• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy's Transfer Policy Revealed

Re: The We8Campbell Memorial ITK Thread

Again, and I don't think people believe this...we do not have the liquid funds this window. If anything happens, and I doub it will in terms of big names, it will be because Lewis has stepped in. But history tells us he's not likely to do so...get used to some tight, tight games and reliance on management continuing their fine work.

And you know this how?

Again, and I don't think people believe this...we do not have the liquid funds this window. If anything happens, and I doub it will in terms of big names, it will be because Lewis has stepped in. But history tells us he's not likely to do so...get used to some tight, tight games and reliance on management continuing their fine work.

Do you think the reports about the Moutinho bid at the end of the summer window were true?

If true, where has that money gone?

I would be alright with the last part of your post, just trust that management will continue doing what they have been doing.

Do you think the reports about the Moutinho bid at the end of the summer window were true?

I would be alright with the last part of your post, just trust that management will continue doing what they have been doing.

We never had it in the first place. Any major acquisition like that would be financed through short term credit from our bank and it would never be paid in one big chunk.

We never had it in the first place. Any major acquisition like that would be financed through short term credit from our bank and it would never be paid in one big chunk.

Sure. But why wouldn't that kind of deal be possible in the January window, if it was possible in the summer window?

Steff was talking about liquid funds. Surely short term credit from our bank counts as liquid funds?

And you know this how?

I will only say I hope upon hope to have a large kipper slapped across my face and some GG members taunting me as I am shown to know nowt when we sign one of either Mouts, Will.i.am or Llorente. But I stand by my assertion that unless Uncle Joe breaks precedent, we won't see any of them and will (at the very best) have to settle for a short-termer...again, here's to me being wrong mate.

Sure. But why wouldn't that kind of deal be possible in the January window, if it was possible in the summer window?

Steff was talking about liquid funds. Surely short term credit from our bank counts as liquid funds?

Let's just say if we get the Holtby deal done "in the end" this January, I will be happy enough. Summer will be a different story IMO. I am interested to see how much mining we do in Germany.

I'm sure there are some accounting reasons as to what sort of money we have available and not. Maybe we're hoping we can do whatever deals we hope to do without adding to our short term debt. Someone like Moutinho or Leandro would be seen as a significant investment by the club, maybe the kind that needs approval from above.

Great question.
Personally, I absolutely believed that Levy had simply left it as late as possible to get the deal done and blown it, but I am not so sure now. Not trying in any way to exonerate after the fact, just saying that (indeed) maybe the 'fact' wasn't so-to-speak.
Until proven otherwise, I PERSONALLY believe Levy just couldn't get it done because he did play brinksmanship but ran into the whole third party owner stuff.

With regards to the money, I'm with you. I'm not an economist whatsoever, thus no detail whatsoever, but I think perhaps we have to look at what we've spent and brought in over several seasons versus our enforced stay at 36,000 seats. I know we don't pay the most money in the world, but we probably have a pretty high wage bill. Be great if we could get rid of the Bentleys, etc (no offence to the player and ever the optimist, I hope he gets given a chance some time and ends up playing himself back into things) but his and Gomes' wages (for example) are large.

I'm sure there are some accounting reasons as to what sort of money we have available and not. Maybe we're hoping we can do whatever deals we hope to do without adding to our short term debt. Someone like Moutinho or Leandro would be seen as a significant investment by the club, maybe the kind that needs approval from above.

It is interesting and gives an ever-so-slight peek into how tight a ship we are and how little 'fat' we have left to burn with regards to signings versus wages versus funds.

Let's just say if we get the Holtby deal done "in the end" this January, I will be happy enough. Summer will be a different story IMO. I am interested to see how much mining we do in Germany.

I would be alright with that. Although I would prefer one more player to give us a bit more depth now that Sandro is out.

Great question.
Personally, I absolutely believed that Levy had simply left it as late as possible to get the deal done and blown it, but I am not so sure now. Not trying in any way to exonerate after the fact, just saying that (indeed) maybe the 'fact' wasn't so-to-speak.
Until proven otherwise, I PERSONALLY believe Levy just couldn't get it done because he did play brinksmanship but ran into the whole third party owner stuff.

With regards to the money, I'm with you. I'm not an economist whatsoever, thus no detail whatsoever, but I think perhaps we have to look at what we've spent and brought in over several seasons versus our enforced stay at 36,000 seats. I know we don't pay the most money in the world, but we probably have a pretty high wage bill. Be great if we could get rid of the Bentleys, etc (no offence to the player and ever the optimist, I hope he gets given a chance some time and ends up playing himself back into things) but his and Gomes' wages (for example) are large.

I agree with most of that, the speculation about last summer being exactly that.

