• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I saw it as people suggesting in part that those on furlough are cruising along and relaxing on the scheme rather than having a driver to go back to work and are also in the main living their best life and heading out loads.

If thats wrong then I am wrong
Just thought youre post to parklane81 read as a comment about people ignoring the rules and now doing as they please?

But i think you clarified above:)

Stopping those protests is no more right than 3 months of imprisonment for becoming ill.
Sorry I think I got the wrong end of the stick with your original post. I share your concerns about track and trace and the trojan horse it opens up.
@Legohamster, it’s stuff like the following which will have much more effect on the death rate than lockdown. Especially if it occurs over several days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52754039
I haven't been to any beaches since the lockdown so shoot me down if you know otherwise (and if you do, how come? :rolleyes:) but I'm wondering if it was really quite as bad at beach resorts as it's being made out? We all know how photos can give a different impression from the reality due to foreshortening and newspaper editors will obviously select the most damning photos that make it look as bad as possible. But I note that one photo taken from the air in that article showed a crowded car park but people spaced out very well on the beach.

For sure some are disregarding the two metre rule so it's still a concern, but even outside the lockdown most people generally guard their personal space very jealously, preferring to maintain a distance of around two metres quite naturally from other groups.

I work for a large insurance company in the City

We've been told it will be a really small phased back to work from July (25%) of workforce, 50% back by September and not 100% until we have implemented a vaccine or had antibody testing, etc

Only 2 people in a lift at a time, with waiting times of 30 - 45 minutes too, that will really put people off massively

I can't even work in our local office as there will be 100 people tops until we get back to a new norm

Working from home it is for the future then, wowzers

My company has been fantastic throughout this whole pandemic though

I was more referring to the furlough scheme itself than it's potential side effects. I was surprised by a) the degree of it's original generosity, and b) the extension over the summer. With fears of a second (winter) wave, was end-October really a sensible time to pencil in it's end? I would've thought a marked tapering over the summer months would have been the way to go for a number of reasons, and my concern is that the longer you allow so-called emergency, 'temporary' measures to stay in place, the more difficult they become to ultimately unwind.

Sorry pal, I read it wrong then my bad.

I think companies are definitely leaning on the scheme either more than they need to or to clear the conscious. Its been admitted in some quarters that some companies that were close to folding before CV19 used the furlough scheme to stay a float and pay their staff so they have a clear conscious and have no intention of returning after.

I think companies are definitely leaning on the scheme either more than they need to or to clear the conscious. Its been admitted in some quarters that some companies that were close to folding before CV19 used the furlough scheme to stay a float and pay their staff so they have a clear conscious and have no intention of returning after.

Anecdotal of course, but I've heard first hand accounts of fraud being committed (people being 'furloughed', but surreptitiously continuing to work).

Is that your analysis or have you got anything to back that up? There are numerous reasons that the numbers are high it is multi layered, lack of test and trace, lack of PPE, taking too long to determine qualitative signs such as loss of taste and smell, overcrowding in London, but overall the lockdown has saved lives. It’s contribution to direct covid deaths will be minimal.

Where I do agree is that we need to slowly come out of this mess. But wishing it to happen is not the way to go. You have to put in the right measures. I just don’t see that happening fast enough. Also local public health professionals who could make a real difference are being side stepped by central government.
Is that your analysis or have you got anything to back that up? There are numerous reasons that the numbers are high it is multi layered, lack of test and trace, lack of PPE, taking too long to determine qualitative signs such as loss of taste and smell, overcrowding in London, but overall the lockdown has saved lives. It’s contribution to direct covid deaths will be minimal.

Where I do agree is that we need to slowly come out of this mess. But wishing it to happen is not the way to go. You have to put in the right measures. I just don’t see that happening fast enough. Also local public health professionals who could make a real difference are being side stepped by central government.

All the data we have indicates it’s the older/ill that are suffering most - plus the R number is all tied up to care homes so we don’t have an accurate picture

The care homes is a scandal - our numbers would look so much better if we shielded those

Plus would give us a better picture of the rest of the country

I’m getting more wound up by this than I should lol

Sky news just interviewed people in a packed park it went along these lines

Are you happy to send your kids back

O no, it’s not safe too many people and too crowded

You are sitting in a middle of a park rammed with complete strangers!!!!!!

