• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

WHO claiming it will be over in 2 years

Good luck coming back to anything if this continues till then.

Taken in its full context, the quote seemed to suggest it will be over in 2 years from when it started. The comparison was with the Spanish Flu pandemic which played out over that sort of timescale. He seemed to be suggesting we are better equipped to end a pandemic more quickly now.

Taken in its full context, the quote seemed to suggest it will be over in 2 years from when it started. The comparison was with the Spanish Flu pandemic which played out over that sort of timescale. He seemed to be suggesting we are better equipped to end a pandemic more quickly now.

The major difference would be that due to the modern world this flu has reached every nook and cranny of the planet and with the planets ability to mingle quicker and more freely I think they timescales might be level with the El Spanish Flu or until a cure hits a store near you

I agree with the disease in younger folk hence decrease in deaths and to take warning from US with passing it to the elderly which worries me as I'm sure I heard news care home visits were to be opened?

Those visiting care homes should get tested for all clear

I don’t know the answer to this, but if you have the flu and you don’t know, wouldn’t this potentially cause an issue? What happens in this case?

Difficult when it comes to managing the mental and general physical health of those who live there. Also, you have staff coming and going on a daily basis.

Of course but staff are needed, personal visits are not.

I 100% understand the mental health side, the issue is risk factor, we know the risks are higher to those in carehomes.

My dads got emphysema and the risks are too high, you cant come back from a death sentence

Its tough, not saying its not at all, I just dont see why we can put the highest risk category at more risk

Care homes are privately run on the most part. They can do whatever they need to do without having to be forced. And they will. They are the frontline.

The biggest single mistake the government made was forcing infected patients back into those homes and even then some homes point blank refused.

Of course but staff are needed, personal visits are not.

I 400% understand the mental health side, the issue is risk factor, we know the risks are higher to those in carehomes.

My dads got emphysema and the risks are too high, you cant come back from a death sentence

Its tough, not saying its not at all, I just dont see why we can put the highest risk category at more risk

I think testing before/upon visitation is needed.
But personal visits are needed - even if means extending the pandemic by a few months.
Batten down the hatches isn't an approach that humans can endure for too long and I'm not comfortable destroying the mental health of the elderly and their families whilst sensible visits at a social distance (and with screening) is available. It's a pretty hideous thought frankly.

The issue with spread in care homes also didn't come from visiting - it came from hospitals discharged COVID patients into care homes. Another catastrophe to add to the current Govt score card.

But logic suggests if the elderly are most at risk then you protect them more? The risk isn't extending the virus, its a death sentence.

When it comes to care homes, there is no easy answer. The only way to genuinely make it work re: visits, is to create a bubble. You take a two week window, you go to a hotel near your relative, you get tested, you stay solo/within your group, you go to visit, you get tested again after your visit, you wait a couple of days and then head off. Something along those lines. But there is no easy way. Of course, for many immuno-compromised elderly folk, a bad flu strain is also potentially dangerous. Ultimately though, there can be no short cuts when visiting immuno-compromised family members.

The issue with spread in care homes also didn't come from visiting - it came from hospitals discharged COVID patients into care homes. Another catastrophe to add to the current Govt score card.
Is it worse than keeping them in hospitals where there are young people around?

Back