• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

How is it fundamentally broken in its very concept? I know the NHS has many problems, in terms of funding, governance and strategy (having worked on the mes for many years as an auditor) but I can't say I agree with the principle that it is fundamentally broken in its very concept we feel that your position is driven by your political ideology rather than reality.
It's impossible for a public service to be provided as well and as efficiently as a private one. It just doesn't have the same incentives.

That doesn't mean it has to be privately funded (although that would be my preference), it just has to be run by professionals rather than civil servants.

At the tail end of last year my mum had a cancer scare, heart scare, and fell down the stairs. In every instance the NHS response was first class.
A few years ago, around a week before I implemented a private health package at work, I went to hospital with an ear infection. They fixed the problem, which is doing the basics right, I suppose. They also put me, a grown adult, in a room with other people. Imagine that - being put up like some student in a scummy youth hostel. It seemed I spent most of my time waiting for consultants, the food was awful, the WIFI slow, the TV in SD and there wasn't a drop of alcohol in sight.

I fixed it within a week by replacing it with private healthcare and it's been excellent.

There are undoubtedly improvements that can be made but by and large anyone who has had to rely on the NHS has been very grateful for their existence especially when the alternative is something like the us private healthcare system which is a sick joke and a nightmare. Literally a gross affront to human morality and decently in supposedly the richest/greatest nation in the world.
I've needed the US healthcare system and I can tell you from experience that it's far and away the best I've ever seen. The hospitals are clean and spacious, there's ample equipment everywhere, more staff on hand than one could ever need. They're prompt, efficient, well stocked and well staffed - everything one could ask for.

Last edited:
They have 5 times as many deaths as Norway, adjusted for population, and first case and first death at pretty much the same time, and also similar number and source of initial cases.
To this point, yes. What are the longer term outcomes of their actions?

Issue with testing is I feel it is equally a delay tactic as many positives cases don’t show in the first 7 days so Joe can go and infect someone and in 10 stages have infected 10,000 which will probably take 2 weeks to a month to come to light.

So I agree it’s a good preventative I don’t think it’s going to solve all issues.

I honestly think a lot of these places are killing themselves into a false sense of security and when lifted they will be hit hard like others are now, that’s the nature of indiscriminate virus’s
Track and tracing becomes pointless this far into the epidemic. (On top of the points you make)

The only thing loaded is your position. Seemingly neutral on the fence, seems to me you’re trying to defend this government in a round about way. Which is fair enough. If you are arguing something, good to be upfront and clear.

I think most sane people would take South Korea, Germany, South Africa where they acted fast, tested fast, tracked the virus and saved thousands of people’s lives. Who would prefer thousands of deaths!?

We are now trying to emulate these nations so we can open up again.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Read my other posts, I'm neutral, as open minded to all pathways. My comments on the government are literally just as I wrote them, non politicised observations. I don't care about the political side of it. More the situation we face and the solving of the riddle.

This is about logical (dare I say critical) thinking and is a real blind spot for some people. And that blind spot is the deaths, it's emotive, but if you think you've had less deaths now, you're the winner, you could easily be wrong. (Not you personally).

Just on a sidenote if you think contact tracing is useful at this point, sorry that boat has sailed..

How is it fundamentally broken in its very concept? I know the NHS has many problems, in terms of funding, governance and strategy (having worked on the mes for many years as an auditor) but I can't say I agree with the principle that it is fundamentally broken in its very concept we feel that your position is driven by your political ideology rather than reality.

At the tail end of last year my mum had a cancer scare, heart scare, and fell down the stairs. In every instance the NHS response was first class.

There are undoubtedly improvements that can be made but by and large anyone who has had to rely on the NHS has been very grateful for their existence especially when the alternative is something like the us private healthcare system which is a sick joke and a nightmare. Literally a gross affront to human morality and decently in supposedly the richest/greatest nation in the world.
You know @scaramanga s got high standards, so high in fact that if the ambulances were made by Audi he'd refuse to go in one.

Read my other posts, I'm neutral, as open minded to all pathways. My comments on the government are literally just as I wrote them, non politicised observations. I don't care about the political side of it. More the situation we face and the solving of the riddle.

This is about logical (dare I say critical) thinking and is a real blind spot for some people. And that blind spot is the deaths, it's emotive, but if you think you've had less deaths now, you're the winner, you could easily be wrong. (Not you personally).

Just on a sidenote if you think contact tracing is useful at this point, sorry that boat has sailed..

I like your style.

