• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

How do you relate that to the fans, I’m interested?
The only direct fan input is gate receipts and spend at the ground. TV money is earned by placing, same as Europe and sponsors jump on when clubs do well for their own “profile”
So where does the fan bit kick in?
I think I was probably feeling like fan expectations were raised by the whole Poch period, the amount we made from the CL final and the fact this stadium was what we needed to apparently compete.
Except when I see this as a fan, I wonder where the money has gone, and why DL paid himself massive fudging bonuses at a time we’re reinvesting the lowest amount of any club. 5% is pathetic.

Not really. We had a stadium to pay for and was widely acknowledged our spending wouldn’t be that great. In addition Poch was offered several players to sign but chose to stick with what he had - not a criticism of Poch, but there was money available to spend and for whatever reason he chose not to....
What does that say about the players he was “offered” then?

Think I'll live with having my pants pulled down after reaching the CL final and qualifying for the following season's competition. Especially given the club has just spent £1bn on the world's best stadium.

But each to their own eh?
If you think that’s happening again anytime soon on current trajectory, you will need to live with it.

PS - we lost. great times eh.

Are we back to this? fudge .. this is why I take breaks from Spurs fans/forums ..

Let's get this clear, two options

1. You just want a sugar daddy, and you are willing to not give a fudge where that money comes from, how many people are enslaved, murdered, suffer for your enjoyment
2. You want some modicum of respectability with your club

If you want option 1, and you are willing to own that .. great, because to @Bedfordspurs point, at our current value as a club, only money from very shady sources would even be in the conversation, So we become the next Chelsea circus (end of conversation)

If you want option 2, lets address the points (including from the threads above)

- Joe and ENIC back the club, how the fudge do you think you get a low interest loan for 750M? it's just not direct cash injection
- More importantly, other than Directors payments and asset increase, Joe/Levy/ENIC don't pull money out of the club, it re-invests (unlike United as example)
- If you look at @Jon's chart, here's what I see, the 3 highest wage spenders suck in results, Liverpool is middle of the pack, and City is 2 spots away from us, so does it mean anything?
- But more importantly, you cannot discount the investment in the club over last 10 years (facilities, stadium, training ground), yes it would be nice for that to have gone into players, but we could not compete without it and it stays with the club, vs. we could have spent money on 2-3 big flops and got nothing back.
- Covid has fudged everything up, the new multi-purpose stadium with large capacity, NFL and non sporting events was supposed to give us more revenue and we started to put that money into players (we spent last summer), the problem is we are now forecasting a loss over 100M and we have no idea when revenue streams will return to normal. Barca will have to sell/get rid of players to upgrade their squad, but we expect Spurs is different?

And to the last point, where are the glory nights? why don't you ask Poch and the team why they didn't fudging turn up when it mattered .. because we had a shot at the biggest glory of them all and we didn't take it .. nothing to do with Levy/Joe/ENIC

I had this conversation with @DubaiSpur a year ago I believe, and my view then was

- Once the stadium was up and running, and we knew what our revenue and income streams were, we absolutely should hold Levy accountable for putting investments into the squad (as that was the whole point of playing the long game, and Spurs revenue has increased to being competitive with everyone bar Pool and United)
- The issue is Covid has delayed that, and made it more unpredictable than ever

Final two points ..

- Levy is not going to sell, it's been 20 years, and we are now almost unbuyable anyway.
- Can we get over the Spurs expectation/nostalgia of winning things? I want to win a trophy every year, I really fudging do, but I'm on the wrong side of middle aged and have seen 8 trophies in my time supporting Spurs, Jose has more trophies in his career than Spurs has in it's existence, the run of league results in the last 12 years is actually our best run in the history of this club. So could/should we have won 2-3 trophies between Harry and Poch? sure but Spurs has never been a club with any history of multiple trophies every 5-10 years ..
Tldr???

I think I was probably feeling like fan expectations were raised by the whole Poch period, the amount we made from the CL final and the fact this stadium was what we needed to apparently compete.
Except when I see this as a fan, I wonder where the money has gone, and why DL paid himself massive fudging bonuses at a time we’re reinvesting the lowest amount of any club. 5% is pathetic.
I don’t really get that 5% figure TBH or what it’s based on
What we do know is that when we opened the stadium it coincided with the season we spent the most we ever have
I also fully expected it to be the same this summer however the worlds changed quite a bit in quite a short period

As I understand it that table you put up related to investment in the team only. But regardless of what anyone says, when you build a stonking new stadium its inevitably going to affect the amount you can spend on transfers to some extent.

