• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I'm hearing of a lot of young deaths atm, mid 40 and below.
Lot mot suicides than normal as well.

That is awful. I imagine we are going to be feeling the various outcomes of this pandemic for years or even generations. It really is going to be interesting to see how resilient we can be.

I would ask everyone to try and reach out to those we know who may be lonely or vulnerable in any way. Maybe if we do this in a concentric manner we can all do our bit.

I can't remember now but was he the one who said their way was wrong? Scara mentioned him alot about fear?

He’s always wrong when it camels to Major predicting.

He’s now claiming Sweden didn’t use his data that predicted 80k deaths (by the end of May)unless they locked down and 40k if they did.

Why is he so wrong? Why did the government listen to him

I was more thinking of his "great respect" for their "success", some of which may be The Mail's choice of words.

He’s always wrong when it camels to Major predicting.

He’s now claiming Sweden didn’t use his data that predicted 80k deaths (by the end of May)unless they locked down and 40k if they did.

Why is he so wrong? Why did the government listen to him
A computer model that can't provide the same results twice when primed with the same seeds is my guess. Even worse, it acts differently when run on different systems.

I have some sympathy for counting the postal tests in the overall count, presumably when they post them out they also need to allocate lab testing capacity for those tests so the results can be returned. If people don't send them back then there's little they can do about it but the capacity still needs to be there and allocated out to them.

I expect in time they can get an average of the amount returned per day and adjust accordingly knowing a certain percentage won't come back.

I have some sympathy for counting the postal tests in the overall count, presumably when they post them out they also need to allocate lab testing capacity for those tests so the results can be returned. If people don't send them back then there's little they can do about it but the capacity still needs to be there and allocated out to them.

I expect in time they can get an average of the amount returned per day and adjust accordingly knowing a certain percentage won't come back.
Yea it seems pretty reasonable to me, not sure what peoples / the press issue is with it? If they’ve sent out the kits there’s not much more the government can do, they’ve provided that number of tests, if the public don’t use them what can you do?

nothing to do with Tory or Labour, just common sense isn’t it? Unless I’ve really missed something here?

Would it not make more sense to publish the count from the labs, rather than tests that have been dispatched - i.e. how many tests the labs have actually processed? The number of tests sent out can still be used to allocate capacity but it doesn't have to be the count that is published in the testing statistics.

Also (general question) the number of people tested suddenly disappeared from the daily stats recently. Was there ever an explanation for that or has it been re-instated (I haven't been following the briefings/news so much in the past few days). A cynic might think it was an attempt to massage the figures.

Is a test of any value until you get the result?

Do you think they're presented how they are to suggest we're getting that many results every day?

Speaking for myself, that's not an impression I've ever taken from government presentations.

I always assumed a reasonably high proportion of 'wastage' among the home-testing element. Which itself is probably a different discussion.

They don't differentiate between the two though on the slide do they? (I haven't watched the update for weeks tbh.)

Assuming these are the slides from yesterday:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...pany-coronavirus-press-conference-2-june-2020

In the notes it says they count the tests done through their labs at the point of processing, but the others are counted when sent out? Why can't they be counted when they're processed too?

Yea it seems pretty reasonable to me, not sure what peoples / the press issue is with it? If they’ve sent out the kits there’s not much more the government can do, they’ve provided that number of tests, if the public don’t use them what can you do?

nothing to do with Tory or Labour, just common sense isn’t it? Unless I’ve really missed something here?

There’s been reports recently of the postal kits having labelling errors which means the recipients have been unable to receive their results even if they’ve done everything correctly but these still count as completed and as it’s only 1 test per individual they can’t even get another.

Plus the drive-in centres are largely staffed by unskilled people quickly hired by Deloitte and other such sub-contractors who have only received brief training on how to perform the swabbing, which means many tests have to be repeated but we don’t seem to know how many of each daily total are repeats.

They don't differentiate between the two though on the slide do they? (I haven't watched the update for weeks tbh.)

Assuming these are the slides from yesterday:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...pany-coronavirus-press-conference-2-june-2020

In the notes it says they count the tests done through their labs at the point of processing, but the others are counted when sent out? Why can't they be counted when they're processed too?

No I don't think they do, I think they report one headline figure made up of several subsets of test variety.

As a casual observer I was aware that this figure included home testing kits sent out, and so in turn was able to deduce that the headline figure would not be a true reflection of actual test results.

I agree that one might slightly raise their eyebrows at counting test kits mailed out in this manner but if the government's intention was to mislead then, as I've hinted at above - must try harder.

Back