• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I don’t tend to have a voting pattern, I think I’ve voted for all 3 parties at some
Point so I’m not really bias towards any of them and certainly not a Tory die hard.

However Labour and KS have backed a large amount of the Govs work, asking relevant questions and probing well - that to me shows that currently the Gov are doing OK

The media need to feck off, literally trying to make sure everyone is too scared to go out again
It also shows the KS isn’t trying to derail things currently unlike the press
Doesn’t men’s he won’t try to have his day but he is being sensible

Can't imagine the German system is anything like as inefficient. I don't know if it is the same setup. How does it work?
Insurance based private model.

Difference is that Germany has something very similar to Obamacare - you have to have insurance taken at source IIRC and those who don't earn enough have it provided by the state. Many top up more and get more in return.

One of the best aspects of an insurance based private model is that they can focus on long term savings and spend more on preventative measures. They're responsible to economically literate investors who can understand the value of doing so, rather than an electorate that can only understand "nurses is good so make nurse pay big."

They can also increase the cost of premiums for people who are unable to comprehend the simplistic calories in/out model, etc.

German spend per capita is higher than here, but the burden is a lot less than being taxed out of the arse by the NHS and then having to pay for private healthcare on top just to be treated like a human being when you need it.

Insurance based private model.

Difference is that Germany has something very similar to Obamacare - you have to have insurance taken at source IIRC and those who don't earn enough have it provided by the state. Many top up more and get more in return.

One of the best aspects of an insurance based private model is that they can focus on long term savings and spend more on preventative measures. They're responsible to economically literate investors who can understand the value of doing so, rather than an electorate that can only understand "nurses is good so make nurse pay big."

They can also increase the cost of premiums for people who are unable to comprehend the simplistic calories in/out model, etc.

German spend per capita is higher than here, but the burden is a lot less than being taxed out of the arse by the NHS and then having to pay for private healthcare on top just to be treated like a human being when you need it.

Interesting. Though Germany's spend is more than here. In the US there are all sorts of problems with this model. It's highly inefficient, with mega-rich shiney hospitals for those that can afford it, and struggling hospitals for those that can't. The government have to subsidise private health care companies to keep them afloat, and there isn't cover in rural areas. All the tracking and charging of health care so insurance companies can pay-out is ultimately wasteful. In a perfect system, you would not waste resources on this extra layer. It is inefficient. We don't have that extra layer of cost burden, with people tracking and billing hours, nor an insurance company skimming profit. We (or the NHS) also has better economies of scale, and can control wage, drug and other costs with a de facto monopoly.

The question is, how/can you bring free-market principles into health care? The premise that doing something well, better than others, earns you more, is a highly effective way to improve quality. I don't think you automatically have to decentralise and privatise to achieve that. I just think governments have not been good at changing the cultures of public bodies to act with greater emphasis on performance and reward. Moreover, in the health care setting, how do you measure performance whether private or state-run? The potential for private enterprise to manipulate data to sell things is limitless. For things like health or food safety, pure free markets without intervention, are probably not a good thing.

China has refused repeated requests by the World Health Organisation to take part in investigations into the origins of COVID-19, the WHO representative in China has told Sky News

So the media have spent the last few days ramming the 100k testing target down our throats, working themselves into a frenzy and sharpening their sticks in readiness for the government's failure...

Now it suddenly looks as if they might hit the target or at least get very close, the media's tone has changed markedly. All of a sudden, the target was never anything more than a distraction, a poor substitute for a strategy on the government's part etc. etc. etc.

Absolutely pathetic.

Interesting. Though Germany's spend is more than here. In the US there are all sorts of problems with this model. It's highly inefficient, with mega-rich shiney hospitals for those that can afford it, and struggling hospitals for those that can't. The government have to subsidise private health care companies to keep them afloat, and there isn't cover in rural areas. All the tracking and charging of health care so insurance companies can pay-out is ultimately wasteful. In a perfect system, you would not waste resources on this extra layer. It is inefficient. We don't have that extra layer of cost burden, with people tracking and billing hours, nor an insurance company skimming profit. We (or the NHS) also has better economies of scale, and can control wage, drug and other costs with a de facto monopoly.

The question is, how/can you bring free-market principles into health care? The premise that doing something well, better than others, earns you more, is a highly effective way to improve quality. I don't think you automatically have to decentralise and privatise to achieve that. I just think governments have not been good at changing the cultures of public bodies to act with greater emphasis on performance and reward. Moreover, in the health care setting, how do you measure performance whether private or state-run? The potential for private enterprise to manipulate data to sell things is limitless. For things like health or food safety, pure free markets without intervention, are probably not a good thing.

Very good thinking and it is why i liked Corbyn.

That shifty incompetent clam Johnson reaching for excuses already, "oh Britain wasn't ready for a radical lock down, oh we acted faster than other European nations." He knows...he knows. A very nervy performance form him and I think he is a poor media performer anyway. He has blood on his hands and that other clam Dominic Cummings too.

