• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Clement Lenglet

As per the last set of accounts Arsenal still pay slightly more than we do. £213m versus £208m

Again as per the accounts PSG, Barca, Real, Athletico, Juventus and Inter all pay more than we do so not quite just the three teams between Spain, France and Italy like you think.

My point is and remains, you cant say money can tempt players when we aren't in the league of big payers. For example, the type of wages that will tempt an established CL player to join Spurs right now are the levels of wage we aren't willing to pay.
Yeah I can’t agree
We’re rumoured to be willing to pay Maddison £175k a week
That would attract 99.9% of the players in the world except those that won’t leave the country
I don’t trust any data on salaries in Italy by the way. We know that they lie
And the data I saw last week had us paying more than arsenal. Either way it’s comparable at least

Yeah I can’t agree
That would attract 99.9% of the players in the world except those that won’t leave the country
And the data I saw last week had us paying more than arsenal. Either way it’s comparable at least
That info is hardly credible though.

Re: Arsenal - can you point me to that info please? I know that Arsenal have reduced their wage bill somewhat by getting the likes of Aubameyang and Ozil off the wage bill but they have also given Nketiah a £200k a week contract, Saka a £200k a week contract and signed high wage players like Odeegard, Jesus and Zichenko (all coming from clubs who are in the top 5 wage payers in world football).

Re: Arsenal - can you point me to that info please? I know that Arsenal have reduced their wage bill somewhat by getting the likes of Aubameyang and Ozil off the wage bill but they have also given Nketiah a £200k a week contract, Saka a £200k a week contract and signed high wage players like Odeegard, Jesus and Zichenko (all coming from clubs who are in the top 5 wage payers in world football).

Jesus is meant to be on £265k a week or over.

Yeah I can’t agree

If the figures from Italy are Indeed dodgy it's likely they are paying MORE than the official reported figures in their accounts (as has been reported in the plusvalenza scandal), not less.

So just to again say, you're absolutely correct that money can tempt players to join not so attractive projects. However we are not one of the clubs that pay those kind of wages. To be clear as well there isn't a huge gap between ourselves and the next few closest paying sides. Ie the likes of Dortmund or Leicester or West Ham. The gap is smaller to those teams than the gap between our wages and those of the likes of Bayern or Juventus.

That reported £175k is a ridiculous amount of money but it isn't what the top earners at City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Arsenal etc earn.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

I posted it the other week and I think you even commented. I was sceptical myself

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/news/arsenal-chelsea-tottenham-wage-bills-26365229

That article is wrong. I've looked at Arsenal's accounts myself and their reported wages were £212,416. I have no idea how your link got it wrong but they have.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk
There are loads of reports about wages
All with random figures it seems
As I said above…I didn’t give it any credit

Context will be important on this one - if he's our main CB signing that'd be bad but as someone else said previously (though i can't find the post now) if we stregthen/spend well elsewhere (incliding no.1 CB target) then as a cheap back up option it could make sense.
Wonder if we can get him on another year's loan?

Oh come on. Last summer you had a go at me for saying i'd like an upgrade on dier and davies in defence. Would have them as bench options.

I think some clarification is in order here. Yes, I did no think Dier and Davies did not need to be sold last summer because we could not afford to replace all our central defenders with the exception of Romero, so I was in favour of us getting rid of Roden, Tanganga and Sanchez ahead of Dier and Davies. Even more so with Davies because I felt he could cover for Sessegnon.

Now that we I have clarified the above please explain what any of this has to do with me making the following comment:

"I really do not care either way as I have never ever complained about Spurs not buying world class players. There are Spurs fans out there bitching about Levy not signing world class defenders. That has never been my view, although I do think we can do a lot better than Lenglet who I do not rate".

You quoted me but I am at a loss as to the point you are actually trying to make.

I think some clarification is in order here. Yes, I did no think Dier and Davies did not need to be sold last summer because we could not afford to replace all our central defenders with the exception of Romero, so I was in favour of us getting rid of Roden, Tanganga and Sanchez ahead of Dier and Davies. Even more so with Davies because I felt he could cover for Sessegnon.

Now that we I have clarified the above please explain what any of this has to do with me making the following comment:

"I really do not care either way as I have never ever complained about Spurs not buying world class players. There are Spurs fans out there bitching about Levy not signing world class defenders. That has never been my view, although I do think we can do a lot better than Lenglet who I do not rate".

You quoted me but I am at a loss as to the point you are actually trying to make.

I never said we should sell them, just i preferred an upgrade and them on the bench. You then said we can't have world class players in every position. Which i never suggested.

My point is that if you disagree with someone (because last summer you thought dier and davies were good enough to be first choice) you accuse them of wanting world class players instead.

No. We just want to upgrade what we think are weak positions in our team.

Just saw a graph of a year ago when we had overpassed Arsenal. Might have changed since then.

Just when I thought I was out of this thread, they pull me back in.

Lenglet isnt better or worse than what we already have(except Romero). We need world class CBs not average ones, I'm glad we decided against him...

In response to which I said

I do not necessarily expect us to sign world class defenders, because if I were a world class defender I am not sure I would rush to sign for a club that has not won a trophy for over 15 years. We should however be aiming to sign central defenders with a lot of potential.

So I thought it was @IulianSteaua who wants the world class defenders, not you.

My point is that if you disagree with someone (because last summer you thought dier and davies were good enough to be first choice) you accuse them of wanting world class players instead.

Again, I do not remember "accusing" you of wanting world class players, but if I have that wrong, show me and I will apologise. Your use of the word "accusing", amuses me greatly, you make it sound like wanting to buy world class players is a bad thing. I do not think it is, I just think it is unrealistic, which is why I always say we should sign players on the upward curve, with potential, with a high ceiling.

No, I did not say Davies and Dier were good enough to be first choice, to say otherwise is you being disingenuous. I was simply aware that we could not afford to replace the whole of our defence so I simply named other defenders that I would sell ahead of Davies and Dier.

I cannot believe I have expended so much energy in the thread of a player who currently is not even a Spurs player, and hopefully will never be again.

We just want to upgrade what we think are weak positions in our team.

On that we can both agree.

I am going to now take my leave from this thread, hopefully never to return, unless Lenglet returns, in which case I will be back Knives Out

Also WC players don't move very often, they generally become world class at top clubs who then don't sell them. Who's moved in the last 2 summers that would be considered world class at the time they moved? Haaland is the only one that springs to mind (though I'm probably missing someone) and even then he was generally considered good rather than world class by most.
Plenty of world class players change clubs. Mane left Liverpool. Casemiro left Real. De Ligt switched clubs. Haaland as you mentioned etc. I don't know if we can sweep one up, but if there is a posibility then we should grab it with both hands. Another thing about world class players, is that they attract other players to come to the club. You have a megastar like Kane, Son, it attract other guys to join.

Plenty of world class players change clubs. Mane left Liverpool. Casemiro left Real. De Ligt switched clubs. Haaland as you mentioned etc. I don't know if we can sweep one up, but if there is a posibility then we should grab it with both hands. Another thing about world class players, is that they attract other players to come to the club. You have a megastar like Kane, Son, it attract other guys to join.

I'm not sure that those 3 are what I'd call world class, probably at their peak but Mane has been on a slide, Casemiro is getting older (to be fair he's still good and amongst the best in his position) and past his best and De Ligt hasn't lived up to his early promise. All depends on your definition of course but I like to think of it as top 4/5 in your position globally.

Back