Just ask the next Gooner you talk to.

Agree to a point,but with the squad we have had over the past few years we should have had a trophy or two - it’s criminal that we haven’t. It’s not just about us, but the players too - the likes of Eriksen, Dembele and Jan have left us without winning anything and it’s outrageously unjust that such a talented team is slowly being stripped apart with nothing to show for it. Leicester has won the league, Arsenal and Chelsea sides far inferior to us have won trophies during which time we have won zilch. Our players, as much as our fans really have deserved a trophy or two for their efforts and no matter how much you want to downplay it to players winning things really does matter.....

Three quality players there, and IMHO on technical ability could have walked into any team in Europe.
The fact they didn't tells a story, none of them had what it takes to be a winner.
Hurts me to say that about them, Jan in particular, but I think it's true. They are all spurs, Everton, almost but not quite good enough level of player.

I don’t really get that 5% figure TBH or what it’s based on
What we do know is that when we opened the stadium it coincided with the season we spent the most we ever have
I also fully expected it to be the same this summer however the worlds changed quite a bit in quite a short period

People don't understand "8th most valuable club" does not equal to "cash flow available"

We went from making a profit, and likely looking to invest that profit in the squad to Covid related losses probably in the range of 100-150M this year.That lost could be countered if we knew that life as normal would return in 1 month, 3 months, whatever, but we literally have no idea. So the club is reducing risk, keeping the costs under control until we understand the timelines ..

But Levy is just a tight basterd hording the Spurs gold like a dragon .. fudge me ..

Prediction, we will see several clubs in financial crisis in the next 12 months, Valencia is just the start ..

People don't understand "8th most valuable club" does not equal to "cash flow available"

We went from making a profit, and likely looking to invest that profit in the squad to Covid related losses probably in the range of 100-150M this year.That lost could be countered if we knew that life as normal would return in 1 month, 3 months, whatever, but we literally have no idea. So the club is reducing risk, keeping the costs under control until we understand the timelines ..

But Levy is just a tight basterd hording the Spurs gold like a dragon .. fudge me ..

Prediction, we will see several clubs in financial crisis in the next 12 months, Valencia is just the start ..
I said the 8th largest turnover thing didn’t mean anything at the time
Profit is key and we would have made plenty before COVID - now it’s a different kettle of fish

@Raziel - you called? :p

Are we back to this? fudge .. this is why I take breaks from Spurs fans/forums ..

Let's get this clear, two options

1. You just want a sugar daddy, and you are willing to not give a fudge where that money comes from, how many people are enslaved, murdered, suffer for your enjoyment
2. You want some modicum of respectability with your club

If you want option 1, and you are willing to own that .. great, because to @Bedfordspurs point, at our current value as a club, only money from very shady sources would even be in the conversation, So we become the next Chelsea circus (end of conversation)

Interesting. I wasn't aware that only Qataris, Saudis or Russians could become football club owners.

Were FSG slavers or murderers, pray tell? Or were they just far better owners than the Cheap and Cheaper duo on our end?

Certainly, they're no worse than tax cheat (and tax exile) Joe Lewis, who made his money shorting the pound on Black Wednesday.

It's all relative up at the top, but in terms of competence and being ambitious, neither trait requires that you be a bloody-handed Sheikh. Just better than the definitely morally-ambiguous Joe Lewis. Lots of amoral rich blokes who fit that description.

If you want option 2, lets address the points (including from the threads above)

- Joe and ENIC back the club, how the fudge do you think you get a low interest loan for 750M? it's just not direct cash injection

A low interest loan that the club will have to pay back with its own money, having historically committed to ambitionlessly frugal low/no net spending for a long time amidst a financial bonanza in the Premier League, at a time of relatively accessible ,easy credit? I'd wager we probably got it on the market, same way we got the government loan - by being a tightwad of a club.

- More importantly, other than Directors payments and asset increase, Joe/Levy/ENIC don't pull money out of the club, it re-invests (unlike United as example)

True, which is why they're barely competent, tight-fisted stewards as opposed to outright destructive bastards.

- If you look at @Jon's chart, here's what I see, the 3 highest wage spenders suck in results, Liverpool is middle of the pack, and City is 2 spots away from us, so does it mean anything?
- But more importantly, you cannot discount the investment in the club over last 10 years (facilities, stadium, training ground), yes it would be nice for that to have gone into players, but we could not compete without it and it stays with the club, vs. we could have spent money on 2-3 big flops and got nothing back.

