• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dempsey

Re: Welcome Dempsey!

its funny how very few people wanted Dempsey before the final hours of the window and now all of a sudden he is a great signing8-[

just because everybody didn't post on here about it, you assume nobody wanted to sign him, yet more great logic.

its funny how very few people wanted Dempsey before the final hours of the window and now all of a sudden he is a great signing8-[

Lots of people said he was a good player and a decent signing when he was first linked to Liverpool and the cost was 15m.

Now he's with us for 6m. Not bad, is it.

Great signing but would have rather kept VDV ! Clint will be more direct but less creative which is probaly what we need more based on recent performances.
Well played by Levy !

Most of his starts are left wing. Doesn't seem like a rw option, because he's not a winger he starts on the left and cuts in on his right fort he goals. Obviously he isn't going to play there for us, so just off the striker wil be the best bet for him.

He's not an exciting singing but he's a good one.

I think dempsey got alot of undeserved abuse last night...

Had we not been in for moutinho at all, and we signed dempsey, i get the feeling he would have garnered a much different reaction!

I wasnt happy at first, but im delighted now, the guy is a winner

I think dempsey got alot of undeserved abuse last night...

Had we not been in for moutinho at all, and we signed dempsey, i get the feeling he would have garnered a much different reaction!

I wasnt happy at first, but im delighted now, the guy is a winner

I disagree re: different reaction, I think people recognise that he is a good player but not much better than what we have.

Heres to him proving me wrong though! I'll cheer for him just as much as anyone

Just watched a few videos of Dempsey in action (not just youtube clips). One thing I noticed about him is that he plays off of both feet more than most players. He is right footed (I think) but shoots just as well and passes with his left foot much better than your average PL player. He also uses both to dribble with. You might think these are small details but coaches/scout spend a lot of time assessing the opposition and the player movement and how to defend against it. He would be very hard to advise on. We have a player that is a lot more than a yank powerhouse that some people seem to have think we have signed.

so if we can use him to the best of his ability, and he will get us say, 15 goals, add that with Ade and Defoe's 15, we should be looking at 45 goals from them 3? will that happen? hard to say but I hope so!

Just watched a few videos of Dempsey in action (not just youtube clips). One thing I noticed about him is that he plays off of both feet more than most players. He is right footed (I think) but shoots just as well and passes with his left foot much better than your average PL player. He also uses both to dribble with. You might think these are small details but coaches/scout spend a lot of time assessing the opposition and the player movement and how to defend against it. He would be very hard to advise on. We have a player that is a lot more than a yank powerhouse that some people seem to have think we have signed.

Yes, very tidy with both feet. Loads of running, good strength, scores goals, very few weaknesses.

so if we can use him to the best of his ability, and he will get us say, 15 goals, add that with Ade and Defoe's 15, we should be looking at 45 goals from them 3? will that happen? hard to say but I hope so!

It's moneyball :D and what Arsenal did, replace Van Persie's 30+ with Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud. The idea, anyway.

We can spread the goals around, change the focus of the attack away from whoever and move it around. Hopefully make the team more of a threat and not as predictable.

astute observation. he also shields and holds on to the ball very well, and is able to turn and switch play. with bale and lennon on both wings. could cause some serious mayhem. also he has a mean free kick!

I disagree re: different reaction, I think people recognise that he is a good player but not much better than what we have.

Heres to him proving me wrong though! I'll cheer for him just as much as anyone

Not much better than what we have? What players are you referring to here?

Part of the problem last season was that whilst our first choice 11 was very strong we seemed to fall apart with just a one or maybe two injuries, at least in the most attacking positions. Bringing in more players at around the same quality as we had is a very good thing, it will allow us to rotate a bit and it will hopefully mean that we can keep performing throughout the season instead of collapsing in January or February.

Instead of playing Bale every game when we play 3 games in a week and have him run himself completely into the ground to the point of being less effective and more likely to get injured we could potentially start Dempsey wide left and have a rested Bale come on in the last half an hour to run at a by then tiring right back and then have a fit and ready Bale starting the game after that.

AVB has already commented on the flexibility we get from the versatility of Dembele, I'm guessing that's one of the reasons we signed Dempsey as well. Real options, not just first choice and backup players.

I've read a few reports of him "putting all his eggs in the Liverpool basket" and "only wanted to play for Liverpool" has anyone seen any direct quotes or articles going into greater depth? Is he happy to be here or just glad to get away from Fulham?

I've read a few reports of him "putting all his eggs in the Liverpool basket" and "only wanted to play for Liverpool" has anyone seen any direct quotes or articles going into greater depth? Is he happy to be here or just glad to get away from Fulham?

The "only wanting to play for Liverpool" comments were made by media last night after he refused to go to Villa. He didn't only want to play for Liverpool, he just didn't want to play for Aston Villa (or Fulham).

It's moneyball :D and what Arsenal did, replace Van Persie's 30+ with Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud. The idea, anyway.

We can spread the goals around, change the focus of the attack away from whoever and move it around. Hopefully make the team more of a threat and not as predictable.

I definitely agree with this. We are predictable and hopefully he will get us those goals we need at 1-1 or even 2-1 down to Norwich! please dont let this happen today!

The "only wanting to play for Liverpool" comments were made by media last night after he refused to go to Villa. He didn't only want to play for Liverpool, he just didn't want to play for Aston Villa (or Fulham).

Maybe he just didnt know Spurs were an option. Liverpool seem like a good option compared to staying at Fulham, Spurs seem like a better option compared to moving to Liverpool...

Maybe he just didnt know Spurs were an option. Liverpool seem like a good option compared to staying at Fulham, Spurs seem like a better option compared to moving to Liverpool...

All that was known (and still is known as far as I know) is that he turned down Villa, everything after that was just speculation from the press.

Another way to speculate would be: He might very well have known about our interest and that could have been why he turned down Villa. Unlike Rodgers and Redknapp AVB seems to keep his cards close to his chest and Levy doesn't let the press know much about anything unless it suits him and the club.

Thinking about it I wonder if Dempsey was more of a second choice/opportunistic buy.

We havent been linked to him at all, his signing was out of the blue.

We spent all summer chasing Willian (attacking midfielder, versatile) and when that looked like it wasnt happening reignited interest in Remy (striker/WF) which also didnt come up then get Dempsey who can cover much of the same as these two.

Thats certainly no slight on Dempsey, I think he is a quality player - just an observation on the situation.

I also think it might be a situation that actually worked out for the best - Dempsey is experienced and premiership proven - AVB needs results and fast to establish himself - this will help IMO.

I'm thrilled with this signing. Been saying for a few years we should bring him in.I think a lot of you are underestimating his ability. Comparing him to Cahill is unfair although I liked tim Clint has some obvious flair to his game and he has an eye for the killer ball in the final third wouldn't be surprised if he led us in goals this season

Back