• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dempsey

Re: Welcome Dempsey!

Love the guy. Tries harder than anyone else on the field most games. Plus he's got great technique for a guy derided as a one-season wonder. Believe me, signing him was one of the best things we could have done in this window. \o/

Dempsey-Starting-Positions-Goals.png

That pic

Interesting, so most of his games last season were played on the left wing? 23 goals and 6 assists overall last season though - that's a fantastic stat having played many games on the wing rather than in the middle.

I honestly think our attacking players have the potential to develop great chemistry, especially since they are all very different. They also have much higher work rate than the arguably more talented players who were in our team last season. I know people didn't think Siggy played very well against Norwich but I liked what I saw in terms of his positioning and work rate. Some of our players didn't notice him getting into pockets of space or making runs but that will come with time, and Dembele is used to picking out those passes to Dempsey who will of course be in our team too. I may be wrong but I think Siggy is going to come to resemble what Lampard was at a younger age.

I was thinking Bale would stay on the left and Dempsey on the right of a 4-3-3, sort of the way AVB did at Chelsea with Sturridge on the right and Mata on the left (one player who is more lethal in the box and one who is more creative). Then a midfield of Sigurdsson, Dembele, and Sandro/Parker and I think that is a great team on top of a much stronger defense than we had last season. We are a little thin in midfield and up front but hopefully we can correct that in January.

don't think we're thin in the midfield - especially if you throw dembele and dempsey in the fray.
i'm afraid on the contrary we have too much choice and AVB may have a tough time figuring out his best midfield.

on the OS dempsey is listed as a striker though. him playing behind Ade is where I see the best fit - so they both get supply from Bale, Lennon, Dembele. I hope that we will eventually play with one DM (Sandro or Parker) so that we can fit Siggy in.

Right now, if all fit I would probably play the midfield/forwards

.......................Parker........Dembele
Lennon...................Dempsey.....................Bale
............................Adebayor

I like that we have options though.

Bale injured? Dempsey to the left and Sigurdsson in his place
Playing a team who will park the bus? Drop Parker and play Huddlestone
Parker injured? Put sandro in.
Sandro injured? Put Livermore in.
Dembele injured? Adjust slightly and use Huddlestone.
Debele probably the most likely understudy to Lennon.
Adebayor out? If you dont want to adjust completely to using Defoe push Dempsey forward and Sigurdsson behind him.

There is ample opportunity to tweak tactics with selections within that framework, and there seems to be more cover than previously.

As good as Sandro is you can hardly say this season he's been good enough to dislodge Parker....

I think Parker offers leadership and experience qualities lacking in that midfield otherwise.

I think when Parker has to do a pure DM/shield the defence role there are very few better than him. Its when he tries to play football more he struggles.

Especially playing beside Dembele who by his nature runs ahead and leaves his position frequently I think a solid, sitting player is essential.

I think Sandro is quality, by the way, just right now would prefer what Parker offers.

we might just see a front 4 like this

Bale - Sig/Dembele - Dempsey
Adebayor

With Dempsey and Bale cutting inside from wide are onto their stronger foot - allowing them to slide balls in for 1 of the other 3 or play in a the fullbacks that have occupied the space they have vacated.

With 2 of Parker, Sandro and Livermore to sweep up anything should the move break down.

Guess we shall see.
Could be great going forward, but could get destroyed on the counter attack

we might just see a front 4 like this

Bale - Sig/Dembele - Dempsey
Adebayor

With Dempsey and Bale cutting inside from wide are onto their stronger foot - allowing them to slide balls in for 1 of the other 3 or play in a the fullbacks that have occupied the space they have vacated.

With 2 of Parker, Sandro and Livermore to sweep up anything should the move break down.

Guess we shall see.
Could be great going forward, but could get destroyed on the counter attack

Maybe, but should be noted those 3 attacking mids behind Ade all work very hard and cover a lot of ground. Was very impresed by Dembele's contribution defensively....

Its no shock that when we didnt have Parker last season we struggled. Fcuk me, we havent had Parker this season and we have struggled. Gets on over Sandro every game for me, anyway this is a Dempsey thread so he should be in over Siggurdsson every day of the week, hes 29 and we need to use his experience and last years at his peak now

Longer term I fully expect Sandro to succeed Parker.

In the short term we need a pure DM, in the longer term I think we will switch to wanting a little more from the position.

I also would have Dempsey ahead of Sigurdsson just now, his experience will count for a hell of a lot for AVB IMO - will be able to help him get results on the board quicker. Dempseys versatility will IMO mean Sigurdsson still gets plenty of games, as I can see Dempsey playing up front, LW and RW as we rotate or get injuries.

have to smile a bit with people putting non wingers on the wing (something redknapp was heavily criticised for , not to mention playing bale on the right)

the wonky always has a place in life!!!!!!!

Its no shock that when we didnt have Parker last season we struggled. Fcuk me, we havent had Parker this season and we have struggled. Gets on over Sandro every game for me, anyway this is a Dempsey thread so he should be in over Siggurdsson every day of the week, hes 29 and we need to use his experience and last years at his peak now

prett sur we had parker for our bad run last season?

