• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Arsenal are actually of a good illustration of my point. They haven't replaced any of those players adequately and have gone from regular title contenders to 4th place contenders. From a financial perspective, finishing 4th rather than 1st pales in comparison to finishing 5th rather than 4th. They've now bought Ozil, who will probably take a season or two to get going but are still lacking a top class CF. If Ozil is fantastic next season but they continue without a CF, they'll probably finish 4th again. If they then sign a world class CF, but let Ozil go, they will still finish 4th again the season after that because although they have this new shiney CF, they won't have Ozil. It's not building a team, it's re-cycling a team.

Turn that round to the situation Spurs are currently in. We are trying to go from 5th to CL regulars, a massive financial difference. Do you not think that the risk of forcing someone to stay for a couple more seasons then losing them at less value if we don't do it is worth it? It's not like we are struggling financially and knowing Levy he'd still get a good deal anyway.

I agree, but in our case its not necessarily about being successful over time, it's about taking that next step, becoming CL regulars and then having the pulling power to replace the unhappy players that want to go with players of equal or better ability. Once we are there, we can worry about long term success.

Again, I agree. But this notion of 'punching above our weight' frustrates me a little. We are a big club, with a large fan base, in one of the most attractive cities in the world if we could break regularly into the CL we would go from strength to strength. In order to do that, the first key step has to be get a good manager and allow him to build a team around this crop of players we have. That means holding onto the best ones for as long as it takes.

Again, that's my point. Had we held on to Berbatov or replaced him with someone in a similar class rather than 'functional' whilst allowing Modric and Bale to grow into the players they became, my opinion is we'd be CL regulars right now. Bale and Modric may have still left, but we could replace them with ready made players of similar quality due to the attraction of the CL.

As per the above, we would have a better chance of replacing him like for like or at least a couple of players with similar quality if we were in the CL. I do appreciate what happened at Dortmund and at Athletico though. If we can manage that kind of system then yes I'm over the moon with it, but Cl qualification will certainly make this easier. The quickest way to that for me is to hold on to our current key players, get a good manager and add a couple more players with potential in the hope that in a couple of years time these players fulfill that potential at the same time that our key players are in form and we finally finally have built a team with 8+ top class players all playing well at the same time.

Not if you repeatedly sell the best thing you come up with to fix the hole for gold. You'd spend periods of time looking like your boat is going to float to the top and periods of time looking like it's sinking but all in all, never actually going anywhere.

Based on turnover, net transfer spend potential, wage budget etc we have to punch considerably above our weight to become CL regulars.

Remember we did get into the CL once, and although it was a lot of fun we weren't able to stick. Getting CL football once isn't the golden ticket that sets us up for years to come. There aren't any guarantees that we go from strength to strength as you say, most likely we will fluctuate around the level decided by our finances.

I agree, like Levy clearly does, that keeping our best players should be our aim. But that's very different from unrealistically expecting us to keep players at all costs or when clubs like Real Madrid start throwing their entire weight behind a campaign to get our star players.

Fans talk about "accepting the risk" very easily, a bit too easily for my taste. How much did the Campbell leaving on a free set us back for example? Had Levy been around perhaps a huge chunk of money could have been invested in the squad instead of him leaving on a free. He was kept as we tried to push on, tried to take that next step that we failed to take. Was the risk worth it? You talk of Arsenal keeping their top players longer, but in the end they sold RvP for a lot less than he was worth and to a league rival. Could they have gotten significantly more for him the year before and invested that wisely perhaps that would have been the better risk to accept? Impossible to know of course, it's a hypothetical situation. But just as impossible to know that if Levy picked some hardball "will not sell at any cost at any risk at any point" it would have worked out.

I actually think this "stepping stone" image is part of what allows us to get highly talented players in the first place. If we had a reputation of someone that would rather let an unhappy player decline as he stayed out his contract would players like Eriksen (who seems very career conscious) have moved to us? I would think one of the biggest selling points for Baldini when discussing a move with a player and his agent would be the way we have launched some players on to greatness.

Based on turnover, net transfer spend potential, wage budget etc we have to punch considerably above our weight to become CL regulars.

