• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dempsey

First Season Strikers

RVP - P21 - 16 goals
Jelavic - P13 - 9 goals
Demba Ba - P12 - 7 goals
Lukaku - P19 - 7 goals
Michu - P20 - 13 goals
Dempsey - P16 - 4 goals

Needs to pull his finger out

Jeez, what an invalid comparison. Dempsey does not even play in the same position as the rest of the players you listed. Dempsey is not a target man like RVP, Jelavic, Ba or Lukalu. Michu plays sometime as the target man sometimes as the withdrawn forward. And none of them sometimes start as a left-mid like Dempsey. Also, Dempsey started only 12 games and he was usually subbed out at around the 60-70 minute mark.

would it not be fairer to compare him with attacking midfielders than strikers? last season for Fulham he only played 5 games from a CF position, the rest was in the various AM roles (L/C/R) and this season for us he has mostly been behind the forward

Yes. Are you?

These are goal statistics for forward players, in their FIRST season at a new club.

I've been fair and not just listed world class strikers.

I've included Ba at West Ham, Lukaku at West Brom, Michu at Swansea. Comparable to a player of Dempsey's high standards.

Let's hope that Dempsey can cement his place in front of Adebayor over the next few weeks.

He has the potential to score 20 a season.

I ask because I think it's very unreasonable to put so much weight on a rather small sample size.

He's started 12 league matches this season, that's not exactly a lot. Considering that he didn't have proper pre-season and took some time settling in I think his return in goals and assists is pretty decent. 4 goals and 3 assists.

I also ask because although you didn't include only world class strikers you did include only players who have had great starts to the season. You've clearly cherry picked players and periods of time where they have had great success.

You've chosen to include Jelavic's first season, 9 in 13. But you've ignored his 6 in 20 this season.
At the same time you've ignored Lukaku's poor first season at Chelsea and just counted this season.

Why not include players like Giroud, or how about Torres' first half a season for Chelsea?

There are 19 other teams in the PL, when you can pick and choose the players from some time back who have started the best of course there will be some players who've had really hot patches straight away while others have started poorly. Comparing Dempsey only to those who have started brilliantly or very well doesn't seem fair at all.

Then there's the point that just about every player on your list have played as out and out strikers for just about all of those games while Dempsey hasn't.

So yes, I'm serious.

The Premier League dubious goals panel have ruled that Tottenham Hotspur's third goal against Reading on 1 January 2013 has been confirmed as a Clint Dempsey goal.

United one of the biggest clubs in the World. Beckham played for them...

How much must UA be loving Dempsey at the minute??? A real chance for us to corner that market it seems.

I like his atitude and his performances have improved massively from the beginning of the season. Actually all our new signings this season (bar maybe Ade) appear to have really good atitudes.

I like his atitude and his performances have improved massively from the beginning of the season. Actually all our new signings this season (bar maybe Ade) appear to have really good atitudes.

Indeed.
I think it's why Ade was not AVB's first-choice, but personally I still think we miss even a not fully functional Ade, he gives the team a huge presence...

Indeed.
I think it's why Ade was not AVB's first-choice, but personally I still think we miss even a not fully functional Ade, he gives the team a huge presence...

Yea I felt we were lightweight at times. But we should be going crazy to bring in the right striker as soon as possible

He had a great year for Fulham last year scoring loads of goals and I think people have expected that same return for us but his stats for previous years were much lower. The fact is though he is a very good, clever player who works hard which I think for what we paid was a bargain transfer. Not sure what peoples expectations are to have deemed him a failure even before his good run of form.

There was a lot of absolute nonsense talked about Dempsey, which was quite hilarious to read at the time, and remains so now.:)

A top 4 level, quality Prem player, and yet at what £6m, he was described as a 'panic buy' and so on, ridiculous. He was a brilliant buy. Yes he took his time to get going but at £6m, it was a chance well worth taking. All credit to Levy on that one.

Last edited:
Exactly what we need to be fair

- Hard working (doesn't disappear in games), attacks the box (a failure we as a team have had for a long time) and contributes important goals.

For what 6M? complete daylight robbery.

Would be interesting to see him alongside a high level striker (or even just Ade in form)

I wouldn't even mind seeing Dempsey up top on his own for tricky away games. Have Parker/Dembele/Hudd in midfield perhaps.

Loved it when Dempsey gave Vidic some of his own medicine and knocked the fudger over when we attacked in the 2nd half.
Proper NFL blocking.

Loved it when Dempsey gave Vidic some of his own medicine and knocked the fudger over when we attacked in the 2nd half.
Proper NFL blocking.

haha I saw that just now on MOTD2 I cracked myself up. I think it was the Lennon to Defoe chance. Was so so funny.

Dempsey has definitely proved me wrong BUT I still dont think he is that creative cute type player if you know what I mean. He is starting to score which is a positive and starting to look like part of the team which is credit to him but not the intelligent visionary that could unlock defenses. He has shown one or two glimpses in the past ten or so games tho.

There was a lot of absolute nonsense talked about Dempsey, which was quite hilarious to read at the time, and remains so now.:)

A top 4 level, quality Prem player, and yet at what £6m, he was described as a 'panic buy' and so on, ridiculous. He was a brilliant buy. Yes he took his time to get going but at £6m, it was a chance well worth taking. All credit to Levy on that one.

Cannot let you have all this to yourself...:lol:...been there myself all season and spent much of the away game at Emirates Marketing Project signing songs for him precisely because I was sick of the stick the geezer gets (and had a few beers hic!)...

Proper NFL blocking.

And that's why he has been so important for our squad. Even when he hasn't been playing well he has simply never gone hiding! Top man.

Awful awful player.

Hilarious reading this thread from earlier! Lol, what the fudge do I know! He's been terrific in the last few months. Incredible turnaround when early on he didn't look like he could even trap a ball. Love the guy now, yes I am fickle, and that is football in general.

To be fair he needed to prove his worth in a spurs shirt, and he certainly has done so.

Hilarious reading this thread from earlier! Lol, what the fudge do I know! He's been terrific in the last few months. Incredible turnaround when early on he didn't look like he could even trap a ball. Love the guy now, yes I am fickle, and that is football in general.

To be fair he needed to prove his worth in a spurs shirt, and he certainly has done so.

To be fair, you post on emotion mate. Trust me, you were most certainly far far from alone. There are others who will (by their own choice it appears) remain silent....

Makes us Americans proud.

Should've scored 2+ today though... not his best game by a long shot, but seems to come up in big moments. Love the attitude he plays with.

Back