So the media have spent the last few days ramming the 100k testing target down our throats, working themselves into a frenzy and sharpening their sticks in readiness for the government's failure...

Now it suddenly looks as if they might hit the target or at least get very close, the media's tone has changed markedly. All of a sudden, the target was never anything more than a distraction, a poor substitute for a strategy on the government's part etc. etc. etc.

Absolutely pathetic.

1. The government won’t hit the target but we knew that already. They are just trying to present a good picture.

2. Testing is what allows us to exit lockdown. Track the virus and reduce deaths, and take control of the pandemic in this country. The media are therefore focusing on it.

3. The government have been slow to focus on testing. Finally, months after the most successful nations, the UK is testing on a larger scale. It’s late but it is welcome. Therefore the media should be supportive shouldn’t they?

I get the media is crap. I don’t watch the news it’s dull and repetitive, but the whole narrative about ‘they’ve got it in for the government’ and should just suck up to them, because I support them, I personally don’t follow.

I recommend binning general news - does it add anything of value? - and watch something like Newsnight which is a cut above, not sensationalist and focused on insight.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
I get the media is crap. I don’t watch the news it’s dull and repetitive, but the whole narrative about ‘they’ve got it in for the government’ and should just suck up to them, because I support them, I personally don’t follow.

I recommend binning general news - does it add anything of value? - and watch something like Newsnight which is a cut above, not sensationalist and focused on insight.

Repeat

...I won't be responding to any more of your misrepresentations of my posts.

Not getting any better, are you?

Last edited:
1. The government won’t hit the target but we knew that already. They are just trying to present a good picture.

2. Testing is what allows us to exit lockdown. Track the virus and reduce deaths, and take control of the pandemic in this country. The media are therefore focusing on it.

3. The government have been slow to focus on testing. Finally, months after the most successful nations, the UK is testing on a larger scale. It’s late but it is welcome. Therefore the media should be supportive shouldn’t they?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Don’t have to support it - but the media trying to fire “gotcha” questions at them is tedious as is the scaremongering.

Plenty of time for investigation after, where the process will he looked at.

They clearly haven’t been perfect - but now is not the time.

Looks like Brazil could be in major trouble, 7K+ cases yesterday and 435 deaths coupled with a poor health system and total nutter in charge.

Don’t have to support it - but the media trying to fire “gotcha” questions at them is tedious as is the scaremongering.

Plenty of time for investigation after, where the process will he looked at.

They clearly haven’t been perfect - but now is not the time.

Maybe right. I find it tiresome, so don't watch. But what else are the media supposed to do? They have a role to ask the important questions not suck up to politicians. If they can shine a light on things that need addressing, they can provide a useful service to create some pressure for the government to improve. Without Parliament functioning properly it is important someone critiques government directly. What would you recommend the media did instead?

When this started the media turned into a death cult, I was critical too. But they are there to report on what is happening. Thank goodness for the Captain, at least a different kind of story.

How much of the frustration is the media acting differently and how much is people just watching it a lot more?

Reactions: DTA

Absolutely pathetic.

Could not agree more, sad to say that even at this time of dread there are still some who are agenda driven.

Could not agree more, sad to say that even at this time of dread there are still some who are agenda driven.

I find this ‘let’s all stick our heads in the sand’ approach baffling, to be honest.

It’s patently obvious now that the government made huge mistakes - the only reason they are not admitting it (as Macron had the balls and honesty to do in France) is they know a public inquiry is coming and they know that that saying sorry means accepting some liability.

So why shouldn’t the media therefore ask questions? If Boris thinks 40,000 deaths and rising is “success” I’d hate to know what he thinks failure is. I’m glad the media is putting them under pressure to up their game (just as I would be if Labour or the Lib Dem’s had fudged up to the same level).

That shifty incompetent clam Johnson reaching for excuses already, "oh Britain wasn't ready for a radical lock down, oh we acted faster than other European nations." He knows...he knows. A very nervy performance form him and I think he is a poor media performer anyway. He has blood on his hands and that other clam Dominic Cummings too.

I think Starmer will slowly but surely expose him for what he is - a not very bright bluffer.

I have to say that the testing is farcical from what I’ve seen first hand and see daily at work
We have a constant email chain at work requesting people get tested ASAP (government dept.) to a Point that I know of some of my team who have very slight symptoms of at all who are being told to get tested .... to increase test numbers

and I know of at least 3 people who have even tested who clearly had Corona and were found to be negative

it’s just about numbers, numbers and numbers to tick boxes

but the whole narrative about ‘they’ve got it in for the government’ and should just suck up to them, because I support them, I personally don’t follow.

Think most are just saying the press are just sh.it at their job, plain and simple.

They work on such a low level. Agree there are good programmes/writers out there but even they get outblasted by the noisy stuff, and if you're not prepared to scratch beneath the surface they're not on many peoples detuned radar.

Back