• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Unless your phone is registered in a fake name or you're on a 3210 pay as you go then the phone companies know exactly where you are 99% of the time, your bank card on contactless for the tube etc will fill in the blanks. Fact is if they really need to it's not hard to identify someones movements, this app just makes it a little easier.

I'm generally protective of my date but doesn't seem that big a deal to me to download it, nothing is shared that I'm not already sharing with other apps that have even less safeguards in place.

This is precisely why I think peoples fear of using this app are a bit tin-pot

if you pay council tax they know where you live

if you pay income tax they know where you work

if you pay vehicle tax they know what car you drive

I'm all for protecting my data, but you can only do so much, on balance I think the track and trace app is a good idea, its a brickshow so far though

its a brickshow so far though

100% brickshow no doubt, I just cant really see the sense anymore of wanting it and then not using it. I have been vocal that I dont think track and trace is as important as being made out so might seem odd with my stance however I just dont understand people making a huge deal that we dont have one and now we do not using it.

Its not going to be perfect from day 1, blame the government fine, but be part of the solution, what do you lose?

People on the gaming thread mention bugs with playstations when they first come out and thats their bread and butter and you pay a fortune for that, so its not that obscure for an app to have teething problems. To act like it is unforgivable is harsh, be harsh on the timelines no problem.

Like I say it seems weird that people want track and trace but dont want whats needed to track or trace....

I have more respect for @scaramanga for his reasoning with things like speeding than just pure hard headedness or conspiracy.

So 2 bits of news today

1. Sage did not recommend curfew

2. They are looking at everyone over 45 shielding

wtf is going on

Late yesterday afternoon at school we received an email from the Department of Education outlining the updates they had made to opportunities for remote learning, and asking us to ensure that our own remote learning systems are robust.

I’d say a two or three week ‘circuit breaker’ is on the way. A week bolted on to either side of half term is what we’re planning for, although it may come earlier.

Late yesterday afternoon at school we received an email from the Department of Education outlining the updates they had made to opportunities for remote learning, and asking us to ensure that our remote learning own systems are robust.

I’d say a two or three week ‘circuit breaker’ is on the way. A week bolted on to either side of half term is what we’re planning for, although it may come earlier.

How many jobs does this Government want to destroy?

This curfew was done to set up the circuit breaker as a way to blame people.

This is precisely why I think peoples fear of using this app are a bit tin-pot
There's a huge difference between the two.

If Google has massive project creep and starts using my data in ways I don't it to, it would take me around 30 minutes to change phone manufacturer.

If the govt has project creep and starts misusing my data, it could be years. Even then we have to hope the halfwits who are inexplicably invited to have a say in who runs this country don't fall for the "oh, but the terrorists" flimflam that always accompanies a reduction in our freedom.

Even then, governments almost never wind back their own powers.

Last edited:

If Google has massive project creep and starts using my data in ways I don't it to, it would take me around 30 minutes to change phone manufacturer.

If the govt has project creep and starts misusing my data, it could be years. Even then we have to hope the halfwits who are inexplicably invited to have a say in who runs this country don't fall for the "oh, but the terrorists" flimflam that always accompanies a reduction in our freedom.

I accept the above unequivocally as a legit concern, I share it. At the same time my desire for test, track and trace to work for obvious reasons has me conflicted. The impending disaster for the economy and to some extent modern life really really concerns me.

Europe is way ahead on protecting people's data. Some say too much so. But presumably, you back recent EU laws that stop personal data being shared with governments? Its currently one of the issues the UK and EU are grappling to reach agreement over.

In July, the Luxembourg court made the transfer of personal data to the US from the EU almost legally impossible due to the intrusive nature of surveillance programmes undertaken by the US intelligence agencies and the lack of redress for EU citizens.

Brussels is expected to seek assurances that the UK will recognise the implications of the ruling on its own treatment of European citizens’ personal information.

Surely the same can be said for government where you turn off locations of change your device?

In an original post you alluded to having to turn location of all on for it to be effective, I know it was in jest but it's right.

So 2 bits of news today

1. Sage did not recommend curfew

2. They are looking at everyone over 45 shielding

wtf is going on

I guess they are really worried. More so than we are.

There is some twitchiness in me that the suffering that is imposed is “money in the bank” for the west to fight against China’s coming dominance, but really for now, I’m swallowing down my tin foil hat stupidity and just keeping on adhering to the advice based on information received.

Let’s not lose our minds, this will pass.

My Mum, in her eighties now, is convinced many will die. I’m not, but it’s a conversation where I sound thoughtless to her concerns. But again, she’s in her eighties, and why should she look at the bigger picture when she believes her world is about to end.

She hears the same things as the rest of us, but interprets them from the far end of the prism.

I guess they are really worried. More so than we are.

There is some twitchiness in me that the suffering that is imposed is “money in the bank” for the west to fight against China’s coming dominance, but really for now, I’m swallowing down my tin foil hat stupidity and just keeping on adhering to the advice based on information received.

Let’s not lose our minds, this will pass.

My Mum, in her eighties now, is convinced many will die. I’m not, but it’s a conversation where I sound thoughtless to her concerns. But again, she’s in her eighties, and why should she look at the bigger picture when she believes her world is about to end.

She hears the same things as the rest of us, but interprets them from the far end of the prism.

that's totally understandable Tbh

I'm the same I see more getting it and less dying, I don't see that as the end of it by any means but I think you can have a mental grasp on living with the virus in society whilst doing all you can to stop spread to those most in the danger zone

Back