• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I might be misinterpreting, but isn't his point more that the furlough scheme was designed/intended to prevent redundancies?

Using it to cover notice period costs, then making someone redundant anyway doesn't seem entirely inkeeping with the spirit of that.

This is correct - poorly worded by me

shes been made redundant and they are using it to pay of her notice period - she has no job in 3 months - well he will - but shes going to have 2 for 3 !

I might be misinterpreting, but isn't his point more that the furlough scheme was designed/intended to prevent redundancies?

Using it to cover notice period costs, then making someone redundant anyway doesn't seem entirely inkeeping with the spirit of that.

I read it as two wages being wrong.

True, but world doesn’t turn on good intentions.

This is correct - poorly worded by me

shes been made redundant and they are using it to pay of her notice period - she has no job in 3 months - well he will - but shes going to have 2 for 3 !

Why don’t they just keep her on furlough til the end of the scheme then?

So 14 day "quarantine" (aka self isolation) confirmed for those coming in from overseas But only starting 8 June.
Random checks. Police will "encourage" people to follow the rules. Fines as a last resort (by which time the 14 day period will probably be over).
Doesn't sound much like quarantine.

So 14 day "quarantine" (aka self isolation) confirmed for those coming in from overseas But only starting 8 June.
Random checks. Police will "encourage" people to follow the rules. Fines as a last resort (by which time the 14 day period will probably be over).

June the 8th? The stable door shut after the Horse has died of old age?
It should have been Feb the 1st!

It’s enough to screw over tourism in the UK

It’s a populist policy, whilst the rest of the Europe is opening up we are closing down

“Britain is open” hahaha

It’s enough to screw over tourism in the UK

It’s a populist policy, whilst the rest of the Europe is opening up we are closing down

“Britain is open” hahaha

We missed the boat on lockdowns coming in I think we Should move forward without quarantine but if testing works only negative cases allowed to travel in and from.

That relies on everyone playing their part and testing being full proof which might be the issue but alas it’s the only way forward in my view.

14 day quarantine kills global tourism, it’s a shame

We missed the boat on lockdowns coming in I think we Should move forward without quarantine but if testing works only negative cases allowed to travel in and from.

That relies on everyone playing their part and testing being full proof which might be the issue but alas it’s the only way forward in my view.

This was brought up in the briefing today. If I heard him correctly, I think Vallance said that the issue with this is that people can test negative during the incubation period. I think a period of about 5 days after infection was mentioned, but I wasn't paying full attention.

This was bought up in the briefing today. If I heard him correctly, I think Vallance said that the issue with this is that people can test negative during the incubation period. I think a period of about 5 days after infection was mentioned, but I wasn't paying full attention.

Make an effort!

This was bought up in the briefing today. If I heard him correctly, I think Vallance said that the issue with this is that people can test negative during the incubation period. I think a period of about 5 days after infection was mentioned, but I wasn't paying full attention.

He definitely said the first few days. Can't recall if he put a number on it. Too busy planning my trip to the nursery tomorrow, which I am sure will be packed.

He definitely said the first few days. Can't recall if he put a number on it. Too busy planning my trip to the nursery tomorrow, which I am sure will be packed.

Not to confuse two conversations that was why I questioned the benefit of testing the other day.

Anyway if testing can be proven full proof then we should open the borders but with a global agreement that inbound and outbound need to provide a negative test. Or you wait another 6 months and the whole global travel industry dies on its backside. For some travel is their key income, I think it ranks pretty high in the UK.

Leaving aside the impact on the airline and travel industries for a moment (and I am not being dismissive of that at all, btw, it will have a disastrous impact) but it's just another half-baked policy that can't really be implemented and relies on people abiding by the rules, because 'the population has done brilliantly so far'.
I wonder how much time our police forces will have to send an officer around to a house to check? And if the recent traveller is not there, how do you prove it? I mean they could just say they were sleeping and didn't hear. It's only a warning anyway to start off with - sorry, it's "encouragement" to do the right thing.
Michael O'Leary (and I can't believe I am quoting him) has just been saying how it's 'bonkers' when you can arrive at Heathrow, and travel on the tube (and presumably other modes of transport across the whole country) before you get to the place in which you are going to self-isolate.
Given that the travel industry is going to be massively hit by this, at least make the policy tough enough to actually work, otherwise the government is adding another nail to the tourism coffin for possibly negligible gain.

Leaving aside the impact on the airline and travel industries for a moment (and I am not being dismissive of that at all, btw, it will have a disastrous impact) but it's just another half-baked policy that can't really be implemented and relies on people abiding by the rules, because 'the population has done brilliantly so far'.
I wonder how much time our police forces will have to send an officer around to a house to check? And if the recent traveller is not there, how do you prove it? I mean they could just say they were sleeping and didn't hear. It's only a warning anyway to start off with - sorry, it's "encouragement" to do the right thing.
Michael O'Leary (and I can't believe I am quoting him) has just been saying how it's 'bonkers' when you can arrive at Heathrow, and travel on the tube (and presumably other modes of transport across the whole country) before you get to the place in which you are going to self-isolate.
Given that the travel industry is going to be massively hit by this, at least make the policy tough enough to actually work, otherwise the government is adding another nail to the tourism coffin for possibly negligible gain.

Agree with your sceptism on this.

I work in a university and heard some concerning things very early on, including one story about an obviously symptomatic, recently returned Chinese student who blatantly refused to self-isolate even when challenged to do so, and with 'guidance' being in place that suggested they should do so. Now, this was obviously very early on in the piece but the conduct of certain of my neighbours, and a significant segment of the wider population in the time since hasn't given me much reason to feel any more secure about such essentially voluntary measures.

Last edited:

Let’s assume it goes ahead (I’m still 50/50 it does)

The gov have 3 choices in my view

1. Do the 3 weeks, tick that box and move on

2. Support the travel/hospitality industry which will cost Billions - plus potential know on to Brexit deals.

3. Job losses of 200k plus - then the money to support them on benefits.

The police don’t have the numbers to do this, boarder force don’t and as you say its full of loop holes - asleep/travel needed back from airports/need to get food/house share/transport workers etc etc - it’s almost designed to fail.

I’ve found myself agreeing with people I never did before this - MOL/David Davis/JRM to name a few.

Back