• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

There was a tv news item last night about a small island in Estonia,they held a volleyball game against an italian side and a local social evening/carnival before a lockdown came in........70% of the island have the virus now......
Was it this video or something newer? As it sounds like they haven’t actually tested that many people and officials are just guessing how many are actually infected.

I remember hearing an in-depth discussion exactly about the this and the suggested result was along those line and vaccinating over time to manipulate the virus and body to create a tolerance - much like the flu, where it still kills but in general the numbers are lower.
I'm no Dr, so don't know how realistic that is. It was leading professionals talking, but it was also 2(? - who even knows what time is these days?!) weeks ago
The yearly flu jab is a guessing game for the pharmas. They try and predict the yearly prominent strains and that's what goes in to that years vac. Slightly chasing your tail. Additionally they're up against mutations and antigenic drift....where nothing within the season's dose is going to give you any protection.

Plenty contract flu who've taken the jab because of these issues.

Of course we have a lot to learn about covid 19, will it mutate, are there venerabilities it will exploit, are certain people more liable to serious complications (and not necessarily thru their own fault) and so on.

The yearly flu jab is a guessing game for the pharmas. They try and predict the yearly prominent strains and that's what goes in to that years vac. Slightly chasing your tail. Additionally they're up against mutations and antigenic drift....where nothing within the season's dose is going to give you any protection.

Plenty contract flu who've taken the jab because of these issues.

Of course we have a lot to learn about covid 19, will it mutate, are there venerabilities it will exploit, are certain people more liable to serious complications (and not necessarily thru their own fault) and so on.

The way that’s explained is almost like it could just be like a normal flu In future

By the looks on Doms face Chris Witty just said stuff he wasn’t meant too....

I think the penny is starting to drop for some people over the medium/longer-term nature of this now.Things aren't going 'back to normal' come 7th May, nor for a good while after that.

If it wasn't, Whitty just spelt it out for a fair few.

I've said similar before but I think you've hit on one of the big issues with politics, and perhaps even society in general there. Far too many people are completely unable to keep their expectations in line with the real world & environment.

This plays into something I said here a while back; public expectations are impossible. We cannot have "everything" we have to make choices. We lived as a society with the illusion that we could have -

guaranteed safety
wealth
a strong economy

without recognizing that three into two won't go. One of those simply cannot happen. It is impossible.
But we rode that horse for what, an escalating decade up to this point. We "might" have got away with it if the sudden burst of narcissistic populist arseholes hadn't found a connection with an increasingly greedy and self-interested society (I still blame Farage and 2016 Brexit for Trump and the rise of ignorance politics and leadership).

However, as you reiterated, we must now keep our expectations real.
We made this bed, so we will have to sleep in it.
Which one of the above three points gets sacrificed? And to what end?

I vote for understanding that public safety cannot be guaranteed.
Does that mean I advocate commerce over science? Absolutely not. I believe a common-sense slow phasing back is both inevitable and necessary for many aspects of not just our fiscal, but our mental health. However we could certainly divert some funds from our excessive defense budgets to go to health and welfare areas; that would allow proper preparation, and structure, to be built to deal with a society which WILL be living WITH covid19 (it is not something you "beat" per se).
Let's face it, in the US nobody is talking about how much wasted money is going into Trump's insane "space force program"!!!

So that Chinese graph has got to be made up to plummet like that compared to Italy, Spain and France who all have pretty severe lockdowns but are nowhere near to bending down like that.

So the talk seems to be of trying to get back to a 'containment' approach once restrictions are lifted, involving the swift identification and isolation of cases.

Would be fantastic if it worked, as it would clearly pave the way for a return to something approximating normality. But I wonder how feasible it actually is? Afterall, this method wasn't exactly a runaway success at the first attempt...

So the talk seems to be of trying to get back to a 'containment' approach once restrictions are lifted, involving the swift identification and isolation of cases.

Would be fantastic if it worked, as it would clearly pave the way for a return to something approximating normality. But I wonder how feasible it actually is? Afterall, this method wasn't exactly a runaway success at the first attempt...

There was no 'swift identification' previously.

Antibody tests should come on stream pretty soon, and technically they are far easier tests - can process them a lot quicker I believe. If we had a competent government you'd imagine something like street by street tests where the army dispatch and pick up swabs from each household. But so far this government have not been too proactive more reactive. They need a way to get testing to people. That will be key.

Reactions: DTA
There was no 'swift identification' previously.

Antibody tests should come on stream pretty soon, and technically they are far easier tests - can process them a lot quicker I believe. If we had a competent government you'd imagine something like street by street tests where the army dispatch and pick up swabs from each household. But so far this government have not been too proactive more reactive. They need a way to get testing to people. That will be key.

But antibody testing is backward-looking, is it not? It's usefulness in this context would depend upon establishing that infection = immunity, which doesn't appear to have been settled one way or the other.

Swift identification of current cases surely involves testing for current infection?

I'm still seeing/hearing people from my windows walking the streets coughing their guts up, spitting etc. If a reversion to a containment approach is going to involve relying on the public, it's going to have an uphill battle on it's hands.

But antibody testing is backward-looking, is it not? It's usefulness in this context would depend upon establishing that infection = immunity, which doesn't appear to have been settled one way or the other.

Swift identification of current cases surely involves testing for current infection?

I'm still seeing/hearing people from my windows walking the streets coughing their guts up, spitting etc. If a reversion to a containment approach is going to involve relying on the public, it's going to have an uphill battle on it's hands.

We need both tests asap.

I think it is highly unlikely that having the virus does not produce antibodies that are effective.

We need both tests asap.

I think it is highly unlikely that having the virus does not produce antibodies that are effective.

I don't know enough to comment, but a couple of posters in this thread seemed to be asserting that it was looking otherwise a couple of days back.

I think we just need to have these collars distributed...
53F6BBAF-C324-4DD3-9420-04DE0D37B06F.gif

Back