They don't take money out of the club. The club makes massive amounts of money just by being in the Premier League every year - lord knows, we've underperformed on the commercial side of things, so outrageously high ticket prices and broadcast revenue is how we make our money. Now, they don't take it out, and they certainly don't spend on the team - so where else was it going to go?

There was no investment from them. None. It was all our money, they they reinvested into the one project that didn't involve buying players and competing for trophies.

- Covid has fudged everything up, the new multi-purpose stadium with large capacity, NFL and non sporting events was supposed to give us more revenue and we started to put that money into players (we spent last summer), the problem is we are now forecasting a loss over 100M and we have no idea when revenue streams will return to normal. Barca will have to sell/get rid of players to upgrade their squad, but we expect Spurs is different?

I don't. I fully expect we'll be pathetic tightwads this year, same as every year for 19-odd seasons - it's just now Levy really has a good excuse he can stretch out for as long as he needs to avoid spending. I'll bet that, 5 years from now when other clubs have spent 500m on players, we'll still be pleading poverty as a result of COVID-19. That's depressing, behaving like a posh League 2 side in the market.

And to the last point, where are the glory nights? why don't you ask Poch and the team why they didn't fudging turn up when it mattered .. because we had a shot at the biggest glory of them all and we didn't take it .. nothing to do with Levy/Joe/ENIC

They didn't turn up, definitely. But I'm struck by the FA Cup semi in 2017 when we threw on two wasters in Janssen and Nkoudou (I think) while Chelsea threw on Fabregas, Hazard and some other star - how much did underinvestment play its role in terminally limiting us during all those years?

I had this conversation with @DubaiSpur a year ago I believe, and my view then was

- Once the stadium was up and running, and we knew what our revenue and income streams were, we absolutely should hold Levy accountable for putting investments into the squad (as that was the whole point of playing the long game, and Spurs revenue has increased to being competitive with everyone bar Pool and United)
- The issue is Covid has delayed that, and made it more unpredictable than ever

Right. And now, COVID-19 provides him with the excuse he's always wanted - and will do for long after other teams have grown shame-faced enough to avoid using it.

- Levy is not going to sell, it's been 20 years, and we are now almost unbuyable anyway.

For now, true. But things change - how many years did Saudi Sportswashing Machine fans have to yell about Ashley? He still hasn't f*cked off, mind, but at least no one thinks he's been good for Saudi Sportswashing Machine any longer, and one way or another, he's closer to f*cking off now.

- Can we get over the Spurs expectation/nostalgia of winning things? I want to win a trophy every year, I really fudging do, but I'm on the wrong side of middle aged and have seen 8 trophies in my time supporting Spurs, Jose has more trophies in his career than Spurs has in it's existence, the run of league results in the last 12 years is actually our best run in the history of this club. So could/should we have won 2-3 trophies between Harry and Poch? sure but Spurs has never been a club with any history of multiple trophies every 5-10 years ..

This is the saddest thing I think I've read here, football-wise. Absolutely not your fault, and it's not just you by any means, but I will hate ENIC for a very long time because of how thoroughly they destroyed any semblance of our ambitions of winning things. We were a big club, once - we genuinely had the fourth-best trophy record in England, were once the club with the most FA Cups of any English club, were the first club to win the double in the 20th century, the first English club to win a European trophy...

...we were a different club once, before these fudging mediocre, penny-pinching tightwads arrived and gave us one League Cup in 20 years.

You saw us win 8 trophies. I saw us win one, in 20 years - that League Cup. And, apart from that, we've had 20 years of being zoomed past by any and every club around us.

I'm long past the point of having had enough of these pointlessly mediocre fudgers, and for the most part I'm just sadly resigned to them hanging around for the near future like a bad stench. But every time I see a fan of ours give up on winning things because 20 years of ENIC have destroyed our hopes, my anger for them grows anew.

Last edited:
@DubaiSpur love the conversation as always mate .. long response, so I'll try to answer

. No, not only Russians or Arabs can invest, but realistically there are two types of clubs spending money in the way that some fans want, 1. Russians/Arabs (Chelsea, City, PSG), 2. Clubs that historically have a huge fanbase and revenue associated, and the owners often push that club into huge debt, fiscally unstable positions (Pool, United and Barca in last decade have taken on crazy debt, they have managed to survive that, but risk was there). We do not belong in category 2, so I think my point still stands

- Yes the club will pay back it's loans with "our money" if you like, but you are minimizing what it takes to pull off large scale financing (United had horrible interest rates for the first years of their loan, and yes part was market timing, but part is Spurs was better at it)

- The club doesn't make massive amount of money historically mate, the fact that we have in last few is based on the well run financial approach that has allowed us to catch up with everyone bar United and Pool (they are in a different category re fanbase), again none of that money has been taken out the club, it has just been redirected to the 1B project that we needed.