I just don't think it's a question of liquid funds being available. We're in a strong position financially, if the right deal becomes available to us I think we will make that deal even if it is a big money (£20m+) deal.

I don't think that's super likely, but because I don't think it's likely that the right deal will become available to us, not because we don't have liquid funds.

We did cut the wage bill massively over the summer and preceding window though but I guess we did bring some players in who are probably on decent wages in our terms (around £50K a week).

It wouldn't surprise me if Jenas, Bentley and Gomes don't take up somewhere close to £200K a week. If we can finally get rid of them then that could free some funds up for a big signing.

Odd thing is we took up an option to extend Jenas contract to 2014, presumeably in the hope of getting a fee for him but nobody seems to want him and that could cost us £3m in wages or so if that's the case.

Think Bentleys contract ends in 2014.

Completel agree and have been saying this for months. I dont believe there is the slightest chance that we will be paying £20m for someone this window. I said at the start that i thought we would spend £5m - £10m max and still think thats right

Reason is simply - we're still trying to finance a new stadium. When lenders lend money, particuarly to businesses which are volatile and not particularly credit-worthy such as foobtall clubs, the last thing they want to see is the club being anything but prudent with their cash. And whilst fans will always say 'you need to buy decent players to get CL football to get more cash etc etc' thats not how lenders will look at it. Until the stadium is fully financed, I really do not see our transfer policy changing - expect it to be like this for a good whle yet

Completel agree and have been saying this for months. I dont believe there is the slightest chance that we will be paying £20m for someone this window. I said at the start that i thought we would spend £5m - £10m max and still think thats right

Reason is simply - we're still trying to finance a new stadium. When lenders lend money, particuarly to businesses which are volatile and not particularly credit-worthy such as foobtall clubs, the last thing they want to see is the club being anything but prudent with their cash. And whilst fans will always say 'you need to buy decent players to get CL football to get more cash etc etc' thats not how lenders will look at it. Until the stadium is fully financed, I really do not see our transfer policy changing - expect it to be like this for a good whle yet

I understand that completely and am
Fine with that wish levy would just be honest with us and not fob us off with stories of 20million pound bids going in for moutinho and 37mill bids in for aguero and co.

I understand that completely and am
Fine with that wish levy would just be honest with us and not fob us off with stories of 20million pound bids going in for moutinho and 37mill bids in for aguero and co.

Why is it Levy fobbing us off?

Last i checked it was ITK and the media that have been claiming we have been making 'big' bids.

Can you find a single example of Levy talking about us making big bids for players that were 'fobbing us off'?

Edit: clarified the question.

Last edited:

Last i checked it was ITK and the media that have been claiming we have been making 'big' bids.

Can you find a single example of Levy talking about us making big bids for players?

you are asking like we have not. Show us an example of him not making a big bid.

you are asking like we have not. Show us an example of him not making a big bid.

The proof of onus is on the claim no?

WestBerkshire has claimed he has been, i will accept that if he can show us one shred of evidence.

(I'm not saying we haven't made any big bids, just that i'd like proof of 'Levy fobbing us off' if people are going to start stating he has)

Edit: also your question is silly, i can probably show lots of examples of Levy not making big bids. :p

Last edited:

Can you find a single example of Levy talking about us making big bids for players that were 'fobbing us off'?

Edit: clarified the question.

Well the fact avb came out on day after window shut on official site saying how he's greatful levy tried to sign moutinho. Let's be honest he didn't want to part with the money and it was for show. If levy genuinely genuinely wanted to sign moutinho he wouldn't of opened negotiations on deadline day. We're skint I can deal with that.

The proof of onus is on the claim no?

WestBerkshire has claimed he has been, i will accept that if he can show us one shred of evidence.

(I'm not saying we haven't made any big bids, just that i'd like proof of 'Levy fobbing us off' if people are going to start stating he has)

Edit: also your question is silly, i can probably show lots of examples of Levy not making big bids. :p

I know it read as being silly, but you were asking like we have not when none of us really know. We may very well have but we dont hear of every single bid. It's easy to think we have not because of that.

Well the fact avb came out on day after window shut on official site saying how he's greatful levy tried to sign moutinho. Let's be honest he didn't want to part with the money and it was for show. If levy genuinely genuinely wanted to sign moutinho he wouldn't of opened negotiations on deadline day. We're skint I can deal with that.

If you think Levy did this on deadline day for show then you clearly have a dislike for him. Nothing anyone can say would change that.

I know it read as being silly, but you were asking like we have not when none of us really know. We may very well have but we dont hear of every single bid. It's easy to think we have not because of that.

The issue i have isn't the claim that there were big bids. It was the fact that the bids were 'fobbing us off'.

Back