• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I really dont agree with any of that.

Protect the care homes.

Let local councils work with the nhs to figure out who is vulnerable and isolate them.

Let the rest of us carry on our lives.

Not to harp on, but I came back from China start of February thin as a rake from the chemo and stem cell treatment, wound up in Worthing hospital with covid and beat it. I'm in my 50s.

Wrecking the whole country and economy for future generations for an illness that does not much damage is fcuking madness.
You cannot protect only the vulnerable. They need people to look after them, or they need to go out to get essentials for themselves.

Even if the councils are given the test and trace system, which I support, if employers and employees are desperate they still go to work. So if the stick is not enough you need to strengthen the carrot. The government doesn’t want to strengthen either the stick or the carrot.

I am sorry to hear about your illness mate and I am glad you recovered from your covid infection. But it is far from a disease that doesn't cause any damage. I speak as someone who lost a very dear person to it on Easter Sunday. I also speak as someone who has multiple members of my family working in the NHS as physios and nurses. They described the horror of every day seeing 20-30 bodies being removed in body bags. If it gets hold of you it is a really horrible and painful way to go with multiple organ failure.

Edit.

cant be bothered to deal with someone pushing death.

Because I believe a reasoned strategy would be the way forward, somehow that means I push death? What are you talking about?

I still haven't seen you articulate an alternative strategy to countries that have handled this ridiculous situation with comparative success..

At the very least I think one thing we can agree on is the English government are totally culpable for the current situation. That's where I'll leave it.

Doesn’t sound too different to my usual experiences with the NHS over the last decade. It’s what happens when you chronically underfund a public service for a prolonged period of time.

My 78 year old mother had a chest infection last December. She spent 36 hours on a trolley in a corridor awaiting a bed.

Really don't want to like that post, doesn't feel right liking a post describing someone's suffering. But yes you are right.
My personal experience of the NHS is exceptional, but I've seen enough from others to know is the exception rather than the norm.

I hope your mum is well now, its scary when they ill.

You cannot protect only the vulnerable. They need people to look after them, or they need to go out to get essentials for themselves.

Even if the councils are given the test and trace system, which I support, if employers and employees are desperate they still go to work. So if the stick is not enough you need to strengthen the carrot. The government doesn’t want to strengthen either the stick or the carrot.

I am sorry to hear about your illness mate and I am glad you recovered from your covid infection. But it is far from a disease that doesn't cause any damage. I speak as someone who lost a very dear person to it on Easter Sunday. I also speak as someone who has multiple members of my family working in the NHS as physios and nurses. They described the horror of every day seeing 20-30 bodies being removed in body bags. If it gets hold of you it is a really horrible and painful way to go with multiple organ failure.

There does need to be a plan C because waiting for a vaccine could be waiting till this time neaxt yeat and the idea of plunging a country into further turmoil is not a plan as far as I can see

Where as Peru who have had the toughest lockdown (complete with army on the streets) of them all and are not in the middle of nowhere have had the worst results in the world.

In fact Belgium/France/Spain all had the toughest restrictions in Europe and they are all getting rises in cases/deaths - all older generations and majority in care homes/hospitals.

Arden from what I can see also didnt have experts from her own committee of advisors running to the press every day underminding what she was trying to do.
Which is why I qualified my post by saying it will be interesting to see what happens in Aus & NZ in the next few months.

Indeed, Arden has not needed to be undermined (some would say corrected) by the people with the intelligence and experience. Maybe NZ need experts?

Doesn’t sound too different to my usual experiences with the NHS over the last decade. It’s what happens when you chronically underfund a public service for a prolonged period of time.

My 78 year old mother had a chest infection last December. She spent 36 hours on a trolley in a corridor awaiting a bed.
If I can shed some positive light on that situation, the timing of last December was probably better than it happening anytime from this March.

Hope your mum is fully ok?

Which is why I qualified my post by saying it will be interesting to see what happens in Aus & NZ in the next few months.

Indeed, Arden has not needed to be undermined (some would say corrected) by the people with the intelligence and experience. Maybe NZ need experts?

Advisors shouldn’t be coming out to counter everything the PM says (even if you don’t agree with it) the killed the tier plan the same day it was announced.

Lockdown is about minimising the resource required to handle Covid. How hard is that to grasp, you utter fudging plank. No wonder you've steered your company into going bust.

Show me where I've ever said I was willing to kill people off? How dare you accuse me of that, you utter coward.

Whooaa let's calm down a bit. Keep it at least relatively civil.

Dont worry about it, he is not factually correct anyway, just like the other month accusing me of somehow making enough money and not giving a fudge about others.

He is just an angry angry man

Experience from pretty much everywhere outside Australasia is that lockdowns = more lockdowns.

Had we locked down sooner we'd still be living the pathetic excuse for life that lockdown leaves us.

We would be going into another lockdown like those that went into lockdown before us back in March

So how do they get to a worst case scenario to more than half the highest daily death toll in the world?

I don't know but it seems to be based on if we kept things exactly as they are and do nothing more. Maybe most other countries are doing more, or they are also on course for a similar worst case scenario if they don't implement additional measures.

Advisors shouldn’t be coming out to counter everything the PM says (even if you don’t agree with it) the killed the tier plan the same day it was announced.

If the government are saying they are 'following the science', then I can absolutely understand why the scientists might want to come out and say if they are actually advising differently.

More generally, I'm certainly not a fan of another lockdown - but given where we are right now, with cases increasing, hospitalisations rising and in some areas approaching capacity, with doctors saying they fear the NHS being overwhelmed, with other surgeries already having to be postponed due to those increased hospital cases - what is the alternative to a lock-down, right now? Not what the government could have done differently, or should have done differently, but given where we are now, is there an alternative, other than letting things ride, risking the NHS getting over-burdened and not being able to deal with anything else, and letting people die (not all of whom would be otherwise on death's door)?

Really don't want to like that post, doesn't feel right liking a post describing someone's suffering. But yes you are right.
My personal experience of the NHS is exceptional, but I've seen enough from others to know is the exception rather than the norm.

I hope your mum is well now, its scary when they ill.

She’s grand now thanks.

Agreed. If this descends into the brickshow that is some other corners of the internet I’m off. I like it here because it’s civil. Even @scaramanga behaves well most of the time. :D

Not what the government could have done differently, or should have done differently, but given where we are now, is there an alternative, other than letting things ride, risking the NHS getting over-burdened and not being able to deal with anything else, and letting people die (not all of whom would be otherwise on death's door)?

An alternative should be looked at. The idea we just hold our hands up and say that by treating one problem we open ourselves up to a million others is not an answer in my opinion. The medical profession is saying we need a more balanced approach regardless of lockdowns, you cant dedicate the whole of society to the fight of Covid and ignore everyone else just to claim a victory now because we will be walking into a Juggernaut in next year, for me there is no doubt about that.

Back