• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy's Transfer Policy Revealed

Re: The We8Campbell Memorial ITK Thread

Well the fact avb came out on day after window shut on official site saying how he's greatful levy tried to sign moutinho. Let's be honest he didn't want to part with the money and it was for show. If levy genuinely genuinely wanted to sign moutinho he wouldn't of opened negotiations on deadline day. We're skint I can deal with that.

Let's be honest, that's conjecture and you have no idea how the transfer dealings went on that day.

Also we were rumoured to have made bids before deadline day as well.

Am a big fan of Levy - best thing to happen to Spurs for years, maybe since we did the double - however I do believe that he made a very late attempt to get Moutinho probably on the cheap. Whether it was to appease AVB or inspired by the way he picked up VdV on the chepa on the 31st a couple years ago, no-one knows. I dont believe for a minute though that he put £20m+ on the table and to be paid in a remotely immediate fashion given that, as I mentioned above and have been saying for 2-3 windows, we wont be able to splash that sort of cash til we have the stadium financed

I don't believe at all that we genuinely tried very hard for Moutinho. Dembele plays in his favored position and we'd just sprung his contract, while we've never paid over 16.5m for a player and have had to finance a number of wage increases for new contracts over the summer. From what JJ has said, my best guess is that AVB threw a bit of a tantrum since he was probably promised we'd at least try hard for Moutinho, so Levy had to at least appear to try to go for him at the last minute. How sincere this attempt was is up to you; I'll note that we've never even looked close to signing Mouts this window. Nor Willian, nor Leandro.

Personally, I believe we really do have very little fat to burn, considering the massive wage bills we're competing against will be pressuring us too, by exploding the meaning of 'fair market value' (hell, even Everton are struggling TERRIBLY with wages). The very latest figures are not out but you have to consider that wages have outpaced revenue growth in recent years, so we have less to work with than before, and there are a lot of extra costs - signing on bonuses, agent fees, "signing-out" bonuses (you have to negotiate some fee with the outgoing players since they're entitled to the remainder of their contract), etc. that are not captured in reported transfer fees alone. Indeed we had one of the highest "agent fee" bills under Redknapp, perhaps unsurprisingly.

Hence our Nelson/Saha/Pienaar/'other random geriatrics with favourable contract situations' January windows.

I don't believe at all that we genuinely tried very hard for Moutinho. Dembele plays in his favored position and we'd just sprung his contract, while we've never paid over 16.5m for a player and have had to finance a number of wage increases for new contracts over the summer. From what JJ has said, my best guess is that AVB threw a bit of a tantrum since he was probably promised we'd at least try hard for Moutinho, so Levy had to at least appear to try to go for him at the last minute. How sincere this attempt was is up to you; I'll note that we've never even looked close to signing Mouts this window. Nor Willian, nor Leandro.

Personally, I believe we really do have very little fat to burn, considering the massive wage bills we're competing against will be pressuring us too, by exploding the meaning of 'fair market value' (hell, even Everton are struggling TERRIBLY with wages). The very latest figures are not out but you have to consider that wages have outpaced revenue growth in recent years, so we have less to work with than before, and there are a lot of extra costs - signing on bonuses, agent fees, "signing-out" bonuses (you have to negotiate some fee with the outgoing players since they're entitled to the remainder of their contract), etc. that are not captured in reported transfer fees alone. Indeed we had one of the highest "agent fee" bills under Redknapp, perhaps unsurprisingly.

Hence our Nelson/Saha/Pienaar/'other random geriatrics with favourable contract situations' January windows.

In your head this is what happened, but in reality and everyone else that has a grasp of what happened in the previous window knows this wasnt the case.

Don't think so, I imagine most feel the same way Skyfarer does ... what do you think happened then?

While you're at it, what about the £38m bid for Aguero, the £30m bid for Rossi, the £23m bid for Mata and so on? Were they real? Was Levy really going to pay up when it came down to it? Did we just get rejected? Did every media source just make them up? Did Levy fly to Ukraine with genuine intention of coming back with Willian? If so then why offer about half of what they wanted?

Wouldn't be surprised if the Moutinho deal on deadline day was like the whole Aguero / Llorente / Rossi day... complete gonad*s.

I reckon Holtby and Hooper in the next week. Seems realistic.

Don't think so, I imagine most feel the same way Skyfarer does ... what do you think happened then?

While you're at it, what about the £38m bid for Aguero, the £30m bid for Rossi, the £23m bid for Mata and so on? Were they real? Was Levy really going to pay up when it came down to it? Did we just get rejected? Did every media source just make them up? Did Levy fly to Ukraine with genuine intention of coming back with Willian? If so then why offer about half of what they wanted?

It only takes one. They all just blindly copy each other.

Oh yeah and Hazard who a couple of months ago said that if Chelsea hadn't won the CL then he'd be playing for Spurs right now. He could well be lying but lets just assume he's not for the sake of the argument. Would he really be playing for Spurs? Was Levy really going to put up £32m for him? I see it as artificial interest with Levy just pandering to the fans. I'd rather he just made it clear that we have little to work with rather than putting our name out there with big players when we have no intention/chance of signing them.