But to a more rounded conversation

- I think you are being a bit cheeky comparing Levy to Ashley mate

- The disagreement you and I have fundamentally comes down to this
In the past, we both agree Levy/ENIC/Joe could have taken a risk, been a bit more "speculative" if you like, but hindsight is always just that. I see why it would have made sense, but I also see why the decisions were made the way they were
It's the future, you remain convinced that when normality resumes and Spurs earns the 3rd highest revenue (and profit), we will still not invest, ok .. I hope not, but neither of us know .. so it's a wait and see (story of Spurs it seems)

I'm also not sure what club you remember, I remember Sugar (hint, it was a fudging disaster), I remember the early 80's side, yes we won stuff, but we badly underachieved, that side should have won way more, I remember Jurgen (that Spurs fans worship) using us twice and fudging off the minute we rehabilitated his brand ..

And to the very last point, ENIC didn't destroy Spurs chances, the FA (FFP being a joke) allowing brick like Chelsea and City plus Europe having PSG destroyed chances for most clubs. You think Liverpool/United compete if City goes and gets Messi plus two other players this transfer? the modern game is fudged .. (the occasional Leicester/Pompey fluke aside), we could do like the Scum and give up on everything but focus on a domestic cup?

And to the very last point, ENIC didn't destroy Spurs chances, the FA (FFP being a joke) allowing brick like Chelsea and City plus Europe having PSG destroyed chances for most clubs. You think Liverpool/United compete if City goes and gets Messi plus two other players this transfer? the modern game is fudged .. (the occasional Leicester/Pompey fluke aside), we could do like the Scum and give up on everything but focus on a domestic cup?

Great post and the last point being the most pertinent.

If, under current COVID conditions, Chelsea can afford to throw money around like it's nothing then they are either receiving a big investment from Roman or they will have to decimate their squad to pay for it. If it's the latter they will have to sell 6 to 8 good players to get their money back which to me kind of defeats the point.

Money from the Arabs and Russia seems to be the only way to compete unless you are Utd or Pool (who have the biggest overseas fanbase).

Factor in the likelihood of closed doors football for a significant part of the season (I don't see stadia opening before 2021) and Spurs will not have the financial base to compete against slush fund football teams.

Great post and the last point being the most pertinent.

If, under current COVID conditions, Chelsea can afford to throw money around like it's nothing then they are either receiving a big investment from Roman or they will have to decimate their squad to pay for it. If it's the latter they will have to sell 6 to 8 good players to get their money back which to me kind of defeats the point.

Money from the Arabs and Russia seems to be the only way to compete unless you are Utd or Pool (who have the biggest overseas fanbase).

Factor in the likelihood of closed doors football for a significant part of the season (I don't see stadia opening before 2021) and Spurs will not have the financial base to compete against slush fund football teams.
I’d forgotten they got £130m for Hazard and £60m off for Morata not long ago, which has been burning a hole in their pocket since their transfer ban. It would be a surprise to me if they completely went away from their self-sustaining model of the last few years.

@DubaiSpur love the conversation as always mate ..

Likewise, mate! I admit up front - I don't think I'll change minds, or that mine will be easily changed. But always happy to discuss.

. No, not only Russians or Arabs can invest, but realistically there are two types of clubs spending money in the way that some fans want, 1. Russians/Arabs (Chelsea, City, PSG), 2. Clubs that historically have a huge fanbase and revenue associated, and the owners often push that club into huge debt, fiscally unstable positions (Pool, United and Barca in last decade have taken on crazy debt, they have managed to survive that, but risk was there). We do not belong in category 2, so I think my point still stands

Liverpool didn't push their club into debt - far from it. Owner-financed spending accounting for roughly 200m in the last ten years, most of it written off by FSG at the close of the decade. The only debts Liverpool took out were for the same reason as us - to invest in infrastructure, in their case their new ground.

There's a modicum of risk-taking in Liverpool's strategy, but it's hardly outrageous - it's investing in the future, and speculating to accumulate. Which has gotten them their sixth Champions League, their first league title in 30-odd years, and has cemented FSG as one of the more successful owners in their history.

And remember, their income was lower than ours at multiple points in the last decade. They finished lower than us, and they started off at a worse point in terms of their squad than we did when FSG took over, with a worse team.

