• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I thought the hotel quarantine was for people coming on direct flights, how would they know if I flew from Dubai to Germany to London for instance apart from the form you fill in which from accounts no one checks anyway.

No, hotel quarantine is if you have been in or through a red list country in the past 10 days.
If you wanted to fly from Dubai to Germany to London, then you'd either book your quarantine hotel before you left Dubai, or take a chance that you won't be spot checked on arrival. It's not just how honest you are on the form, if you are asked to show your negative covid test result, you could get caught that way unless you'd stopped over in Germany for long enough to take one. Or as simple as having an entry/exit stamp from Dubai in your passport (if it's checked).
And yes, it seems to be the case that there hasn't been much checking taking place up to now, that needs to change otherwise the policy is not worth having.
I suspect implementation will be a bit of a shambles.

No, hotel quarantine is if you have been in or through a red list country in the past 10 days.
If you wanted to fly from Dubai to Germany to London, then you'd either book your quarantine hotel before you left Dubai, or take a chance that you won't be spot checked on arrival. It's not just how honest you are on the form, if you are asked to show your negative covid test result, you could get caught that way unless you'd stopped over in Germany for long enough to take one. Or as simple as having an entry/exit stamp from Dubai in your passport (if it's checked).
And yes, it seems to be the case that there hasn't been much checking taking place up to now, that needs to change otherwise the policy is not worth having.
I suspect implementation will be a bit of a shambles.

I suspect there will be quite close checking at airports. The government have pinned everything on vaccines. If a variant that is vaccine-resistant starts to spread in a way that testing can’t cope with, making largely redundant the good work they have done so far, then they will be up brick creek (again).

It’s taken a year, and tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths, but they actually appear to have learnt some lessons during this second wave.

You're right, I even text the guy to ask and he confirmed and you are right.

Want to hear what else he told me? The airline just mailed today and confirmed there was a positive case on-board the flight <insert the laughing emoji here>

That's right, because testing is not 400% effective, he's been back over a week and quarantined at home but can't speak for others and now been confirmed someone he flew with has tested positive.

So back to my point and what Keir Starmer said other day. It's been 50 days since we knew of the SA variant to the start of quarantine enforcement. We knew the efficacy is massively downgraded and we again have just not bothered fixing the root cause. Again, a government insistent on being tough on borders it actually isn't.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

What are the flight details of his return back to the U.K.? I am happy to check when the airline was notified about it.

I canT imagine the airline told him where he picked up corona? You painted such a picture of travel it seems he could have picked it up anywhere on his return?

Starmer is talking trash,- since Oct last year - 97 people have traveled from The covid hotspot manas in Brazil to the U.K. - all U.K. citizens and everyone of them was checked up on given where they came from at least twice.

He’s jumping on the same bandwagon as sturgeon and made it political.

Last edited:
What are the flight details of his return back to the U.K.? I am happy to check when the airline was notified about it.

I canT imagine the airline told him where he picked up corona? You painted such a picture of travel it seems he could have picked it up anywhere on his return?

Starmer is talking trash,- since Oct last year - 97 people have traveled from The covid hotspot manas in Brazil to the U.K. - all U.K. citizens and everyone of them was checked up on given where they came from at least twice.

If you check my post from weeks back i stated that people were flying into the UK from South Africa via Dubai when the UAE still had an open corridor. There was absolutely zero tracking of those. You're referring to direct flights from hotspots, and again, checking up twice on someone in 10 days doesn't mean they could not have popped to Tesco or to the neighbours. Which is why, Australia and NZ are currently managing COVID better than others by implementing a quarentine system.

The UK is now following suit, after the horse has bolted. Hence why so many variants of the SA virus are cropping up across the country in different parts. If we had such good controls happening, that wouldn't be the case now would it?

Edit:

Couple more things.

1) the notification came from PHE who had his details
2) flights did NOT have distancing measures as they were packed. Also, the bigger issue is coming into contact with people also flying from the same airport toa country that does NOT require a test. For example (this is a made up example to explain the issue), 2 people flying out from Jo'burg, one to Country X, one to London. London requires a test but Country X does not. You may be in close contact with this person several times, shops, restaurants, toilets etc by chance.

So having testing before a flight makes fudge all difference if you have people in close contact who do not require it for their destination. Hence the requirement to quarentine people asap, not 50 days later.

Last edited:
Grant Shapps warning people not to book domestic holidays for this summer yet, never mind holidays abroad.

One year down the line they've finally realised that NZ, Australia, South Korea etc all have the most effective method of containing this which is currently at our disposal. There's been a noticeable change in tone too - no more "Life will be back to normal in 12 weeks/by Christmas/by Easter/by Spring." Instead there is an honesty apparent in the government's latest statements that no one really knows when things will start to return to anything like normal.

Just a shame that 120,000+ people had to die before they reached an acceptance that you can't optimistically talk your way out of a pandemic.

