• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I find this ‘let’s all stick our heads in the sand’ approach baffling, to be honest.

It’s patently obvious now that the government made huge mistakes - the only reason they are not admitting it (as Macron had the balls and honesty to do in France) is they know a public inquiry is coming and they know that that saying sorry means accepting some liability.

So why shouldn’t the media therefore ask questions? If Boris thinks 40,000 deaths and rising is “success” I’d hate to know what he thinks failure is. I’m glad the media is putting them under pressure to up their game (just as I would be if Labour or the Lib Dem’s had fudged up to the same level).

I dont think the government have made huge mistakes. I think they have made mistakes and the are things we can and will do better next time. Got to say it seems to me people with health conditions that are dying. If someone with Parkinson's like me can recover then it tells you how unfit some in this country really are.

Lots to do going forward but i think the money they backed in the economy and the fact that all countries have had issues with protective equipment means i think we have done quite well all things considered.

I find it quite distasteful the political point scoring and im not a supporter of this government. As for them not admitting to being slow on stuff and apologising like Macron has. Have you missed out on the last 20 years of political life in this country, it started with blair and the Iraq war, you never admit your wrong about anything, ever.

I find this ‘let’s all stick our heads in the sand’ approach baffling, to be honest.

It’s patently obvious now that the government made huge mistakes - the only reason they are not admitting it (as Macron had the balls and honesty to do in France) is they know a public inquiry is coming and they know that that saying sorry means accepting some liability.

So why shouldn’t the media therefore ask questions? If Boris thinks 40,000 deaths and rising is “success” I’d hate to know what he thinks failure is. I’m glad the media is putting them under pressure to up their game (just as I would be if Labour or the Lib Dem’s had fudged up to the same level).

No ones sticking the head in the sand at all.

40k deaths is not ok, nor his claim that he saved 500k

Nor the road map (no time)

But the media are making stats up to make things worse.

The new buzz phrase is “indirect death by corona”

I went for a run whilst I’m Furloughed, if I slip and fell that’s a death indirectly caused by corona. It’s rubbish and helps no one

The press would be great to holding the government to account if they:

1 - Reported accurately
2 - Had any credibility

They never do the first and they have little of the second.

1. The government won’t hit the target but we knew that already. They are just trying to present a good picture.

2. Testing is what allows us to exit lockdown. Track the virus and reduce deaths, and take control of the pandemic in this country. The media are therefore focusing on it.

3. The government have been slow to focus on testing. Finally, months after the most successful nations, the UK is testing on a larger scale. It’s late but it is welcome. Therefore the media should be supportive shouldn’t they?

I get the media is crap. I don’t watch the news it’s dull and repetitive, but the whole narrative about ‘they’ve got it in for the government’ and should just suck up to them, because I support them, I personally don’t follow.

I recommend binning general news - does it add anything of value? - and watch something like Newsnight which is a cut above, not sensationalist and focused on insight.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
So they did meet the goal?

The narrative that the media is “just doing their job” by asking stupid, argumentative, deliberately tricky, repetitive questions, just because I don’t support the government, is something I don’t follow.

So they did meet the goal?

The narrative that the media is “just doing their job” by asking stupid, argumentative, deliberately tricky, repetitive questions, just because I don’t support the government, is something I don’t follow.

Technically no. But they have done a fantastic job getting up to speed now with mass testing.

Without pressure would this government have pulled out all the stops to accelerate testing?

It was over a month behind where other nations have been with testing. Would we have saved lives if we’d tested care workers weeks earlier? Probably yes.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: DTA
Does it matter?
It just an arbitrary number that is red herring!
The main thing is they are doing their best........fingers crossed!
It’s seemed to matter to the press asking questions for a month now and spur me up said they hadn’t met it. I was just asking.

It’s seemed to matter to the press asking questions for a month now and spur me up said they hadn’t met it. I was just asking.

its fluff and irrelevant! It’s a distraction put out by a ‘Dominic Cummings’ and look it worked!:)

More looking forward to seeing how this app helps!

And this is why people are suspicious of government pronouncements.
Matt Hanrooster proudly announces that 122k tests have been carried out.
A journalist asks a more precise question, Hanrooster passes the question over, and it transpires the number is somewhat less clear as it includes 40k that have been put in the post but not necessarily carried out.

I am not down playing the huge effort involved in getting to this stage of testing, and the achievement it represents, but just answer the question properly : 70k+ are known to have been carried out and 40k home test kits have been deployed and testing will be underway. Those are good numbers. Drop the smoke and mirrors.

Trump would love you

Its also true

There is a clear history of the press lying in this country and the fact you have clear Tory papers and clear Labour papers shows there is also a reporting bias on either side.

So yes it is the press job to hold the government accountable but they don't do it that well and they are sometimes never held accountable for the lies the print.

The news media and the government are entwined in a vicious circle of mutual manipulation, mythmaking, and self-interest. Journalists need crises to dramatize news, and government officials need to appear to be responding to crises. Too often, the crises are not really crises but joint fabrications. The two institutions have become so ensnared in a symbiotic web of lies that the news media are unable to tell the public what is true and the government is unable to govern effectively.

And this is why people are suspicious of government pronouncements.
Matt Hanrooster proudly announces that 122k tests have been carried out.
A journalist asks a more precise question, Hanrooster passes the question over, and it transpires the number is somewhat less clear as it includes 40k that have been put in the post but not necessarily carried out.

I am not down playing the huge effort involved in getting to this stage of testing, and the achievement it represents, but just answer the question properly : 70k+ are known to have been carried out and 40k home test kits have been deployed and testing will be underway. Those are good numbers. Drop the smoke and mirrors.

So yes it is the press job to hold the government accountable but they don't do it that well and they are sometimes never held accountable for the lies the print.

That’s why we have to give our brains a rare gym workout by simply thinking!

The Press and government’s are equally culpable of telling Porky's on a biblical scale!

Back