So Dempsey has shirt no 2?

I dislike seeing forwards with anything lower then no 7...

But if he breaks Terry the c**t's jaw and bangs in the goals, who cares (and he has quite the record for breaking jaws :p)

have to smile a bit with people putting non wingers on the wing (something redknapp was heavily criticised for , not to mention playing bale on the right)

Everything requires context buddy. We arent playing Redknapps way now are we? So who is to say its a bad thing?

Actually I dont think that putting Dempsey wide is ideal (though he is particularly effective from the left) and would have preferred more "like for like" replacements to Bale and Lennon - but the way we are setting up appears to work well for a wide player coming inside a lot - which is what Dempsey would be. So I think it would work better than trying to pin him in the side as an orthodox winger.

the wonky always has a place in life!!!!!!!

Who coined the phrase!? You are preaching to the choir on that one

I'm really happy with this transfer, the oooooooonly downside is that alongside the rest of our strikeforce, he isn't young. At 29 we'll hopefully see him do well for us for 2/3 seasons but I'd be surprised at anymore than that. Quality player though, versatile also.

Ade's 28 which is fine but Defoe almost hitting thirty as well as not being able to contribute positively to our system as well as tying himself down to a long term contract meaning Levy will want 20m for him, it seems we'll have a Jenas/Bentley-esque problem in him hanging around. Done some terrific things for the club but I just don't see it working long-term or short-term

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1150755/clint-dempsey-speaks-about-fulham-saga,-looking-ahead-?cc=5901

MIAMI -- Clint Dempsey started Monday with some fitness testing, then spoke eagerly of training for a few more hours in South Florida's sweltering heat and humidity.

It sure beats the waiting game he's been playing the last few months.

The U.S. forward finally has matches to prepare for again. He hasn't played in a competitive game since June, a streak he hopes to see end Friday when the Americans head to Jamaica for the start of a home-and-home World Cup qualifying series that could go a long way toward which nation gets to take control of Group A.

And it all comes not long after his status in Europe was finally sorted out -- with him now playing for Tottenham after more than five years with Fulham.

"I'm very relieved. Looking forward to getting back to playing," Dempsey said. "I think the new team is a perfect fit. They qualified for a place last season for Champions League but missed out on a technicality. But it's still in London. My family doesn't have to move far. My daughter, she can go to another international school and be on the same curriculum. It couldn't have worked out any better in that regard."

The Americans will train in Miami until flying to Jamaica on Wednesday.

Dempsey led Fulham with 23 goals last season, and has long spoken of his desire to play at the highest level -- which, for him, means Champions League. Tottenham finished fourth in the Premier League last season, but missed out on getting into the Champions League after Chelsea won the title and England's last qualifying spot, the "technicality" Dempsey spoke of.

For weeks, it seemed like Dempsey was headed to Liverpool. Talks broke down, and it wasn't until the trade window was nearly closed before Fulham struck a deal with Tottenham.

In his eyes, whether Tottenham is actually in the elite tournament field or not, Dempsey sees himself now as part of a Champions League-caliber club.

"I'm disappointed in the way I was portrayed, in the end, with Fulham," Dempsey said. "I always wanted to play at the highest level possible. That was never a secret. That's something I always said. It would be a dream of mine to play Champions League and you want to play on the best team possible to try to get there. That's definitely a team with a lot of quality in it, but now it's all about the team that I'm with."

The saga started over the summer, when Dempsey -- who was in the last year of his Fulham deal -- first was linked to Liverpool when Reds coach Brendan Rodgers acknowledged inquiring about his availability. Fulham coach Martin Jol later said Dempsey refused to play for the club, one of the salvos in a back-and-forth that led to Dempsey tweeting that there were two sides to the story.

On Monday, Dempsey said he was simply relieved to look ahead.

"There were some things that were said that weren't true," Dempsey said. "That's in the past now. It's about looking toward the future and like I said, I'm looking forward to playing with Tottenham. It's a great team, a great club. I want to thank the fans of Fulham. It's been 5½ great years. Some of my best memories in football have been there. I want to thank the chairman for taking a chance on me from MLS and I wish them well in the future."

Of course, his future -- his immediate future, anyway -- is wearing the red, white and blue against Jamaica over the next couple weeks.

U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann says if Dempsey is physically ready, he'll play Friday, when the Americans look to secure their hold on the top spot in the group. Dempsey said his baseline testing Monday went well, and that the break from matches might actually prove to help him.

"Ready to get going. Excited," Dempsey said. "Feel like I've gotten a good rest because I have been going nonstop for a number of years now. It's been kind of nice to let my body heal up, because I was pretty beat up after last season."

The U.S. and Jamaica have 1-0-1 records in Group A qualifying for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. The Americans have never won a World Cup qualifier in Jamaica, adding plenty of emphasis to Friday.

"Any time you play World Cup qualifying games in another country, it's always going to be difficult," Dempsey said. "The fans are going to be really up for the game, so the players are going to be really up for the game and it's going to be a challenge."

Back