Remember we did get into the CL once, and although it was a lot of fun we weren't able to stick. Getting CL football once isn't the golden ticket that sets us up for years to come. There aren't any guarantees that we go from strength to strength as you say, most likely we will fluctuate around the level decided by our finances.

We did, then we were very unlucky to miss out the year after, then we sold Modric and have never qualified again. Had we forced Modric to stay for one more season that would have (*almost) been 3 years in a row so who knows what might have happened. My point being we can't be happy to be continually 'punching above our weight' at some point we are going to have to put the effort in to move up a weight division and stay there. Otherwise what is the point of being a football club. Whether that takes a better manager, spending more money, a bigger stadium I don't know, but I do know that constantly re-cycling our team is not going to help us get there any time soon.

I agree, like Levy clearly does, that keeping our best players should be our aim. But that's very different from unrealistically expecting us to keep players at all costs or when clubs like Real Madrid start throwing their entire weight behind a campaign to get our star players.

Again, we are perfectly within our rights to force a player to stay. No-matter the money offered, no-matter the club. Someone needs to take a stand at some point, why can't it be us. They evidence suggests that players don't actually play any worse when you do this.

Fans talk about "accepting the risk" very easily, a bit too easily for my taste. How much did the Campbell leaving on a free set us back for example? Had Levy been around perhaps a huge chunk of money could have been invested in the squad instead of him leaving on a free. He was kept as we tried to push on, tried to take that next step that we failed to take. Was the risk worth it? You talk of Arsenal keeping their top players longer, but in the end they sold RvP for a lot less than he was worth and to a league rival. Could they have gotten significantly more for him the year before and invested that wisely perhaps that would have been the better risk to accept? Impossible to know of course, it's a hypothetical situation. But just as impossible to know that if Levy picked some hardball "will not sell at any cost at any risk at any point" it would have worked out.

Letting Campbell go was a totally different situation. We we're sh*t back then and were not on the brink of breaking into the biggest footballing competition that a club can get into. It was a mistake to let him go on a free yes, and at that time it wasn't a risk worth taking (even though we ended up taking it), but now is different.

RVP decided to leave Arsenal because he seen they were in decline. Why were they in decline? Because they continually let their best players go and failed to replace them adequately. He was essentially the last one of that generation to go.

I actually think this "stepping stone" image is part of what allows us to get highly talented players in the first place. If we had a reputation of someone that would rather let an unhappy player decline as he stayed out his contract would players like Eriksen (who seems very career conscious) have moved to us? I would think one of the biggest selling points for Baldini when discussing a move with a player and his agent would be the way we have launched some players on to greatness.

This is a fair point, but at some point we have to make the step up from 'stepping stone club who I'll go to for a few years to put my name out then move on to a Champions League Club' to 'Champions League Club' and to do that, we have to find some way of holding on to our best players.

I'm probably coming across as a complete huffy little w*nker here who just wants us to throw all the money in the world at our best players and never let them leave. I'm not, and I've been happy with the clubs strategy over the past few years, it has served us well and taken us from mid-table to CL almost guys.

I just feel that we have been trying to break into the top 4 for the past say 5 years. Banging our heads against a wall re-cycling our best players. The only time we have managed it was when we had King, Bale, Sandro, Modric and VDV all in the same team and all playing to their potential. Four world class players and one who was staring to look like he was (Sandro).

In the next few years with the correct manager in place we could have at least 3 world class players at the same time with Eriksen, Lamela and Sandro and but if Levy sells any of them when the big boys come knocking at the end of next season we are back to square one. And the cycle continues.

We did, then we were very unlucky to miss out the year after, then we sold Modric and have never qualified again. Had we forced Modric to stay for one more season that would have (*almost) been 3 years in a row so who knows what might have happened. My point being we can't be happy to be continually 'punching above our weight' at some point we are going to have to put the effort in to move up a weight division and stay there. Otherwise what is the point of being a football club. Whether that takes a better manager, spending more money, a bigger stadium I don't know, but I do know that constantly re-cycling our team is not going to help us get there any time soon.

We did force Modric to stay one more year without CL football, and although we were unlucky we didn't make it. And that was the next season when we ignored the EL and were effectively almost without european football. To step up to become CL regulars means getting there every year. I think my point that getting there once isn't a golden ticket stands.

