• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

What did we make of the speech

Sounded like Boris realises unless the government offersMore support to business the country is screwed.

Sounded like Boris realises unless the government offersMore support to business the country is screwed.

Thats the trade off with the lockdown unfortunately, a huge percentage of business is at zero profit, thats going to kill many companies.

I am sure they will help, they have done so to many so far. I do agree with the idea that companies that can support themselves i.e owners putting up guarantees they should where they can

Whichever way you break it down, testing is the only solution prior to a vaccine. If you stabilise with a lockdown, when you open up you have to have the means to measure and isolate the spread. It will give people confidence that we are in control of this (even if we aren't fully). It will allow us to open borders and the economy while tracking and controlling things, even if it is an imperfect form of control.

A point that is entirely academic in our case of course, when meaningful restrictions don't ever seem to have been introduced at the borders.

Another piece on the bbc this morning crediting very strict border measures with a significant role in New Zealand's success, though.

A point that is entirely academic in our case of course, when meaningful restrictions don't ever seem to have been introduced at the borders.

Another piece on the bbc this morning crediting very strict border measures with a significant role in New Zealand's success, though.
But didn’t they just stop anyone entering the country which is quite simple...

Thats the trade off with the lockdown unfortunately, a huge percentage of business is at zero profit, thats going to kill many companies.

I am sure they will help, they have done so to many so far. I do agree with the idea that companies that can support themselves i.e owners putting up guarantees they should where they can
Worse than that. I'm sure we could all live with 0 profit until this is over. It's 0 turnover that's killing businesses.

I think it's exactly like he says it is. Just hold out to make sure phase 1 is complete as if we move to phase 2 too soon...we will re-spike and have to basically return to the start of phase 1...with the accompanying deaths and undoubted collapse (partial or worse) of the economy.

I wish the media would stop banging on about it, it's been at least a fortnight since they repeatedly ask the question. This is seriously difficult to calculate and be sure about and all they're wanting to do is lay traps.

Though I agree completely with you. I am afraid I have had to report your comments, not just to the admin on this board but more importantly the bbc and the guardian. Strict border controls go against everything it means to be British, you must know that by now.

:p

I think it's exactly like he says it is. Just hold out to make sure phase 1 is complete as if we move to phase 2 too soon...we will re-spike and have to basically return to the start of phase 1...with the accompanying deaths and undoubted collapse (partial or worse) of the economy.

I wish the media would stop banging on about it, it's been at least a fortnight since they repeatedly ask the question. This is seriously difficult to calculate and be sure about and all they're wanting to do is lay traps.

I did not vote for the man and despite being on the same side on the EU(if he even believes what he says about that) i would not vote for the man. But it is so clear the new labour leader and the Scottish dwarf are trying to lay traps by getting him and the government to come out early and say what there going to do.

Like them or not they are the government for the time being, if you force pressure on them to react differently because of stirring up a frenzy in the press then your part of the problem, but the BBC has been part of the problem in this country for years.

Probably because we're the ones with high rates of infection, we'd welcome the healthy people :)

The problem is Scotland/Wales have announce theirs and countries like SA - who are not the most organised are rolling out plans.

I think most people want a guide - dates not needed

Businesses need it, it’s all well and good saying “hold on a little longer” but some business need more.

Pubs/restaurants need to work out what it will all look like and if it’s worth doing.

Is it the timing of the virus, or the government's preparedness that we are waiting on? Probably a bit of both. We're probably not setup fully for testing and tracking yet. The app isn't ready etc.

A proven principle in these instances is to give people some certainty as soon as possible. If we have a date or a road map it reduces individuals' stress and allows people to focus and prepare. The media shouldn't ask whether there are lock-down exit plans? It is not something people are interested in?

I did not vote for the man and despite being on the same side on the EU(if he even believes what he says about that) i would not vote for the man. But it is so clear the new labour leader and the Scottish dwarf are trying to lay traps by getting him and the government to come out early and say what there going to do.

