• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I hope that we get a clear plan from the government on how they are going to do this very soon.

• What the priority groups are and how many people are in each.
  • What their target for weekly vaccinations are and how long it will take for them to get there.
  • How much vaccine they have available and future supplies with dates.
  • When they expect to have vaccinated enough people to begin relaxing restrictions.
No spin. No talking themselves up or overselling. A realistic, achievable plan that they can stick to and their performance can be measured against.

Much of this information has already been released where it's available, the priority group ordering was out weks ago and the number of people in each is on the BBC for example. It's very difficult to give exact figures on vaccines because they can only go by what they're told from the manufacturers - case in point is Pfizer have already had to reduce the number they previously said they could deliver this year.

The government deserve a lot of criticism but vaccine wise they have done fairly well as they've backed a no of candiates, provided more funding to Covax than anyone else, funded 2 vaccines in the UK which will be sold at cost to other countries and uses rolling reviews of info to provide approval quicker. It sounds like the numbers are going well too and they'll only speed up with a vaccine that easier to store and distribute as well as it being easier to bring younger age groups in for appointment.

I see a lot of criticsim that vaccines aren't starting till Monday as though you can just inject right away, it needs to be packaged, quality checked, distriuted to central locations for shipping to local buildings, appointments have to be made and it's likely many health people aren't due back at work until Monday.

Much of this information has already been released where it's available, the priority group ordering was out weks ago and the number of people in each is on the BBC for example. It's very difficult to give exact figures on vaccines because they can only go by what they're told from the manufacturers - case in point is Pfizer have already had to reduce the number they previously said they could deliver this year.

The government deserve a lot of criticism but vaccine wise they have done fairly well as they've backed a no of candiates, provided more funding to Covax than anyone else, funded 2 vaccines in the UK which will be sold at cost to other countries and uses rolling reviews of info to provide approval quicker. It sounds like the numbers are going well too and they'll only speed up with a vaccine that easier to store and distribute as well as it being easier to bring younger age groups in for appointment.

I see a lot of criticsim that vaccines aren't starting till Monday as though you can just inject right away, it needs to be packaged, quality checked, distriuted to central locations for shipping to local buildings, appointments have to be made and it's likely many health people aren't due back at work until Monday.

I'm aware of the information published on prioritisation on vaccines but I think that it would be helpful to fit this against an high level timeline and provide details of at what stage they expect to be able to relax measures and what that would look like.

The pricing of the Oxford/AZ vaccine is down to Oxford University, they are the ones that negotiated it. My understanding is that AZ aren't happy now that they have seen what happened to Pfizer's and Moderna's share price and are unlikely to agree a similar deal again. I think that they are only tied to a cost price for a couple of years.

I agree with you on starting next week and scaling up. I just hope that the last few months have been used well and they are ready to scale up as supplies become available.

I'm aware of the information published on prioritisation on vaccines but I think that it would be helpful to fit this against an high level timeline and provide details of at what stage they expect to be able to relax measures and what that would look like.

The pricing of the Oxford/AZ vaccine is down to Oxford University, they are the ones that negotiated it. My understanding is that AZ aren't happy now that they have seen what happened to Pfizer's and Moderna's share price and are unlikely to agree a similar deal again. I think that they are only tied to a cost price for a couple of years.

I agree with you on starting next week and scaling up. I just hope that the last few months have been used well and they are ready to scale up as supplies become available.

They've said in lots of the press conferences that April is the target with the summer being the ultimat ambition for larger scale events like concerts etc but it's based on so many variables like when approval is granted, how many doses are made available, take up, availability of medical personnel to inject (if hospitals are maxed out less people are available), effect on new strain etc.

AZ have agreed to provide it as cost until the pandemic ends and forever to developing countries (https://www.theguardian.com/global-...ca-results-covid-vaccine-developing-countries), I don't think this would have happened without there being significant government funding for it.

They've said in lots of the press conferences that April is the target with the summer being the ultimat ambition for larger scale events like concerts etc but it's based on so many variables like when approval is granted, how many doses are made available, take up, availability of medical personnel to inject (if hospitals are maxed out less people are available), effect on new strain etc.

AZ have agreed to provide it as cost until the pandemic ends and forever to developing countries (https://www.theguardian.com/global-...ca-results-covid-vaccine-developing-countries), I don't think this would have happened without there being significant government funding for it.

I know, I'd just like something a little more detailed. I know that it won't happen but I fear that people are hearing the spring and think that everything will return to normal by then. I think that is bad expectation management.

I think that until the pandemic ends is defined as two years. I know they will continue providing it at cost for the developing world.

The government gave £85m towards development and testing of the Oxford/AZ vaccine. No doubt buying so many doses helped too.

I know, I'd just like something a little more detailed. I know that it won't happen but I fear that people are hearing the spring and think that everything will return to normal by then. I think that is bad expectation management.

I think that until the pandemic ends is defined as two years. I know they will continue providing it at cost for the developing world.

The government gave £85m towards development and testing of the Oxford/AZ vaccine. No doubt buying so many doses helped too.

There lies the problem, too much detail and he's accused of making promises he can't keep and too little leaves people confused. Your question was asked at the press conference today - https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ster-news/can-act-wild-abandon-bingo-19541629

I accept that it’s not easy.