Again, we are perfectly within our rights to force a player to stay. No-matter the money offered, no-matter the club. Someone needs to take a stand at some point, why can't it be us. They evidence suggests that players don't actually play any worse when you do this.

Perfectly within our rights, sure. Doesn't mean it's the best option.

We have taken a stand, for example with Modric when he wanted to go to Chelsea. Levy was capable of doing that, he clearly wants us to do well. Yet people are saying it's so easy to just keep your best players.

Letting Campbell go was a totally different situation. We we're sh*t back then and were not on the brink of breaking into the biggest footballing competition that a club can get into. It was a mistake to let him go on a free yes, and at that time it wasn't a risk worth taking (even though we ended up taking it), but now is different.

RVP decided to leave Arsenal because he seen they were in decline. Why were they in decline? Because they continually let their best players go and failed to replace them adequately. He was essentially the last one of that generation to go.

I agree that the Campbell situation was different, but it was still comparable.

Failing to replace them being the key word. They did keep RvP, Nasri and Fabregas longer than they actually wanted to stay I think. Yet... Decline.

The key again is who you sign.

This is a fair point, but at some point we have to make the step up from 'stepping stone club who I'll go to for a few years to put my name out then move on to a Champions League Club' to 'Champions League Club' and to do that, we have to find some way of holding on to our best players.

I'm probably coming across as a complete huffy little w*nker here who just wants us to throw all the money in the world at our best players and never let them leave. I'm not, and I've been happy with the clubs strategy over the past few years, it has served us well and taken us from mid-table to CL almost guys.

I just feel that we have been trying to break into the top 4 for the past say 5 years. Banging our heads against a wall re-cycling our best players. The only time we have managed it was when we had King, Bale, Sandro, Modric and VDV all in the same team and all playing to their potential. Four world class players and one who was staring to look like he was (Sandro).

In the next few years with the correct manager in place we could have at least 3 world class players at the same time with Eriksen, Lamela and Sandro and but if Levy sells any of them when the big boys come knocking at the end of next season we are back to square one. And the cycle continues.

You're factually incorrect about Sandro and VdV. They were both signed after we qualified (well, Sandro was signed before we qualified, but arrived after).

You're factually right that we had Bale, but he wasn't anywhere near the superstar he went on to become. I disagree completely that he was playing "to his potential", unless you were talking about his potential at the time, something that still doesn't make sense to me. We had Bale much in the same way that we had Aaron Lennon and Niko Kranjcar.

We did have a top class Ledley King, although he did only start 19 league games. Modric only started 21 games. (Bale started 18, quite a few of them at left back.)

It's just not anywhere near correct to say that we had "Four world class players and one who was staring to look like he was (Sandro)." I would say we had two, Modric and King, and in games started they totaled just barely over a single full season between them. Why did we succeed? Like it or not, but Peter Crouch, Tom Huddlestone, Wilson Palacios, Niko Kranjcar, Aaron Lennon, Heurelio Gomes and so on and so on. Massively influential, non-world class* players. Players that fit a system, a team and squad without glaring shortcomings like we have now, a hard working team that functioned as a unit where most of the players had PL experienced and were somewhat settled.

*You could argue that Gomes was world class that season and I would have no counter-argument. Again it doesn't support the "must keep our best players at all costs" argument though.

I agree that we have some potential world class players right now. I would include Lloris and Vertonghen in that. And I think Kyle Walker is becoming a fantastic full back defensively at least. What we need now is the same thing we needed when Redknapp took over. To balance our squad, to fill the shortcomings. The return of Ade in a way filled one of the same shortcomings as Crouch did - it gave us a target man option. But can Ade be trusted? I would say there's a decent chance that's a hole that will need filling again soon. Where is our passer in central/deep midfield? He doesn't exist unless you think Bentaleb is ready (something he may be, but he wasn't when this season started). What is our first choice centre back partnership that has at least a chance of becoming settled? Doesn't exist. Is our left back good enough?

I really think this "keep our best players at all costs" business is a bit of a red herring. It's important to try, but it's one of many factors.

We did force Modric to stay one more year without CL football, and although we were unlucky we didn't make it. And that was the next season when we ignored the EL and were effectively almost without european football. To step up to become CL regulars means getting there every year. I think my point that getting there once isn't a golden ticket stands.