Like them or not they are the government for the time being, if you force pressure on them to react differently because of stirring up a frenzy in the press then your part of the problem, but the BBC has been part of the problem in this country for years.

Going back a few weeks, I was actually quite impressed by Labour's reaction to all of this - I think I even heard Starmer say words to the effect of, we aren't going to oppose for the sake of opposing. And they didn't, for a while, which represented a very marked change to their usual behaviour.

But they're clearly reverting to type at this point, perhaps led in that direction by the media who have been 'opposing for the sake of opposing' in the most transparent way for weeks now.

I have no issue whatsoever with anybody arguing for their true convictions. But what I absolutely cannot abide is simply taking the opposite stance for the sheer sake of it. Or as has been said, to lay traps.

Not exactly - they enforced strict quarantine for arrivals is the way I interpreted it. I think Taiwan did similar - another country being held up as a generally successful model.

This is the last thing anyone with a flight/holiday booked wants

- I can’t spend 14 days in quarantine when I return, can I cancel.

Airline - sure - it’s 100 percent loss

- why? It’s unfair

Airline - flights going, it’s your choice not to travel, not ours.

Going back a few weeks, I was actually quite impressed by Labour's reaction to all of this - I think I even heard Starmer say words to the effect of, we aren't going to oppose for the sake of opposing. And they didn't, for a while, which represented a very marked change to their usual behaviour.

But they're clearly reverting to type at this point, perhaps led in that direction by the media who have been 'opposing for the sake of opposing' in the most transparent way for weeks now.

I have no issue whatsoever with anybody arguing for their true convictions. But what I absolutely cannot abide is simply taking the opposite stance for the sheer sake of it. Or as has been said, to lay traps.

Talking politics I would be amazed if Brexit happens now or if Johnson even stays on to fight the next election.

We will as a country have to put up with Blair/Cameron hybrids for years to come.

The thing is there is an awful lot to criticise about the government's handling of this pandemic. Opposition has the benefit of critiquing and pushing a government to improve. If the press towed the government line, and the opposition didn't say anything...we may as well be living in China.

I am always shocked by those who don't want people to hold government to account. Like they would prefer living under a totalitarian regime?

Talking politics I would be amazed if Brexit happens now or if Johnson even stays on to fight the next election.

We will as a country have to put up with Blair/Cameron hybrids for years to come.

Despite not seeing any value in leaving the EU, I actually sympathise. Brexit has an air of revolution. Of changing things (that it does none of these things is another point). It offered some freshness. I hope we get a government that can provide that sharp shift in the way politics is delivered and offer some revolutionary policies for the UK. Ironically, if this government didn't have Brexit to contend with I think they could shake things up. Cummings and Johnson have relatively fresh ideas, but not sure they have the ability to deliver much. And what we have right now in the government are ministers who don't have a lot of experience. Most are there because they are pro-Brexit rather than being particularly good at their job.

Despite not seeing any value in leaving the EU, I actually sympathise. Brexit has an air of revolution. Of changing things (that it does none of these things is another point). It offered some freshness. I hope we get a government that can provide that sharp shift in the way politics is delivered and offer some revolutionary policies for the UK. Ironically, if this government didn't have Brexit to contend with I think they could shake things up. Cummings and Johnson have relatively fresh ideas, but not sure they have the ability to deliver much. And what we have right now in the government are ministers who don't have a lot of experience. Most are there because they are pro-Brexit rather than being particularly good at their job.

I think the future isin green economy and medical research. Have been saying that about medical research since before i was diagnosed.

I like the idea of the country becoming more self sustainable. Brexit for me was about a country having complete control over all its decisions right or wrong.

Not having a pop at the EU now but will be very interesting to see if they ever get an agreement on how to move forward after all this. Is another reason to keep our distance and just trade with them.

More interesting for me will be to see figures for general hospital admissions after all this. There saying in the news that people are not going to hospitals as much. Which would back up my thoughts the are a lot of attention seekers going to hospitals.

Back