• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dempsey

I wouldn't even mind seeing Dempsey up top on his own for tricky away games. Have Parker/Dembele/Hudd in midfield perhaps.

He cannot play as the furthest forward IMO, he gets involved in build up play and takes long shots or makes late runs into the box, all of which he is very adept at, but he isn't great with his back to goal, or at breaking the offside trap as he has not got the pace, both prerequisites when playing as the lone striker. An emergency option in lieu of Ade and Defoe but nothing more, his secondary positions should be on the flanks if anywhere.

article-0-170E6603000005DC-123_634x434.jpg

120256657_Dempsey_375774c.jpg

_65401276_hi016984827.jpg

Tottenham+Hotspur+v+Manchester+United+-+Premier+League

140167-330-0.jpg

Last edited:
I always liked him at Fulham, without ever really wanting us to sign him. I didn't mind when we did, but as time went on I grew frustrated with him, especially how he seemed to be slowing down our play for a time. However, he now seems to have settled and becoming a very useful player for us.

To be fair, you post on emotion mate. Trust me, you were most certainly far far from alone. There are others who will (by their own choice it appears) remain silent....

Na I'm not always emotional, I think I was right with my early season criticism. His early season form was beyond shocking and I was stunned at how bad he was playing at times. But I certainly never thought he'd become what he's showing today

Na I'm not always emotional, I think I was right with my early season criticism. His early season form was beyond shocking and I was stunned at how bad he was playing at times. But I certainly never thought he'd become what he's showing today

I'll amend then to say that you are not the only person who didn't see the early part of this season in context and thus voiced your displeasures!
;)

I wouldn't even mind seeing Dempsey up top on his own for tricky away games. Have Parker/Dembele/Hudd in midfield perhaps.

He played that position at Norwich. I wouldn't recommend it as being a position he should play for Tottenham again. He was awful.

I like Clint now, it seems I was harsh on him early on and failed to recognise that he hadn't had a pre-season.

You know one of the things that really stood out yday was the way he celebrated with that ballboy... hes taken to the club now. Hands up, I was slating him, I have been an ass to you sir.

Same here. I was playing a gig the night of transfer deadline day. Was late going on stage, and as I was going on, we had just tried to revive the Moutinho deal. Coming off stage I was told we'd signed Dempsey. Just didn't make sense to me, and I was ambivalent to him for a while. But he has proven to be a valuable player. Winner and an equaliser against Man Utd? GHod bless America

Cannot let you have all this to yourself...:lol:...been there myself all season and spent much of the away game at Emirates Marketing Project signing songs for him precisely because I was sick of the stick the geezer gets (and had a few beers hic!)...

Well said Steff :)

I'll amend then to say that you are not the only person who didn't see the early part of this season in context and thus voiced your displeasures!
;)

well said again.

Yes Clint was poor early doors, but people talking about 'panic buys' and never rated him were ludicrously wrong.

He was a top quality top 4 player at Fulham, and a fantastic bargain for £6m. Well done Levy and not well done the Spurs fans who dissed him when we signed him.

Incidentally all credit to the Spurs fans now holding their hands up and admitting they got it wrong.

I think there's a few more to come yet :)

Last edited:
;)

He was fudging abject until the West Ham match so fans were entitled to criticise his performances. Just like now they are entitled to give him all the credit he deserves.

He's getting back to fitness. The majority of the time, he doesn't do much (partly because we're not noticing him in good positions) but he has a knack of being in the right place at the right time - hence, good productivity and critical goals. You could say that about the likes of Darren Bent (great positioning, average finishing), but Bent hides where Dempsey hussles. Deuce is more of a poacher than Defoe too imo, it's just a shame he's not faster and not particularly inclined to lead the line. I don't think AVB requires his striker to be good with his back to goal, considering how much he likes Leandro - the main criteria seem to be clinicalness, good movement, and pace on the counter.