In order to become regulars, we have to qualify at least once. We failed to repeat that feat, but we stood a better chance of qualifying again (in fact we did but were very unlucky) having kept that same squad together and added a couple of quality individuals.

Perfectly within our rights, sure. Doesn't mean it's the best option.

We have taken a stand, for example with Modric when he wanted to go to Chelsea. Levy was capable of doing that, he clearly wants us to do well. Yet people are saying it's so easy to just keep your best players.

Do you not agree though that this constant re-cycling of the team prevents any manager from building a team?

I agree that the Campbell situation was different, but it was still comparable.

Failing to replace them being the key word. They did keep RvP, Nasri and Fabregas longer than they actually wanted to stay I think. Yet... Decline.

The key again is who you sign.

I agree but my point is that we cannot sign the quality of player needed to hit the ground running in the premier league that allows us to sustain a position in the top 4. Therefore forcing our better players to stay (within sensible reason obviously) is the better option at this moment in time IMO.

You're factually incorrect about Sandro and VdV. They were both signed after we qualified (well, Sandro was signed before we qualified, but arrived after).

You're factually right that we had Bale, but he wasn't anywhere near the superstar he went on to become. I disagree completely that he was playing "to his potential", unless you were talking about his potential at the time, something that still doesn't make sense to me. We had Bale much in the same way that we had Aaron Lennon and Niko Kranjcar.

We did have a top class Ledley King, although he did only start 19 league games. Modric only started 21 games. (Bale started 18, quite a few of them at left back.)

It's just not anywhere near correct to say that we had "Four world class players and one who was staring to look like he was (Sandro)." I would say we had two, Modric and King, and in games started they totaled just barely over a single full season between them. Why did we succeed? Like it or not, but Peter Crouch, Tom Huddlestone, Wilson Palacios, Niko Kranjcar, Aaron Lennon, Heurelio Gomes and so on and so on. Massively influential, non-world class* players. Players that fit a system, a team and squad without glaring shortcomings like we have now, a hard working team that functioned as a unit where most of the players had PL experienced and were somewhat settled.

*You could argue that Gomes was world class that season and I would have no counter-argument. Again it doesn't support the "must keep our best players at all costs" argument though.

A fair point on Sandro and VDV, my mistake. Being in the CL almost certainly allowed us to sign VDV though (probably not the same case with Sandro). So we kept the World Class players that we had and added to them with another. The next season we were dreadfully unlucky not to qualify again, who knows what might have happened had Chelsea not won the CL.

I agree that Bale was not playing to his potential, but Bale playing at half of his potential is still better than 90% of the left sided players in the league at the time.

I agree that we have some potential world class players right now. I would include Lloris and Vertonghen in that. And I think Kyle Walker is becoming a fantastic full back defensively at least. What we need now is the same thing we needed when Redknapp took over. To balance our squad, to fill the shortcomings. The return of Ade in a way filled one of the same shortcomings as Crouch did - it gave us a target man option. But can Ade be trusted? I would say there's a decent chance that's a hole that will need filling again soon. Where is our passer in central/deep midfield? He doesn't exist unless you think Bentaleb is ready (something he may be, but he wasn't when this season started). What is our first choice centre back partnership that has at least a chance of becoming settled? Doesn't exist. Is our left back good enough?

I really think this "keep our best players at all costs" business is a bit of a red herring. It's important to try, but it's one of many factors.

Your Gomes analogy has made me realise we are actually trying to say the same thing. I think we both agree that we can't just hold on to our best players until they go to Madrid for free.

I think what you are saying is we should get maximum value for them, re-invest it in the squad in potential and hope that the new players hit the ground running in order to push us into that 4th spot. Once we are in that 4th spot we can then invest in better players to secure that position.

What I am saying is that we should hold on to them a little longer in the hope that they get us to that 4th spot then either a) convince them to stay or b) replace them with players of similar caliber who are already playing at that level to secure the position.

I think either approach is viable, one is obviously more risky than the other. I suppose mine is more of a sink or swim approach. If we hold on to them and make CL then consolidate that then great. If we hold on to them and don't make it then its a much bigger hit to us.