In your head this is what happened, but in reality and everyone else that has a grasp of what happened in the previous window knows this wasnt the case.

I love comments like this! People passing off opinion as fact.

I dont agree 100% with what skyfarer said in terms of the AVB tantrum and 'no fat to burn' comment however I really do not believe there was anyway we were going to pay £20m for anyone in this window, last window or any other since the stadium has become likely. And nor will we til the stadium is financed. I have no inside knowledge however have spent 15 years in corporate finance/m&a so am used to working on capital raisings and, unless a sugar daddy comes in, I think its highly unlikely we'd be able to faise the finance for the stadium whilst spending this sort of transfer fee (unless it was spread over something absurd like 4 or 5 years, but that would never be acceotable to the selling club).

We're not 'skint' but the stadium is the priority so cant see anyone on Leandro/Moutinho fees coming in for a year or two

Our request to extend the deadline wasn't bollox. It means we had an agreement with Porto, but the paperwork couldn't be sorted. Of course, that's only fuel to the conspiracy theories. Did Porto deliberately screw things up? Did Levy ask them to play along with staging the whole thing? Depends on how badly you want something to be the truth.

From comments which have come from potential selling clubs, Levy has offered really crazy payment schedules e.g. £4m or £5m p.a. for 4-5 years. We cant afford £20m in one go at the moment

I stand by what I said at the start of the window - £5m-£10m spent. Reckon we'll get a forward in but not any of the fantasy football type signings people have spoken about

Oh yeah and Hazard who a couple of months ago said that if Chelsea hadn't won the CL then he'd be playing for Spurs right now. He could well be lying but lets just assume he's not for the sake of the argument. Would he really be playing for Spurs? Was Levy really going to put up £32m for him? I see it as artificial interest with Levy just pandering to the fans. I'd rather he just made it clear that we have little to work with rather than putting our name out there with big players when we have no intention/chance of signing them.

And Levy runs the media?

AVB has delivered the usual cliches, but we are an easy target for lazy journos and greedy agents who either need to fill pages or generate publicity.

From comments which have come from potential selling clubs, Levy has offered really crazy payment schedules e.g. £4m or £5m p.a. for 4-5 years. We cant afford £20m in one go at the moment

I stand by what I said at the start of the window - £5m-£10m spent. Reckon we'll get a forward in but not any of the fantasy football type signings people have spoken about

Paying in installments over the contract period is far from crazy, it's prettty much the norm unless you have sugar daddy money. The first one will usually be bigger than the rest. There's also additional clauses on games, goals, trophies, international callups. Again, common.

Well he said he'd met with Harry or Levy(can't remember which) a couple of times, maybe he's lying about that too.

Basically I think we have little money, we're not going to sign anyone significant unless it's financed by a player of value leaving. Levy just likes to keep up the mirage of us being big players, when really we're just not.

Our request to extend the deadline wasn't bollox. It means we had an agreement with Porto, but the paperwork couldn't be sorted. Of course, that's only fuel to the conspiracy theories. Did Porto deliberately screw things up? Did Levy ask them to play along with staging the whole thing? Depends on how badly you want something to be the truth.
You'd think if we had an agreement with Porto we would have signed him with intention of him joining on January the 1st?

i think that was for Clint Dempsey who only just signed in time before the official deadline ended. Levy probably asked for the extension just to be super safe

Well he said he'd met with Harry or Levy(can't remember which) a couple of times, maybe he's lying about that too.

Basically I think we have little money, we're not going to sign anyone significant unless it's financed by a player of value leaving. Levy just likes to keep up the mirage of us being big players, when really we're just not.

It could also have been his agent playing us. We have no idea what kind of bids were made, if any. In the end Hazard and his agent went for the money (mostly). If we had Roman's wallet we would probably have signed him last January. Like we would have signed Cahill and several others over the last few years. We have to be a bit more careful and actually make the numbers stack up in our favour.

if we were serious about signing Moutinho on deadline day he would have been at the Lodge like Lloris was earlier that day and Dempsey was later in the evening.

no way on earth were Spurs about to blow 20 plus million on Moutinho while he was in the team that night to play in a game in Portugal. come on people, just think about it

Paying in installments over the contract period is far from crazy, it's prettty much the norm unless you have sugar daddy money. The first one will usually be bigger than the rest. There's also additional clauses on games, goals, trophies, international callups. Again, common.

Of course they're common but the period massively impacts whether they're attractive offers. A couple chairman have said that Levy has put forward deals recently which envisaged paying evenly spread over many years and if you're selling a £20m player its very different to get:

yr 1: £10m
yr 2: £7.5m
yr 3: £2.5m

compared to:

yr 1: £5m
yr 2: £5m
yr 3: £5m
yr 4: £5m

Add in the fact that decent players are generally in short supply, particularly given the amount of money around in football, so the selling club will demand a much quicker payment schedule

i think that was for Clint Dempsey who only just signed in time before the official deadline ended. Levy probably asked for the extension just to be super safe

It was for Moutinho, i'll dig out links later

Back