If you are as scared as you make out go home.

I’m getting more wound up by this than I should lol

Sky news just interviewed people in a packed park it went along these lines

Are you happy to send your kids back

O no, it’s not safe too many people and too crowded

You are sitting in a middle of a park rammed with complete strangers!!!!!!

If you are as scared as you make out go home.

So true!
It's a bit like collecting your food parcel in you new Merc :D

My other half has been made redundant

The company in question has put her on furlough/gardening leave for 3 months to cover her notice period

She’s completely free to get another job in that time and get 2 wages followed by her pay out at the end of the 3 months

Surely this shouldn’t be allowed?!?

Been a while since the woke generation had something to say

When Alex Hanrooster put a rainbow flag in his window, he was subjected to homophobic abuse and a death threat.

Ten months on, his street - and much of the country - is covered in rainbows, to represent support for the NHS.

But Alex, 32, and other lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, are now worried about losing an important emblem of LGBT identity and support.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52724818

My other half has been made redundant

The company in question has put her on furlough/gardening leave for 3 months to cover her notice period

She’s completely free to get another job in that time and get 2 wages followed by her pay out at the end of the 3 months

Surely this shouldn’t be allowed?!?

problem is that if you don't allow it, anyone with bills of more than £2500 a month is fudged

problem is that if you don't allow it, anyone with bills of more than £2500 a month is fudged
It is allowed.

It was made clear to me from an employment lawyer that people are free to take other jobs whilst on furlough. But they have to return when you tell them to.

I might be misinterpreting, but isn't his point more that the furlough scheme was designed/intended to prevent redundancies?

Using it to cover notice period costs, then making someone redundant anyway doesn't seem entirely inkeeping with the spirit of that.

Last edited:
After seeing what our eldest kids primary school are doing in terms of measures we're happy for the 11 year old to go back from June 1st
She will be in her bubble of 10 from the playground right throughout the 2.5 hours she is going to be taught for, it's 3 days a week too
Also kids of key workers will be taught totally independent too
She leaves to go to secondary school soon and even seeing her friends from possibly afar for a few weeks before the summer break will help her mental health massively, especially as she is going to a different school to the large majority of her friends
We're happy that she will observe social distancing as will her friends

Our youngest though is at nursery, she is in her last few months before starting primary school but we won't be sending her back to nursery straight away
It's a small nursery and she is in a class of up to 40 kids across 2 big rooms and a garden, the nursery have said they will limit that class to a maximum of 30
That's too many for us as no way will 4 year olds have a clue about social distancing
We will possibly try to get her back before she leaves in August for a few sessions so that she can have some social interaction with other kids as we feel the 6 month gap between lockdown starting and her starting school in September is too much

But it's been a tough set of decisions for us as a family

Precisely the same for us, I will want to see more details about how they plan it. I'm sure it will be safe but 11yo will return when the school opens.

With my year 1 child I'm not so sure.

Anecdotal of course, but I've heard first hand accounts of fraud being committed (people being 'furloughed', but surreptitiously continuing to work).
All anecdotal but i have had a few conversations with people about universal credit, bounce back loans, furlough scheme etc where they have either recieved too much or application successful when it shouldn't of been etc.

Makes me wonder whether behind the scenes they haven't the resources and are snowed under and/or there is just an instruction from high up....just to 'dish it out pronto'?

Edit: another example was Chich's bus driver mate

All anecdotal but i have had a few conversations with people about universal credit, bounce back loans, furlough scheme etc where they have either recieved too much or application successful when it shouldn't of been etc.

Makes me wonder whether behind the scenes they haven't the resources and are snowed under and/or there is just an instruction from high up....just to 'dish it out pronto'?

Edit: another example was Chich's bus driver mate

They probably don't have the resources and thats not on them, its a bolt from nowhere but the issue is, they could wait and look at finances and see which companies could self sooth and those that can't and decide and become more thorough in their process but then people were crying ou that waiting 2 weeks was 2 weeks too long etc, so they can't win.

Back