But from a managers perspective, how can you expect anyone to build a team that will qualify for CL when they lose their best player every two seasons. It's not a viable model.

DL either has to say, I'm happy to wait for top 4 because I can't hold on to our best players and each year we don't qualify I'm going to have to sell one. I need to give the manager time to get a system in place that can deal with it.

or

I want top 4 ASAP, so Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Sandro, Lamela, Eriksen, Soldado, you guys are going no-where, no matter the money offered. You 7, along with the correct manager are my best hope of getting there as soon as possible.

At the moment, he's saying the latter but treating the players and manager(s) like the former.

Last edited:
Your Gomes analogy has made me realise we are actually trying to say the same thing. I think we both agree that we can't just hold on to our best players until they go to Madrid for free.

I think what you are saying is we should get maximum value for them, re-invest it in the squad in potential and hope that the new players hit the ground running in order to push us into that 4th spot. Once we are in that 4th spot we can then invest in better players to secure that position.

What I am saying is that we should hold on to them a little longer in the hope that they get us to that 4th spot then either a) convince them to stay or b) replace them with players of similar caliber who are already playing at that level to secure the position.

I think either approach is viable, one is obviously more risky than the other. I suppose mine is more of a sink or swim approach. If we hold on to them and make CL then consolidate that then great. If we hold on to them and don't make it then its a much bigger hit to us.

But from a managers perspective, how can you expect anyone to build a team that will qualify for CL when they lose their best player every two seasons. It's not a viable model.

DL either has to say, I'm happy to wait for top 4 because I can't hold on to our best players and each year we don't qualify I'm going to have to sell one. I need to give the manager time to get a system in place that can deal with it.

or

I want top 4 ASAP, so Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Sandro, Lamela, Eriksen, Soldado, you guys are going no-where, no matter the money offered. You 7, along with the correct manager are my best hope of getting there as soon as possible.

At the moment, he's saying the latter but treating the players and manager(s) like the former.

To start from where there seems to be some consensus.

I'm specifically not saying that we should just get maximum value for our top players, re-invest and hope the new players hit the ground running. If you think this is what I think perhaps you should either re-read my posts or I will have to try to make my opinion clearer.

-I specifically said I think our aim should be to keep our best players. I didn't say we should look for "maximum value" by selling them. But I've also said that sometimes I think we have been forced into selling our best players. That we have to accept that this is part of football and that although we sometimes can take a stand (like when Chelsea wanted Modric) it's unrealistic to expect us to do that all the time. We have to plan for how we live with this.
-I've specifically said that we have to get ahead of the curve, have the next top players break through before we're forced into selling our best players. We cannot rely on replacement players to hit the ground running.

How do we succeed long term? It's not just about Eriksen, Lamela, Sandro or Vertonghen stepping up to become top class. It's about knowing that most likely if some of them do we might lose them. That is life. Knowing that we can't expect replacement players to step in and hit the ground running the key is the "generation" after that. Bentaleb perhaps? Veljkovic? I don't know. I see today that we've been linked to Victor Fischer from Ajax. He seems super promising, but isn't likely to start performing straight away. But players like that, players that can already be settled at the club and ready to be the next key players 2-3 years down the line when we might be forced to sell a top class player that's what we need. Along with sorting out the glaring weaknesses in our squad with some players that won't have to be world class, but should largely hit the ground running.

To start from where there seems to be some consensus.

I'm specifically not saying that we should just get maximum value for our top players, re-invest and hope the new players hit the ground running. If you think this is what I think perhaps you should either re-read my posts or I will have to try to make my opinion clearer.

-I specifically said I think our aim should be to keep our best players. I didn't say we should look for "maximum value" by selling them. But I've also said that sometimes I think we have been forced into selling our best players. That we have to accept that this is part of football and that although we sometimes can take a stand (like when Chelsea wanted Modric) it's unrealistic to expect us to do that all the time. We have to plan for how we live with this.
-I've specifically said that we have to get ahead of the curve, have the next top players break through before we're forced into selling our best players. We cannot rely on replacement players to hit the ground running.

