• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

No one who received the AZ vaccine in the trial developed strong enough symptons requiring them to be taken to hospital. I'm sure in real life some will be but I don't think it's quite like having 6 million people walking around at the same risk of dying as before.

But weren't the volunteers for the phase 3 trial 18-55, so less likely to have severe symptoms anyway?

No one who received the AZ vaccine in the trial developed strong enough symptons requiring them to be taken to hospital. I'm sure in real life some will be but I don't think it's quite like having 6 million people walking around at the same risk of dying as before.

I believe that they also included cases where people developed Covid within 12 days of having the vaccine, when they won't have developed any immunity.

But weren't the volunteers for the phase 3 trial 18-55, so less likely to have severe symptoms anyway?

No, they were only 18-55 for the trial where they received a half dose and then the full dose which gave better results. There was another phase 3 trail with 2 full doses for around 30K people of all ages.

No, they were only 18-55 for the trial where they received a half dose and then the full dose which gave better results. There was another phase 3 trail with 2 full doses for around 30K people of all ages.

It was a large group across four countries

So its not this...? 8th dec
https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-12-08-first-peer-reviewed-results-phase-3-human-trials-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine#:~:text=Today University of Oxford and,an average efficacy of 70.4%.&text=No hospitalisations or severe disease were observed in the vaccinated groups.

did more come later?

There were trials in Italy too and are ongoing in the US. They started in the UK and Italy and then started elsewhere when cases started falling in Europe during the summer.

You see I would make the safer assumption there. However, having just looked at weekly hospital admission numbers the under 50’s account for a lower fraction of nhs covid resources than I thought so that adds weight to the idea of opening up as per Luton and Milo.

They'll be a lot more data to come yet @ricky2tricky4city.
I was more questioning a point P.D had made.

On the ONS data. It certainly looks like the number (or percentages) of under 50's dying or having severe symptoms could never justify any continuation of severe measures once all the groups above 50 have been vaccinated. Thre has to be some level of tolerance of death and that bar looks low enough, and probably wont even be thought about once all the high infection rates and hospitalisations subside as they surely should.

Around the time of all the club football finals...things will be rosier (thats my prediction)

I was more questioning a point P.D had made.

On the ONS data. It certainly looks like the number (or percentages) of under 50's dying or having severe symptoms could never justify any continuation of severe measures once all the groups above 50 have been vaccinated. Thre has to be some level of tolerance of death and that bar looks low enough, and probably wont even be thought about once all the high infection rates and hospitalisations subside as they surely should.

I think that we'll know a lot more about that in a few weeks time with regards to the new variant and age. The lag between contracting the disease, hospitalisation and death makes it difficult to read early.

I think that we'll know a lot more about that in a few weeks time with regards to the new variant and age. The lag between contracting the disease, hospitalisation and death makes it difficult to read early.

You can add in that the data for the last couple of weeks is probably incomplete or delayed because of Christmas and New Year. I think that everything should be a little clearer by the end of the week.

I thought the tweet with the pub idea as local venues was actually a decent idea.(for the Oxford vac) Usually parking, seperate in and out doors, seating for pre an post vac, fridges behind the bar, and the bar as a natrual barrier between health proffesional and public (maybe with screens?) They are a venue that stays open late usually, so nothing out of the norm for nearby residents. Keeps people away from doctor surgeries as well. Landlord/lady can receive a site fee as well.
Brewdog are doin just that

So um yeah who trusts Chris whitty after his early proclamations? Why are we taking such a risk? When as I understand it testing (lack of) does not back up their estimations?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-will-not-delay-second-doses-of-covid-vaccine
Probably because it makes a lot of sense.

The US has chosen to vaccinate fewer people (roughly half) with a (possibly, but unproven) greater chance of each individual being immune.

The UK has chosen to vaccinate twice as many people with a (possibly, but unproven) smaller chance of each individual being immune. This comes with the added benefit that it's quite likely (given how most similar vaccines behave) that one dose will actually have a similar level of immunity.

You and much of the press are making the same mistake I mentioned the other day. Being unproven at this point does not mean it's unlikely, it just means we haven't had time to test it and are having to rely on the many millions of similar examples we do have data for.

Regional restrictions in England are "probably about to get tougher" to curb rising Covid infections, the prime minister has warned.

Boris Johnson said there were a "range of tougher measures" that he would consider in the coming weeks to grapple with the new variant of the virus.

He added this included the possibility of keeping schools closed, although this is not "something we want to do".

What a surprise. The city of Victimpool is joining hands with trades unions and insisting people don't go to work and the government pays them to sit on their arses all day.

Makes sense I suppose. If nobody works and we're all on the scrounge, there's one less reason for us to all point and laugh at that city.

I see the head of OFSTED wrote in the Torygraph that schools need to remain open. Then I read up on her.

Amanda Spielman was rejected by Education Committee citing lack of teaching experience, lack of passion, lack of understanding of complexity of the role as head of OFSTED.

Nicky Morgan gave her the role anyway.

No surprise to now see her support her master's writing in the Torygraph.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I see the head of OFSTED wrote in the Torygraph that schools need to remain open. Then I read up on her.

Amanda Spielman was rejected by Education Committee citing lack of teaching experience, lack of passion, lack of understanding of complexity of the role as head of OFSTED.

Nicky Morgan gave her the role anyway.

No surprise to now see her support her master's writing in the Torygraph.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
She's right in what she's said though.

Back