I don't think Dempsey has the technical quality and guile to be a starter, considering we'll likely only play with one striker and that one AVB prefers to be a pure-ish no. 9 (and I don't think we can afford three players as selfish/shot-happy as Defoe, Bale, and Dempsey in the same XI) but he's a very useful card to have in the deck. Will be a key squad/tactical player next season imo.

(It's interesting to me to see how AVB has started to be swayed by the 'character' types in our squad like Dempsey, who's had to fight his way into the starting XI at most of the clubs in his career so far. Dawson was originally the one CB left out in the cold, probably because he's the least technically gifted of our defenders, but these days AVB actually seems to quite like him - maybe because he's Captain Popular, the natural leader in this group, but his character must be so refreshing compared to John Terry! AVB/Freund have also been very enthusiastic about highlighting Lennon's workrate, Friedal's maturity, and Parker's leadership. I've also heard that Walker is a very hard worker on the training pitch, it's just that he's not very adept at staying calm and executing them during games so far.

We must look like a bunch of saints compared to Chelsea :lol:)

Last edited:
I think 100% Dempsey has the quality and guile to be a starter. He'd always be in my team, fitness and rotation permitting.

I'd rather have him in the team than Ade or JD

He was fudging abject until the West Ham match so fans were entitled to criticise his performances. Just like now they are entitled to give him all the credit he deserves.

Of course you're entitled to say hat you like. But I disagree. Despite all the early season difficulties, Mr Abject earned us 6 points by being in the right place at the right time prior to his personal performance improvement, something I pray more of our attacking stars can grasp more. Especially Azza. We never lose when he scores!!!!!!

On going back to the early pages of this thread to see the post Diego quoted about his old post regarding Dempsey i found this interesting.

A certain spotter says on the 12th November:

"Just to add - if Arry was still here - Dempsey, Sigurdsson and Dembele would have been labelled vintage MotD signings (in a derogatory manner, of course). What are they now, out of interest - and were those Levy's or Avi B's targets?"

pretty fair question i say...actually very fair and reasonable question. Then on the 28th November the same poster responds to an article of AVB saying he gave the green light to the Dempsey signing with..

"I hope that settles the who-bought-who extravaganza for a month at least."

when questioned about what that AVB quote actually proves..the same poster says..

"The suggestion of AVB having Dempsey forced upon him as a purchase and not even having a chance to approve it"

IT WAS HIM THAT BLOODY SUGGESTED IT FFS. WTF kind of split personality disorder is that?

On going back to the early pages of this thread to see the post Diego quoted about his old post regarding Dempsey i found this interesting.

A certain spotter says on the 12th November:

"Just to add - if Arry was still here - Dempsey, Sigurdsson and Dembele would have been labelled vintage MotD signings (in a derogatory manner, of course). What are they now, out of interest - and were those Levy's or Avi B's targets?"

pretty fair question i say...actually very fair and reasonable question. Then on the 28th November the same poster responds to an article of AVB saying he gave the green light to the Dempsey signing with..

"I hope that settles the who-bought-who extravaganza for a month at least."

when questioned about what that AVB quote actually proves..the same poster says..

"The suggestion of AVB having Dempsey forced upon him as a purchase and not even having a chance to approve it"

IT WAS HIM THAT BLOODY SUGGESTED IT FFS. WTF kind of split personality disorder is that?

I agree the first question about whether these were AVB or Levy signings is interesting. I think the transfer committee centered on targets, and I think AVB would certainly have been OK with them. First choices, all of them? No, I don't think so, but on a list of 'I can work with these players'? I think so, yes. I have to think Levy would've alerted him to the imminent Verts and Sigurdsson signings whilst they negotiated AVB's position. We simply cannot afford to do deals for players who won't be used/don't fit. I think it also explains why Ade took so long, as I suggested a long time ago, I don't think he was the primary target, we couldn't get those, so we closed the easy deal on a very very decent option late in the window.

Back