I hope the government does some random population tests to find out how prevalent exposure has been. It could well be that half the people in London have had the virus, or it could be that only a small percentage have. Impossible to know for sure. My guess is around 35-40%. But how do we know if people had Corona or some other cold, without greater testing?

Whichever way you break it down, testing is the only solution prior to a vaccine. If you stabilise with a lockdown, when you open up you have to have the means to measure and isolate the spread. It will give people confidence that we are in control of this (even if we aren't fully). It will allow us to open borders and the economy while tracking and controlling things, even if it is an imperfect form of control.

I like your style.

I hope the government does some random population tests to find out how prevalent exposure has been. It could well be that half the people in London have had the virus, or it could be that only a small percentage have. Impossible to know for sure. My guess is around 35-40%. But how do we know if people had Corona or some other cold, without greater testing?

Whichever way you break it down, testing is the only solution prior to a vaccine. If you stabilise with a lockdown, when you open up you have to have the means to measure and isolate the spread. It will give people confidence that we are in control of this (even if we aren't fully). It will allow us to open borders and the economy while tracking and controlling things, even if it is an imperfect form of control.
Agree with that. It's the only imminent tool we have to give us data that's useful.

Although it is a bit of a worry that a reliable antibody test is a long time coming.

I had my tests results back as negative
I also had a call form an NHS Person asking me about the symptoms I’ve had which seemed odd
As my symptoms started 3 weeks ago and I had the test Friday she didn’t believe the test would have shown anything and that I’ve had it and now have the follow on impact which is ok for me

Some Australian states are now down to single digit active cases, at this rate by mid May we could be living in a Covid free bubble. The mandatory quarantine hotel stays for 14 days which i begrudgingly completed are playing a key role in flattening the curve. Around 70 deaths total (population of 25 million) speaks for itself.

Now we’re being ‘encouraged’ to download a tracking app called CovidSafe which if over 45% of the population use will enable further restrictions to be lifted. Interesting to see the central government and state governments working together in a calm, science based fashion. Obviously the isolation of Australia and NZ helps in this situation but they’ve definitely played their cards well since mid March.

It's impossible for a public service to be provided as well and as efficiently as a private one. It just doesn't have the same incentives.

It should do. The health of society.

That doesn't mean it has to be privately funded (although that would be my preference), it just has to be run by professionals rather than civil servants.

This I agree with; fund them properly.

A few years ago, around a week before I implemented a private health package at work, I went to hospital with an ear infection. They fixed the problem, which is doing the basics right, I suppose. They also put me, a grown adult, in a room with other people. Imagine that - being put up like some student in a scummy youth hostel. It seemed I spent most of my time waiting for consultants, the food was awful, the WIFI slow, the TV in SD and there wasn't a drop of alcohol in sight.

A hospital is not a hotel. It is a hospital.

I fixed it within a week by replacing it with private healthcare and it's been excellent.

I've needed the US healthcare system and I can tell you from experience that it's far and away the best I've ever seen. The hospitals are clean and spacious, there's ample equipment everywhere, more staff on hand than one could ever need. They're prompt, efficient, well stocked and well staffed - everything one could ask for.

As long as you can afford it.

I hope you’re not “UK bashing” [emoji23]

The NHS is appealing over German health care? Yes it is decent, and anyone who’s been cared who had this virus will attest the NHS is filled with hard working caring people. But we don’t invest as much in it as say Germany or other European nations and so it’s organisation and facilities are not as impressive.

It can of course be improved but not whilst it is fighting fires with just enough to stand still. Moreover, you have to recognise that it is not black and white. The NHS is not all ineffective and inefficient. There is good practice and areas that could be improved. Can’t write off such a large multifaceted organization that does so much, much of it vital life giving and saving work.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
That's an unfortunate autocorrect of appalling!

Has there ever been a dumber Home Secretary than Prithi Patel? For weeks we thought she was in witness protection, but now we know why she has been absent from our screens. Gives a press conference and announces in further news...shop lifting numbers are down! Really she said that. There is some conjecture that her department gave here those crime figures as a lark. Someone even suggested that they ran a book to see if she would be dumb enough to announce them She was!

And in further news we are pleased to announce that incidents of violent assaults in pubs are down too. Lol. Some people actually voted for these fudge sticks!

Has there ever been a dumber Home Secretary than Prithi Patel? For weeks we thought she was in witness protection, but now we know why she has been absent from our screens. Gives a press conference and announces in further news...shop lifting numbers are down! Really she said that. There is some conjecture that her department gave here those crime figures as a lark. Someone even suggested that they ran a book to see if she would be dumb enough to announce them She was!

I agree about Patel, but i have always held a torch for her. Would love a go on her.

Back