Nothing they did was unachievable for a club like ours. It took ambition, however - which Cheap and Cheaper on our end have always lacked. That's the difference between them at the summit of English football, and us scraping around for bargain bins. It's possibly also why we've lost our best staff to them - Michael Edwards, Alex Inglethorpe and so on.

I'd like to think that Klopp got his team to the final because of FSG's support for him - Poch got us to the final *despite* ENIC's crushing lack of support for him. The two self-destructive, willfully suicidal transfer windows of summer 2018 and January 2019 were proof enough of that.

- Yes the club will pay back it's loans with "our money" if you like, but you are minimizing what it takes to pull off large scale financing (United had horrible interest rates for the first years of their loan, and yes part was market timing, but part is Spurs was better at it)

Fine, let's say large scale financing is incredibly difficult - lots of clubs take out low-interest loans for stadium projects, but let's assume it's uniquely difficult to do. What about us taking a loan against our assets and paying it back entirely with our money indicates that ENIC had their skin in the game? They didn't - they put in nothing towards our loans, they just signed off on them. The cheapskates put in about 50m into the club in 20 years, and that includes their initial purchase price.

- The club doesn't make massive amount of money historically mate, the fact that we have in last few is based on the well run financial approach that has allowed us to catch up with everyone bar United and Pool (they are in a different category re fanbase), again none of that money has been taken out the club, it has just been redirected to the 1B project that we needed.

Not saying we made a lot of money - don't doubt you're right. But we were a historically successful club, one of the biggest in England, with some of the most memorable records in English football, including in the FA Cup - a competition that was once 'our' competition, so dominant were we. All of that self-regard, that history of trophies (and yes, we used to win them fairly regularly) was swept away by 20 years of nothing under cheapskates whose primary aim was and has always been inflating the club's sales price so they can make off with their billion quid, at minimum (or no) cost to them.

- I think you are being a bit cheeky comparing Levy to Ashley mate

Eh. Ashley's worse, but I don't think Levy is good - I think he's utterly mediocre, versus Ashley's actively sub-par. There isn't all that much in it. But fair enough, mate.

- The disagreement you and I have fundamentally comes down to this
In the past, we both agree Levy/ENIC/Joe could have taken a risk, been a bit more "speculative" if you like, but hindsight is always just that. I see why it would have made sense, but I also see why the decisions were made the way they were
It's the future, you remain convinced that when normality resumes and Spurs earns the 3rd highest revenue (and profit), we will still not invest, ok .. I hope not, but neither of us know .. so it's a wait and see (story of Spurs it seems)

Neither of us know, true. But I'm willing to wager that their past 20 years is a good indicator of what their behaviour will be like in the next 20 (and GHod, ENIC being around for another 20 years is a terrifying thought - one League Cup in 40 years?). The funny thing is, it's not like Levy doesn't know what he's regarded as - he even admits in All or Nothing that people think he's an unambitious cheapskate. Sadly, nothing will change because of that admission - at least, that's my guess.

I'm also not sure what club you remember, I remember Sugar (hint, it was a fudging disaster), I remember the early 80's side, yes we won stuff, but we badly underachieved, that side should have won way more, I remember Jurgen (that Spurs fans worship) using us twice and fudging off the minute we rehabilitated his brand ..

Yep, the 90s were awful - a real destructive bitch of a decade, down to Scholar and Sugar being awful owners. No argument there. The problem is, the 90s were 20 years ago, were only about 10 years long, and still saw us win two trophies, which is about our historical rate per decade. That they are still being used to justify ENIC's mediocrity in 2020 is just baffling to me. FSG turned Liverpool around from a team with Roy Hodgson in charge and Paul Konchesky leading it to European and PL champions in half the time - that's excellence, that's vision. Not whatever muddling ENIC's done on our dime, at utterly no risk to them, for 20 years.

They absolutely did, for all sorts of reasons. Yes, Chelsea and City skewed the game, no one denies that. And maybe ENIC thought they could do it on the cheap until Chelsea and City came along in the span of 5 years and ruined their plans. But the fact that our teams routinely failed at the death, that our managers went unsupported and were then fired, that we acted like a League Two side in the market (setting records for our parsimony - becoming the first club in all England to not buy anyone by choice for a full year, for instance), that we balked at the death when investment could have gotten us over the line...

...our failures are ENIC's, imo - precisely because they believe they can do everything on the cheap. And all that they have done in 20 years pales in comparison to the fact that they've beaten down so many of us into subconsciously believing that our place is here, scrabbling along as trophyless cheapskates, because we can't expect anything better or we'd do a Leeds.

We can expect better. We must. We can dream of more ambition.

Back