if I was to get the entire Zensor 5.1? Or you doing that for budget reasons? I've seen it for around £1300 and the Pioneer VSX-922 is around 500...

so what would be a better option?

The polk rear speakers are wide dispersion so better for surround than the dali stand mounts, the polk sub is just freaking brilliant and far better than the dali.

Boonie - as we're talking AV, what would you recommend for very cheap flush mounted speakers?

I really do mean cheap as they're for the living room and replacing tiny little Bose things that only the wife uses. Every penny I can save here goes towards the cinema room upstairs.

/hijack

Very cheap aint in my mantra but I would look for a pair of second hand Monitor Audio Radius 45, I run some in the kitchen with a sub but they work ok without.

So what you reckon?

Could either have a long unit with all the boxes hidden, or go with the simple (cheesy?) fireplace look and all the sky, av boxes to the left on the side.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 84
  • tv-fireplace.jpg
    tv-fireplace.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 87
  • tv-unit.jpg
    tv-unit.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 84
Very cheap aint in my mantra but I would look for a pair of second hand Monitor Audio Radius 45, I run some in the kitchen with a sub but they work ok without.

Actually the only benefit to the Bose system is that much of the mid range comes out of what they term a bass unit. With a sub attached and the ranges shifted in the amp the sound is ok.

All I really need is an equivalent to the old Bose kit (good higher frequencies).

Would you still recommend the Monitors?

Sorry, one more question, they don't look like flush mount - are they ok in a 'box' in the wall?

Back