• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

My parents are octogenarians. The vaccination will be an absolute blessing for all of us.

I’ll be opening a big bottle of Pfizz at Christmas!

I think I might be within group 9 by the time that comes around.

So you don't think distancing and mask wearing has anything to do with it. I think we can hypothesise that it does. Flu is less lethal than Corona and less contagious.

I don’t think you get from on average 14k deaths to 400, due to masks and social distancing, Nor would you see the complete drop off we have.

70 percent of flu deaths are 65 and older, which is prime covid deaths

Nor do I think completely isolating ourselves from illness is a good thing.

I’ve been here years longer than you, thank you very much and talked a hell of a lot less crap.

You can tell, hanging around on Internet forums getting angry seems to have made you a little stressed and unhinged.

Maybe you should spend more time with the other half, or has she got as bored of you as I have?

You can tell, hanging around on Internet forums getting angry seems to have made you a little stressed and unhinged.

Maybe you should spend more time with the other half, or has she got as bored of you as I have?

In fairness, it does not seem to have done too much for you by your hypothesis. Of course the truth is that I doubt anyone is having the greatest, stress-free year of their lives right now. So we're all in a similar boat, albeit some seas are choppier than others, it's still generally a rough current.

I am interested, however, in your apparent distrust of science? Am I reading you properly?

I agree that it is important to be outside, get exercise, and not panic react/bunker in the cellar. But can you honestly say you don't think the world's increased application of basic hygiene has not helped keep flus and the like down?

In my view, masks will be far more common in the future going forward, like in Asia. that's not to say everyone will wear them, because fudging dingdongheads right now can't seem to wear one during the height of the pandemic, so they definitely wont wear one post-vaccination.

But things like public transport in London, i guarentee you people will wear masks and it will be far more commonplace than before. I'll wear one for commuting into work and back probably post pandemic.

In my view, masks will be far more common in the future going forward, like in Asia. that's not to say everyone will wear them, because fudging dingdongheads right now can't seem to wear one during the height of the pandemic, so they definitely wont wear one post-vaccination.

But things like public transport in London, i guarentee you people will wear masks and it will be far more commonplace than before. I'll wear one for commuting into work and back probably post pandemic.

Likewise, I think I'll always be wearing one on the train from now on, they are pretty quiet when I do go in but at some point we'll be back to standing room only. :mask:

As mentioned by Tommy above, in Melbourne we haven’t had a single case for about forty days/closed international borders etc and there’s still loads of people wearing masks. At least 50% of people in semi busy situations I’d say.

As mentioned by Tommy above, in Melbourne we haven’t had a single case for about forty days/closed international borders etc and there’s still loads of people wearing masks. At least 50% of people in semi busy situations I’d say.

exactly, it's a cultural shift that's occured. Like i said, i've seen plenty of people not wearing them now (and i dont believe those all to be 'health exempt') so will be a large proportion that do not post vaccine. But doesn't bother me wearing one, if it means i get 1% less colds/flu or share that around whilst sat watching netflix on the train, it's no biggie.

of course others feel like being asked to wear a mask for 20mins in sainsburys is akin to being asked to walk barefoot through the sahara desert.

Just shows you what a top class negotiating job Boris has done with COVID to get it to down tools for the Christmas week.

based on the numbers i am seeing (my local area as of 5th Dec is higher now than before lockdown) - i just find it incredible the Xmas rules being put in place. Jan/Feb will be a brick show.

A massive balls up by the government. Dont think offices and factories and essential shops should ever have closed. But till you can vacanite the sick and the old then you should shut down restaurants etc.

based on the numbers i am seeing (my local area as of 5th Dec is higher now than before lockdown) - i just find it incredible the Xmas rules being put in place. Jan/Feb will be a brick show.

Nothing surprises me, as we have a group of incompetents in charge.

The argument advanced is that that people will do what they want anyway, and the Christmas rules are an attempt at holding on to some sort of control.

To which the answer is, your public messaging has obviously been brick then; and you should still be showing some leadership by telling people what is actually safe - and by making clear exactly what the effect is going to be on the NHS come mid-January and February.

In fairness, it does not seem to have done too much for you by your hypothesis. Of course the truth is that I doubt anyone is having the greatest, stress-free year of their lives right now. So we're all in a similar boat, albeit some seas are choppier than others, it's still generally a rough current.

I am interested, however, in your apparent distrust of science? Am I reading you properly?

I agree that it is important to be outside, get exercise, and not panic react/bunker in the cellar. But can you honestly say you don't think the world's increased application of basic hygiene has not helped keep flus and the like down?

I don’t distrust science at all (I have no issue with taking a vaccine) but the science on masks since day 1 has been indifferent to the point Sage/CDC/Who didn’t back them fully.

This is from the who in March:

No. WHO does not recommend that asymptomatic individuals (i.e., who do not have respiratory symptoms) in the community should wear medical masks, as currently there is no evidence that routine use of medical masks by healthy individuals prevents 2019-nCoV transmission. Masks are recommended to be used by symptomatic persons in the community. Misuse and overuse of medical masks may cause serious issues of shortage of stocks and lack of mask availability for those who actually need to wear them.

In health care facilities where health care workers are directly taking care of suspect or confirmed 2019-nCoV acute respiratory disease patients, masks are an important part of containing 2019-nCoV spread between people, along with other PPE and hand hygiene. For more information on medical mask use, click here.

Then look at what people are using as masks - scarfs/single use masks used numerous times/old bits of cloth etc etc which are not which if unclean can cause different bacterial issues

Cases are getting absolutely ridiculous where i am in Kent at the moment. School classes / years closing on a daily basis. Friends and family having to self isolate due to being in close contact.

and to top it off my work are telling workers to stay in even though they have had close contact and are awaiting test results. Funny thing is i work in a garage and the MOT tester who is in and out of peoples cars all day is one of the guys who is awaiting results!

I don’t distrust science at all (I have no issue with taking a vaccine) but the science on masks since day 1 has been indifferent to the point Sage/CDC/Who didn’t back them fully.

This is from the who in March:

No. WHO does not recommend that asymptomatic individuals (i.e., who do not have respiratory symptoms) in the community should wear medical masks, as currently there is no evidence that routine use of medical masks by healthy individuals prevents 2019-nCoV transmission. Masks are recommended to be used by symptomatic persons in the community. Misuse and overuse of medical masks may cause serious issues of shortage of stocks and lack of mask availability for those who actually need to wear them.

In health care facilities where health care workers are directly taking care of suspect or confirmed 2019-nCoV acute respiratory disease patients, masks are an important part of containing 2019-nCoV spread between people, along with other PPE and hand hygiene. For more information on medical mask use, click here.

Then look at what people are using as masks - scarfs/single use masks used numerous times/old bits of cloth etc etc which are not which if unclean can cause different bacterial issues

i think earlier on in the pandemic they simply didn't know, and also didn't want public taking medical grade masks out of the hands of medical staff.

Now though more recent research backs the usage of masks. Agree, some masks are brick and may not make any difference, which is why you should do your homework before buying, but at least there is some evidence now to suggest mask wearing helps:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

Back