You really have no idea. I’m not even sure if you meant Manaus in Brazil but it’s irrelevant. Large parts of the world have sufficiently high levels of COVID infections to be classed as hotspots. You could bring it from Amsterdam or Timbuktu, it doesn’t matter. Fact is having open borders plays into the hands of the virus being allowed to continue spreading despite the efforts of many decent people in the UK. You’re never going to understand or admit you’re wrong so I don’t know why I waste my time replying to your brick posts to be honest. Keep enjoying lockdown for the rest of 2021 I couldn’t give a fcuk.

If you check my post from weeks back i stated that people were flying into the UK from South Africa via Dubai when the UAE still had an open corridor. There was absolutely zero tracking of those. You're referring to direct flights from hotspots, and again, checking up twice on someone in 10 days doesn't mean they could not have popped to Tesco or to the neighbours. Which is why, Australia and NZ are currently managing COVID better than others by implementing a quarentine system.

The UK is now following suit, after the horse has bolted. Hence why so many variants of the SA virus are cropping up across the country in different parts. If we had such good controls happening, that wouldn't be the case now would it?

Edit:

Couple more things.

1) the notification came from PHE who had his details
2) flights did NOT have distancing measures as they were packed. Also, the bigger issue is coming into contact with people also flying from the same airport toa country that does NOT require a test. For example (this is a made up example to explain the issue), 2 people flying out from Jo'burg, one to Country X, one to London. London requires a test but Country X does not. You may be in close contact with this person several times, shops, restaurants, toilets etc by chance.

So having testing before a flight makes fudge all difference if you have people in close contact who do not require it for their destination. Hence the requirement to quarentine people asap, not 50 days later.

Nope, less than 100 people traveled from that area in Brazil to the U.K. - it’s pretty easy to track back for the home office/boarder control/Abta etc etc

Even more reason to let me have the details so I can put the persons mind at rest if it was picked up after the flight?

Grant Shapps warning people not to book domestic holidays for this summer yet, never mind holidays abroad.

One year down the line they've finally realised that NZ, Australia, South Korea etc all have the most effective method of containing this which is currently at our disposal. There's been a noticeable change in tone too - no more "Life will be back to normal in 12 weeks/by Christmas/by Easter/by Spring." Instead there is an honesty apparent in the government's latest statements that no one really knows when things will start to return to anything like normal.

Just a shame that 120,000+ people had to die before they reached an acceptance that you can't optimistically talk your way out of a pandemic.

I love the fact you can so breezily ignore all the novel restrictions on our liberties imposed in the last year. I’ve barely been out, what have you been doing?

I love the fact you can so breezily ignore all the novel restrictions on our liberties imposed in the last year. I’ve barely been out, what have you been doing?

Wishing we’d done a year ago what we’re doing now (although we still have more to do on border closures).

If so, every chance we wouldn’t all be locked up indefinitely now. You have seen what life is like in Australia, NZ, South Korea, China and Taiwan, haven’t you?

Nope, less than 100 people traveled from that area in Brazil to the U.K. - it’s pretty easy to track back for the home office/boarder control/Abta etc etc

Even more reason to let me have the details so I can put the persons mind at rest if it was picked up after the flight?

This is a bit weird, Public Health England have contacted him to tell him someone on board of the flight he took has been tested as positive for corona, don't think we need you to do anything...

You really have no idea. I’m not even sure if you meant Manaus in Brazil but it’s irrelevant. Large parts of the world have sufficiently high levels of COVID infections to be classed as hotspots. You could bring it from Amsterdam or Timbuktu, it doesn’t matter. Fact is having open borders plays into the hands of the virus being allowed to continue spreading despite the efforts of many decent people in the UK. You’re never going to understand or admit you’re wrong so I don’t know why I waste my time replying to your brick posts to be honest. Keep enjoying lockdown for the rest of 2021 I couldn’t give a fcuk.

Lol. Ok mate.

Sadly I do know, I work for the team looking at passenger numbers from each starting destination Into the U.K. and also any flight that the airline have had an outbreak on.

For someone that doesn’t give a fudge, you remain angry.

I do enjoy taking you off block now and again just to see how close you are to exploding.

Last edited:
Wishing we’d done a year ago what we’re doing now (although we still have more to do on border closures).

If so, every chance we wouldn’t all be locked up indefinitely now. You have seen what life is like in Australia, NZ, South Korea, China and Taiwan, haven’t you?

And yet compared to North Korea, and to use your expression, those nations have just been all talk too.

WHO have said AZ vaccine is fine for over 65's and recommend 2nd does is 8-12 weeks after the 1st one. Backs up what we're doing here but I think some countries are only giving it to under 60's.

Looks like JCVI’s decisions about vaccinations have finally been endorsed World Health Organisation...

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-02-1...n-experts-provide-guidance-use-oxford-vaccine
The WHO has recommended that two standard doses of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 be administered at an 8 to 12 week interval in people aged 18 years and older. This dosing regimen was shown in clinical trials to be safe and effective in preventing symptomatic COVID-19, with no severe cases and no hospitalisations from COVID-19 more than 14 days after the second dose.

The new guidance marks a key step towards the University and AstraZeneca’s goal of providing global access to the vaccine, which is being made available on a not-for-profit basis during the pandemic.

Guess they must’ve watched professor Gilbert’s interview on Sunday!

Last edited:
Back