• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy's Transfer Policy Revealed

Re: Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

What is "football trading"? Player buys and sales?

In 11/12 we signed £8m worth of players and sold £35m :-k

To be honest I'm not sure.

First off all it's the whole player amortization thing going on where previous transfers in are in there too depending on the length of their contracts.

I'm guessing that agent fees are in there (nothing more than a guess), we've seen that be as high as around £10m in previous years when we've released more detailed data. This is something that is often overlooked when fees are discussed.

Then there's the point that the financial year doesn't match up with the transfer windows, it ends on the 30th of July iirc. So it won't match up with the "by season" net spend figures based on press speculation.

There might also be stuff like bonuses or sign on fees for new contracts, although I have no clue.

My point though is that when these reports are being released it's not like we're making a massive profit each year that Levy is spending on Pina Coladas with Lewis in the Bahamas or that he's keeping in some WHL vault to roll around in wearing a thong and flip-flops.

I don't read any of that stuff.

Yet you feel that you know better than our chairman how and when to spend money?

What little information about club finances we as fans have available to us you don't bother reading, but the man who actually runs the club and has detailed and up to date information about our finances and thus is immensely more well informed than you on this issue is just doing it wrong for whatever reasons.

I'll just assume Joe's spending the profit on upgrading his yacht until we actually buy someone of significant value.

i still cant get over people that used to think it was the managers that were indecisive about transfers

but either way. we will be getting a new player in before close of winter window

Re: Ratings Vs Leeds

Friedel 7 - Couldn't do anything about the goals, and kept us in it.
Naughton 4 - Very disappointing at right back
Caulker 3 - Absolutely shockingly poor performance, probably the worst of the season from any Spurs player I've seen so far.
Vertonghen 5 - Doesn't like it against physical opposition much does he?
Ekotto 5 - So pleased to have him back, but he looked so rusty

Lennon 4 - Poor poor performance from Lennon. Hardly got into the game and when he did, run himself into trouble
Parker 6 - Worked hard and looked like the only player who gave a brick. Some very important challenges, but when he gets into that final third his composure turns to crap.
Huddlestone 5 - Looked very rusty and off the pace
Bale 6 - Not his best game but a couple of moments of brilliance, including a great cross. He desperately needs some help on the pitch to lighten the creativity burden
Sigurdsson 4 - You can see why he isn't getting much first team time

Dempsey 6 - Excellent finish and worked hard up top. Lacked quality too often though.

Dembele 5 - Failed to make a positive impact and was very sloppy in possession
Obika 5 - Failed to make the necessary runs to get into the game and sadly looked way out of his depth
Walker 5 - Was hoping that he'd bomb forward and give us what we'd been missing on the right, but sadly looked shaky

AVB 5 - We've been playing so well with two banks of four, and so we switch to a five man midfield and boy did we poor. Then we play Bale and Lennon on the wrong flanks. We looked a bit better when we finally switched to a four man midfield (although we scored when we were still playing a five man midfield) and the team looked better balanced, but we only played it for a few minutes before we changed shape again. Maybe AVB felt that Leeds were comfortable opposition to experiment against, but the result has shown him wrong. However, with the players available to him and the system he started out with there wasn't much he could have done different with the exception of Dembele and Dawson (and Walker maybe for Naughton) for Huddlestone and Caulker respectively. And the team he put out should have been too much for a Championship side, home or away.

Hopefully this will persuade Levy to be a bit less fiscally tight. But judging by the fact we've been here so many times before, I doubt it.

Sadly this. How many years have we been saying "we need a striker" now? Must be since Berbatov left. If we don't get top 4, don't blame AVB, blame Levy.

Yet you feel that you know better than our chairman how and when to spend money?

What little information about club finances we as fans have available to us you don't bother reading, but the man who actually runs the club and has detailed and up to date information about our finances and thus is immensely more well informed than you on this issue is just doing it wrong for whatever reasons.

Why did you ignore the rest of my post that explains why i've come to the conclusion that i feel we have cash to spend?

i still cant get over people that used to think it was the managers that were indecisive about transfers

but either way. we will be getting a new player in before close of winter window

other then the possible capture of Holtby you think?

