• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

No surprise. It’s just a convenient excuse to do what everybody else knew was obvious.

His press conference tonight was yet another embarrassment.

Something doesn’t add up

As I’ve said before a free for all at Christmas isn’t a good idea - that’s not shielding the at risk.

It’s really starting to look like he announced the mutant strain to scare people over Christmas into staying in and shift the blame for cutting the 5 days and its backfired.

Given you have to assume he has seen the evidence if he was that worried the whole country would be in lockdown now.

Why wait till Parliament have broken up?

The groundwork was done last week by Hanrooster mentioning it.

Faisal Islam is reporting Europe is tinkled that the U.K. didn’t alert them via the early warning systems in place and thus the shutdown, again, why would he not have done this if they think it’s that serious?

He’s either refusing to lockdown early with Super Covid in Kent or he’s over played it and now he’s trying to save face.

Neither is a good look

Considering Sages answer to everything is lockdown, them saying we should be locking down isn’t groundbreaking either- it’s more about Johnson/Hanroosters response.

Sweden have now said they more than likely they have cases of it but don’t seem bothered.

@Legohamster
Apparently the full details of the higher ability for spread only got to Govt on Fri.
It does seem on this occasion that the Govt reacted appropriately.

Crazy times - NI are talking of banning travel between NI & Britain.

I think the new year will see a move to Tier 3 in most places.
Tier 4 will fudge the economy too much to justify.
The shock message is out there now.

What is startling is how little humans understand about viruses. Considering this, it is sensational we're able to produce vaccines.

There was a study that looked at viral load. It found that the more virus you get, the more severe your infection. It's one study. We're not even sure if its true. More research is needed. If it is true, catching covid from a really sick person could be a lot worse (which is one explanation for why front-line NHS staff seemed to suffer more). We don't know if the dose matters (e.g. how many droplet you say breath in) or the person's level of sickness (how much virus is in the droplets) makes a difference. Or for that matter if getting multiple doses of covid in a short space of time from different people has an effect. Chances are all these things have some kind of impact.

We really know so little about the many many variables to do with viral transmission. Probably a similar thing with mutations. We don't know why this new variant is more catchable for sure. It could just be it makes people sneeze more - so spreading the virus more. So much more to be learned and be studied.

Last edited:
Our government is on a different level of brick.

They have got every major decision wrong during the pandemic; they expend most of their energy on avoiding responsibility; they have presided over the double whammy of one of the highest death rates in the world and the biggest economic hit; and most of them (and their pals) have made a fortune out of it all.

I don't really agree, I think if you lived in those countries and saw the inside it would be similar. They also don't have effective track and trace and their death rates are murkier than ours (with care home deaths not released as one example). I'd imagine there's a fair amount of corruption and cronyism in those countries too (particularly Italy). If the pandemic has taught anything it's that politicians and national leaders are mostly a useless bunch across the globe.

This government are useless and hopefully we vote them out 2024. However I find it hard to believe they're "using" this new strain because they've lost control (again).

Lots being made of this circulating in children and schools and hence the explosion in numbers, some areas in the south east have jumped massively with little explain except the new strain

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

How are you getting that logic ?
June IMO sounds very excessive
Certainly Easter is realistic to me

Hanroosters already said the way out of Tier 4 is vaccination, which should be done by Easter as you say.

but given how much they have mucked up is it much of a leap to get to 10 weeks later?

Oxford hasn’t been given the go ahead yet, which will speed thing up - but then you are still relying on the roll out/supply and jabbing enough.

What is startling is how little humans understand about viruses. Considering this, it is sensational we're able to produce vaccines.

There was a study that looked at viral load. It found that the more virus you get, the more severe your infection. It's one study. We're not even sure if its true. More research is needed. If it is true, catching covid from a really sick person could be a lot worse (which is one explanation for why front-line NHS staff seemed to suffer more). We don't know if the dose matters (e.g. how many droplet you say breath in) or the person's level of sickness (how much virus is in the droplets) makes a difference. Or for that matter if getting multiple doses of covid in a short space of time from different people has an effect. Chances are all these things have some kind of impact.

We really know so little about the many many variables to do with viral transmission. Probably a similar thing with mutations. We don't know why this new variant is more catchable for sure. It could just be it makes people sneeze more - so spreading the virus more. So much more to be learned and be studied.
I think you might be confusing your lack of understanding with a general one.

Humans know a huge amount about viruses. What you'll continually hear from researchers is "we're not sure." That doesn't mean they don't know, it means they're not absolutely certain and it's their job to be certain before making statements. But by the standards you or I would apply to our knowledge, they know.

I don't really agree, I think if you lived in those countries and saw the inside it would be similar. They also don't have effective track and trace and their death rates are murkier than ours (with care home deaths not released as one example). I'd imagine there's a fair amount of corruption and cronyism in those countries too (particularly Italy). If the pandemic has taught anything it's that politicians and national leaders are mostly a useless bunch across the globe.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ovid-19-mutation-occur?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Back