However, they’ve known for at least a fortnight (months really) that this day was coming for the AZ vaccine. It’s not a surprise. And we’re told that it’s been manufactured and is ready to go. Why couldn’t it have been sent out to at least some mass vaccination centres which were ready to open their doors today? They should have had a plan months ago re who was going to actually give the injections. It looks like they’re only starting to think about that now.

I don’t think it bodes well.

I hope that we get a clear plan on how they are going to do this very soon.

• What the priority groups are and how many people are in each.
  • What their target for weekly vaccinations are and how long it will take for them to get there.
  • How much vaccine they have available and future supplies with dates.
  • When they expect to have vaccinated enough people to begin relaxing restrictions.
No spin. No talking themselves up or overselling. A realistic, achievable plan that they can stick to and their performance can be measured against.

You lost me at "I hope we get a clear plan from the Govt".

One thing this Govt has shown in bucket loads since Dec 2019 specifically is that it will U-Turn and spin at the last possible moment on any range of issues with little to no notice or preparation.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

They announced today they would start injecting the Astra Zeneca one on Monday. 5 wasted days. And the programme they have at the moment is, as others have pointed out, so slow that it’ll take the guts of a year to get anywhere.
Fingers crossed there’s not a surge in cases due to Christmas and NYE get togethers, as even those doctors & nurses who’ve already had their vaccines need to stay clear of infection for a couple of weeks until their immune systems are producing enough antibodies and T cells to repel the coronavirus.

Regarding vax capacity you want to be able to vaccinate as many as possible in as small a time frame as possible. If your health service isn't struggling you could use junior nurses as additional capacity.

Unfortunately we've ballsed that up already as numbers in hospitals rocket AHEAD of the peak season of Jan/Feb.

Crazy to think that just weeks ago packed crowds were shopping across London and SE, areas regarded as T2 with a higher prevalence of covid numbers than many T3 areas.

Ultimately I'm just really fudged off. A lot of friends over or people I follow in Australia and every time they post a pic, they're out for lunch, they're at a festival, they're at the gym. And I don't get why we couldnt control of this? Other countries have shown it's possible.

People complaining "you can't lockdown because of the economy". Well, several countries did and managed it properly through testing and tracing and their economic recovery is afoot, as I said, people out and about etc.

We're close to entering our 3/4 version of a lockdown, because we never once bothered to get to grips. And it was all so avoidable.

Don't expect everyone's experience to be the same as this fellow, but this shows a country that has controlled mechanisms to at best open the economy, get sports stadiums running again, get control of the pandemic.

That video didn’t work for me but as someone who had to do the 14 day hotel quarantine on my return from London in early April, it made perfect sense as the primary tool in combating the virus here in Australia. Sure there’s been mistakes, people breaking out the hotels, security guards sleeping with quarantined travellers but if you’ve got free and open borders you really can’t control things. The UK was due to its island nature, easy to implement something similar. The government chose to ignore the option and as a result people went to Europe, South Africa and no doubt the US which means any other form of lockdown simply wouldn’t work. History will decide who made the best decisions. They’ll be using hotel quarantine here deep into 2021 even post vaccines IMO.

Regarding vax capacity you want to be able to vaccinate as many as possible in as small a time frame as possible. If your health service isn't struggling you could use junior nurses as additional capacity.

Unfortunately we've ballsed that up already as numbers in hospitals rocket AHEAD of the peak season of Jan/Feb.

Crazy to think that just weeks ago packed crowds were shopping across London and SE, areas regarded as T2 with a higher prevalence of covid numbers than many T3 areas.

Ultimately I'm just really fudged off. A lot of friends over or people I follow in Australia and every time they post a pic, they're out for lunch, they're at a festival, they're at the gym. And I don't get why we couldnt control of this? Other countries have shown it's possible.

People complaining "you can't lockdown because of the economy". Well, several countries did and managed it properly through testing and tracing and their economic recovery is afoot, as I said, people out and about etc.

We're close to entering our 3/4 version of a lockdown, because we never once bothered to get to grips. And it was all so avoidable.

I know most of the country has been told not to leave their homes unless it’s essential, and that we’re staring down the barrel of this being the case until Spring. And I know that we can’t travel to lots of countries around the world at the moment - but we’ve got our freedom!

And can you imagine the damage to the economy if we’d locked down properly at the beginning. Okay, so most non-essential shops and all hospitality is now indefinitely closed - but it would have been so much worse if we’d closed down quickly and opened up later.

And we’ve kept our deaths to under 100,000 - so far.

I completely understand where the anti-lockdown crew are coming from. Everything they said seems right in hindsight.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I accept that it’s not easy.

However, they’ve known for at least a fortnight (months really) that this day was coming for the AZ vaccine. It’s not a surprise. And we’re told that it’s been manufactured and is ready to go. Why couldn’t it have been sent out to at least some mass vaccination centres which were ready to open their doors today? They should have had a plan months ago re who was going to actually give the injections. It looks like they’re only starting to think about that now.

I don’t think it bodes well.
Yet the very same people complaining we weren't sorting this out before approval are the ones who would be criticising the govt for wasting money on doing just that had it not been approved.

Some people are just looking for excuses to criticise either way.

Back