Why did you ignore the rest of my post that explains why i've come to the conclusion that i feel we have cash to spend?

Because I trust the numbers released by the club more than I trust your judgement based on little more than speculation.

I do think that we have cash to spend right now if the right player comes around for the right price. I think that money is available to us because we didn't blow £10m (or more) on a desperation signing last year.

The post I replied to wasn't only about right now, but about the last 2 seasons, that's why I mentioned the report from the club.

I wish someone had been a bit more indecisive before signing Hutton, Bentley, Keane (the second time), Bassong etc.

Being stuck in drawn out negotiations is a little different from not being able to make up your mind on which targets to pursue.

He'll make 5 more bids of 50k-100k before agreeing a deal for Holtby if we're lucky. As for a striker he'll wait to see what will be thrown our way and act if he can get a big discount. It's shocking that he's doing this to us again.

Indeed...the ONLY thing I continue to wonder is if we actually HAVE money or not this window. I always heard it would be lean, I always knew if we moved large it'd be because Levy went to papa Joe and asked. I wonder if THOSE two have a good relationship, and I wonder if he will now go and beg cash. It is very, very frustrating, and I agree, this Holtby stuff is a joke. Not trying to bail Levy out here, just speculating that there might genuinely be more to this...

The annoying thing about the Holtby negotiation is that had he started, we might well have won. The extra £500k or whatever we are argueing about would have been more than recouped in the next round grrrr!

Would Holtby have played?

Would he have made a difference even if he had? Would we have played even worse, perhaps?

Fact is, the team we had on the pitch today should have been more than capable of winning that game comfortably.

Indeed...the ONLY thing I continue to wonder is if we actually HAVE money or not this window. I always heard it would be lean, I always knew if we moved large it'd be because Levy went to papa Joe and asked. I wonder if THOSE two have a good relationship, and I wonder if he will now go and beg cash. It is very, very frustrating, and I agree, this Holtby stuff is a joke. Not trying to bail Levy out here, just speculating that there might genuinely be more to this...

I doubt he would have to go beg for cash.

We have some debt, but our debt is far from massive. If we really wanted to finance a deal I think we would be perfectly capable of doing so. But we will only do so for the right player. I don't think we have money available as in sitting around in a bank account somewhere collecting interest.

What is "football trading"? Player buys and sales?

In 11/12 we signed £8m worth of players and sold £35m :-k

It's all about that dirty word again - amortisation.

As far as the accounts are concerned, at least, we're still paying for players that we signed two, three or four years ago.

And they'll be crap. Our January signings always are.

Sadly this. How many years have we been saying "we need a striker" now? Must be since Berbatov left. If we don't get top 4, don't blame AVB, blame Levy.

On average we sign about one striker every transfer window. We are not alone in the transfer market and there's a number of clubs that are a bigger draw than us, be it reputation or money wise. There's also a very limited pool of talent to pick from. Maybe, just maybe, this amazing striker that would solve all our problems just isn't available and instead of blowing 10-20 million (including wages and additional fees) on someone to be nothing more than a stop gap signing, we'd rather bide our time until the right player comes along. I hope none of you that keep telling Levy to splash some cash ever complain about the financially doped clubs or being ripped off on ticket prices.

It's all about that dirty word again - amortisation.

As far as the accounts are concerned, at least, we're still paying for players that we signed two, three or four years ago.

Thank you.
Perhaps one day very soon people will grasp how the money flows at a club with 36,000 seats...

On average we sign about one striker every transfer window. We are not alone in the transfer market and there's a number of clubs that are a bigger draw than us, be it reputation or money wise. There's also a very limited pool of talent to pick from. Maybe, just maybe, this amazing striker that would solve all our problems just isn't available and instead of blowing 10-20 million (including wages and additional fees) on someone to be nothing more than a stop gap signing, we'd rather bide our time until the right player comes along. I hope none of you that keep telling Levy to splash some cash ever complain about the financially doped clubs or being ripped off on ticket prices.

This same tired arguement every time. Jesus, I know Levy is a good chairman, but he's not infalliable ffs! That didn't stop Everton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine signing strikers during this window or last January did it?

Back