• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I meant the Prime Minister’s response for a year has centred on his belief that by saying that life would return to normal by a certain point (first it was in 12 weeks; then by Christmas; then Easter; then later in the Spring) that it would somehow magically happen.

He didn’t seem to grasp (twice - once last Spring; less forgivably, in the Autumn) that he needed to act quickly and decisively; and that a virus doesn’t follow a calendar, or isn’t dealt with through optimistic bluster.

Looks like JCVI’s decisions about vaccinations have finally been endorsed World Health Organisation...

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-02-1...n-experts-provide-guidance-use-oxford-vaccine

Guess they must’ve watched professor Gilbert’s interview on Sunday!

I still don’t think this gets round the issue of the lack of data for the Oxford jabs efficacy in the over 65s and there have been more questions around its efficacy against the SA variant than the other approved vaccines. I’m not surprised given this that other countries are being cautious.

WHO understands that the Oxford vaccine has great humanitarian potential providing protection to many poor countries who cannot get their hands on vaccines, understandably they want take up of the vaccine by these countries. I am hopeful regarding the Oxford vaccine but I am keen to see more data.

Lol. Ok mate.

Sadly I do know, I work for the team looking at passenger numbers from each starting destination Into the U.K. and also any flight that the airline have had an outbreak on.

For someone that doesn’t give a fudge, you remain angry.

I do enjoy taking you off block now and again just to see how close you are to exploding.

Wow well done you. That must be a rewarding job/career.

Lol. Ok mate.

Sadly I do know, I work for the team looking at passenger numbers from each starting destination Into the U.K. and also any flight that the airline have had an outbreak on.

For someone that doesn’t give a fudge, you remain angry.

I do enjoy taking you off block now and again just to see how close you are to exploding.

You can be proud of the role you've played in the UK's brilliant international travel/quarantine response.

As for exploding with anger. I'm currently in a beautiful place called Palm Cove on holiday enjoying a mini break in a Covid free country thanks. Going to the tennis is Melbourne next week. So angry about that. Your posts are just a reminder of what a mess the UK is.

My dad got his too a couple of Saturdays ago. Was wanting him to have the Pfizer jab because of the difference in efficacy although glad he has something. It’s amazing how doubt can grow in one’s mind despite me being very pro vaccines.

I'm not convinced the efficacy has been measured in the same way, from what I've read AZ swabbed everyone weekly so picked up asymptomatic people but Pfizer and Moderna swabbed those who showed symptons - purely guessing but on that measure I think they'd be similar. AZ also said it gives 100% protection against severe disease and death which is the main thing.

I'm not convinced the efficacy has been measured in the same way, from what I've read AZ swabbed everyone weekly so picked up asymptomatic people but Pfizer and Moderna swabbed those who showed symptons - purely guessing but on that measure I think they'd be similar. AZ also said it gives 400% protection against severe disease and death which is the main thing.

Surely that would have been factored into the data analysis. Plus if the AZ group had more younger people than the Pfizer or Moderna cohorts asymptomatics was a more important factor. Personally I would take a vaccine of 62% efficacy and likewise would happily accept it for my wife and kids. But for my older parents I would want them to get the highest efficacy jabs available. I think the AZ jab will be tweaked by the time of the 2nd dose or certainly a booster given. In the end you just want to do what's right by your loved ones.

Surely that would have been factored into the data analysis. Plus if the AZ group had more younger people than the Pfizer or Moderna cohorts asymptomatics was a more important factor. Personally I would take a vaccine of 62% efficacy and likewise would happily accept it for my wife and kids. But for my older parents I would want them to get the highest efficacy jabs available. I think the AZ jab will be tweaked by the time of the 2nd dose or certainly a booster given. In the end you just want to do what's right by your loved ones.

My mum also had the AstraZeneca jab but perhaps in 3 months time this study into “heterologous prime boosting” will mean that the Pfizer vaccine will be used as her booster to provide an optimum immune response.

The new improved AZ vaccine isn’t due until the autumn, according to what professor Gilbert said on Sunday.

You can be proud of the role you've played in the UK's brilliant international travel/quarantine response.

As for exploding with anger. I'm currently in a beautiful place called Palm Cove on holiday enjoying a mini break in a Covid free country thanks. Going to the tennis is Melbourne next week. So angry about that. Your posts are just a reminder of what a mess the UK is.

lol nothing to do with me hunni boo - Just the stats guy

You seem to assume I am worse off under lockdown?

Sadly it hasn’t really affected me much to your disappointment, hey if it continues I’ll get to carry on enjoying the perks it’s brought me personally - which by the way has been spent A great deal of time outside the U.K.

lol nothing to do with me hunni boo - Just the stats guy

You seem to assume I am worse off under lockdown?

Sadly it hasn’t really affected me much to your disappointment, hey if it continues I’ll get to carry on enjoying the perks it’s brought me personally - which by the way has been spent A great deal of time outside the U.K.

That's really going to help combat the spread. Well done stats guy. Did you count buses in your previous job?

I don't believe it has been but I've only skim read the news reports, they look at the number of people who test positive in the vaccine and placebo groups to work out their efficacy I believe so if they diagnose positive cases differently then the efficacy isn't comparable. AZ's US trial results should be out soon which will give us more data particularly in older people and hopefully give that re-assurance.

Of course I know what you mean, my parents both had the Pfizer jab but the inlaws had the AZ one but no one in the AZ trials developed severe disease or died which at this stage is the main thing.

Think the main thing is that if it stops people dying, well, then that's literally what we need. I don't think the expectation was ever we would entirely eradicate COVID, you just need to control it in a way that allows people to get closer to normality again.

I see now we're done with Brexit, the European, sorry i mean Covid Research Group is now dictating what will happen in the UK. Steve Baker now talking down scientists and many will happy clap him for it. Imbeciles.

Having a full public debate is essential at this time but I fear senior scientists are failing to recognise their power to spread despair and despondency. Some seem to be floating untested hypotheses in the media. Doing so is not science. It is the death of science. Perhaps worse, it brings scientists squarely into the political domain, something we would I am sure all like to avoid

I see now we're done with Brexit, the European, sorry i mean Covid Research Group is now dictating what will happen in the UK. Steve Baker now talking down scientists and many will happy clap him for it. Imbeciles.

Having a full public debate is essential at this time but I fear senior scientists are failing to recognise their power to spread despair and despondency. Some seem to be floating untested hypotheses in the media. Doing so is not science. It is the death of science. Perhaps worse, it brings scientists squarely into the political domain, something we would I am sure all like to avoid

Would love it if Stevie B was replaced in the commons by a scientist.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Untested hypotheses being the very birth channel of science.

Thatcher was a scientist. Can’t think of any others.

Back