• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

It is an interesting read, albeit one which if you're not a scientist is tough to fully grasp. The upshot appears to be that there are some mutations which are bucking the trend and springing up faster but it is too early to gauge the severity of their virulence? If there is another extrapolation I'm interested to know.

I think the upswing here is as much to do with a relaxation in people’s behaviours as it is to do with a more virulent strain.

That and it’s the winter.

It is an interesting read, albeit one which if you're not a scientist is tough to fully grasp. The upshot appears to be that there are some mutations which are bucking the trend and springing up faster but it is too early to gauge the severity of their virulence? If there is another extrapolation I'm interested to know.
We could quite clearly be a victim of our own robust genomic surveillance systems. As quoted in one of the posts above ' if you don't sequence, you'll just never know'. We very much do, are upfront about our findings (rightly so) but get sledgehammerd for it (perhaps rightly so as well, all countries will protect themselves).

It's harsh 1. Because other countries don't have the capabilities or can't be bothered sequencing and as a consequence will never help the overall fight or have no 'bad news' to deliver 2. Some are of these countries could well be in the same situation (strain wise) and just don't know it. 3. It's been pointed out that early data in this area is muddy and unreliable BUT overseas interventions that will cause upheavel are already implemented. From a domestic viewpoint it appears that the spread rate of this strain is more rapid (could be behaviour patterns though) and if it turns out to be more virulent as well then that will swamp medical resources shortly.

If they've used it simply as a vehicle to deliver the 'Christmas is cancelled' message then they've misjudged the consequences. Alternatively perhaps we feel it's the done thing to be upfront about discoveries and concerns? But I don't think all (many) countries sign up to such transparency levels?

Last edited:
So I know we are in unusual times (they are not unprecedented iny opinion - we just have greater knowledge and exposure to information), but I'm pretty sure I heard experienced virologists predict this - viruses by definition mutate to keep themselves alive and as a result become less dangerous to health as they need their hosts.

Maybe I'm being too simplistic. But it strikes me this is where we are and the UK is the focal point as we have extremely advanced virus tracking programs.

It's been like this the whole time, hasn't it? Spain and Italy aren't releasing death numbers from their care homes, their media hasn't forced them too. At least during the first wave that was true. Now they probably aren't tracking the virus mutations like we are either. The government have been brick don't get me wrong but so have Spain, France and Italy's.

It's been like this the whole time, hasn't it? Spain and Italy aren't releasing death numbers from their care homes, their media hasn't forced them too. At least during the first wave that was true. Now they probably aren't tracking the virus mutations like we are either. The government have been brick don't get me wrong but so have Spain, France and Italy's.

Our government is on a different level of brick.

They have got every major decision wrong during the pandemic; they expend most of their energy on avoiding responsibility; they have presided over the double whammy of one of the highest death rates in the world and the biggest economic hit; and most of them (and their pals) have made a fortune out of it all.

Last edited:
Our government is on a different level of brick.

They have got every major decision wrong due the pandemic; they expend most of their energy on avoiding responsibility; they have presided over the double whammy of one of the highest death rates in the world and the biggest economic hit; and most of them (and their pals) have made a fortune out of it all.
100% agree, they are cretins

So I know we are in unusual times (they are not unprecedented iny opinion - we just have greater knowledge and exposure to information), but I'm pretty sure I heard experienced virologists predict this - viruses by definition mutate to keep themselves alive and as a result become less dangerous to health as they need their hosts.

Maybe I'm being too simplistic. But it strikes me this is where we are and the UK is the focal point as we have extremely advanced virus tracking programs.

A while back I read a few articles saying Covid will likely turn into something more like a cold because of that but could take 50 years to evolve.

At the rate we are vaccinating you could safely assume that all over 75s will have the vaccine by February. 80% of deaths are in this age and above. At that point we should see a significant drop in deaths and infections and I think there is when we open up with mass testing in place. Thoughts?

At the rate we are vaccinating you could safely assume that all over 75s will have the vaccine by February. 80% of deaths are in this age and above. At that point we should see a significant drop in deaths and infections and I think there is when we open up with mass testing in place. Thoughts?
I stopped stressing about what the future holds Covid wise.

With such inept and weak leadership in this country, it's largely pointless.

Isolate and stay safe.

All depends if the world is willing to accept that there will be an annual death toll when the world is back open even with a vaccine, but it will be significantly more controlled like seasonal flu which can be between 10 to 50,000 a year. I ask the question yesterday but there was no answer which may be a reflection of the question haha but would people be willing to accept that people are likely to still die even with the vaccine but the numbers will come down drastically if it meant a return to normality or would you want to see longer restrictions till they get Covid down to as close to zero as they can?

Did you have to get an insurance green card/travel permit, was it a faff?
Yes, I’ve got one in case of a no deal Brexit. Driving before they the 31st but returning afterwards will be an issue without the card.
In any case, this could be a moot point now the border is shut.

I remain to be convinced that these clowns can roll out a vaccination programme, given that they’ve fudged up everything so far.

All depends if the world is willing to accept that there will be an annual death toll when the world is back open even with a vaccine, but it will be significantly more controlled like seasonal flu which can be between 10 to 50,000 a year. I ask the question yesterday but there was no answer which may be a reflection of the question haha but would people be willing to accept that people are likely to still die even with the vaccine but the numbers will come down drastically if it meant a return to normality or would you want to see longer restrictions till they get Covid down to as close to zero as they can?

I can’t imagine that anyone anywhere believes that deaths from this virus will ever be eradicated. As you say, I’ve assumed the best we could ever hope for is deaths at a seasonal flu level. We’ll continue to get better at treating it so numbers of deaths will probably continue to lower a bit year on year.

Ha
EpwZugaXcAE8tct

Last edited:
if therapeutics get better, and the vaccine rolls out to the 70+age group (and works), in theory as the average age of victims is 80 it should follow that deaths should be minimal, much much less than seasonal flu. And thinking about it, that doesn't have to be a long time frame. (Summer 2021?)

Caveat that theory by saying that is based on what we know at this point ie the vaccine (s) probably works and the virus doesn't mutate into more deadly strains or start seriously effecting younger age groups.

I've written everything off until April when it warms up - don't think anything will really change before then.

Back