How do we succeed long term? It's not just about Eriksen, Lamela, Sandro or Vertonghen stepping up to become top class. It's about knowing that most likely if some of them do we might lose them. That is life. Knowing that we can't expect replacement players to step in and hit the ground running the key is the "generation" after that. Bentaleb perhaps? Veljkovic? I don't know. I see today that we've been linked to Victor Fischer from Ajax. He seems super promising, but isn't likely to start performing straight away. But players like that, players that can already be settled at the club and ready to be the next key players 2-3 years down the line when we might be forced to sell a top class player that's what we need. Along with sorting out the glaring weaknesses in our squad with some players that won't have to be world class, but should largely hit the ground running.

I should have worded my post better. What I should have said was that you are of the opinion that if it looks like we will be forced to sell our best players we should do so at a point which gets us maximum value, then re-invest this in the squad.

The fact you've mentioned Bentaleb & Veljkovic in a way is showing up what I'm trying to say though. If Eriksen, Lamela, Sandro and Vertonghen all step up to be world class, then we get rid of Eriksen but at that time Bentaleb breaks through we are no stronger. If however, we took a stand and held on to all four of those players whilst Bentaleb breaks through we become a stronger group i.e we are building a team. If Veljkovic turns out to be a WC centre back or DM then we can let Vertonghen & Sandro go.

In order to do what you are suggesting and still continue to move forward we need to have a potential world class DM, another potentially world class no10, another Centre back, and another LWF (or whatever Lamela ends up being for us) waiting in the wings. Any of these need to be breaking through at the specific time when we decide to let any of Eriksen, Lamela, Sandro of Vertonghen go. That is an incredibly difficult thing to manage.

I suppose, having talked myself round in a circle a little (with your help!) what I am trying to say is that unless we have a ready made replacement already in our squad we should be doing more to try and keep hold of our best. If Veljkovic looks as good as Sandro or Vertonghen in the coming season and Madrid come knocking, let either of them go (but not both!). But if someone comes knocking for Eriksen and there is literally no-one else in our squad that can fulfill that role then absolutely no way should we be letting him go, no-matter the money until it gets to a stage where we honestly can't hold out any longer (i.e he's going to walk away for free).

Fwiw, i think Pritchard is a player that can be groomed into being the natural replacement for Eriksen.

I should have worded my post better. What I should have said was that you are of the opinion that if it looks like we will be forced to sell our best players we should do so at a point which gets us maximum value, then re-invest this in the squad.

The fact you've mentioned Bentaleb & Veljkovic in a way is showing up what I'm trying to say though. If Eriksen, Lamela, Sandro and Vertonghen all step up to be world class, then we get rid of Eriksen but at that time Bentaleb breaks through we are no stronger. If however, we took a stand and held on to all four of those players whilst Bentaleb breaks through we become a stronger group i.e we are building a team. If Veljkovic turns out to be a WC centre back or DM then we can let Vertonghen & Sandro go.

In order to do what you are suggesting and still continue to move forward we need to have a potential world class DM, another potentially world class no10, another Centre back, and another LWF (or whatever Lamela ends up being for us) waiting in the wings. Any of these need to be breaking through at the specific time when we decide to let any of Eriksen, Lamela, Sandro of Vertonghen go. That is an incredibly difficult thing to manage.

I suppose, having talked myself round in a circle a little (with your help!) what I am trying to say is that unless we have a ready made replacement already in our squad we should be doing more to try and keep hold of our best. If Veljkovic looks as good as Sandro or Vertonghen in the coming season and Madrid come knocking, let either of them go (but not both!). But if someone comes knocking for Eriksen and there is literally no-one else in our squad that can fulfill that role then absolutely no way should we be letting him go, no-matter the money until it gets to a stage where we honestly can't hold out any longer (i.e he's going to walk away for free).

Yes, to some extent that's what I'm saying. 1. We have to accept that as a club at our level we will sometimes be forced into selling our best players. 2. Find a way to deal with it.

I still disagree about the number of world class players you think we need to bring us forward. If Eriksen, Lamela, Sandro and Vertongehn all step up to be world class and we still don't manage to get into the bastardly Champions Leauge we're getting close to giving up time. Like I pointed out earlier about the 09/10 season, we didn't have 4 world class players at that time. Look at Liverpool now, on the verge of winning the league, do they have 4 world class players? No way! We've had a messy, horrible, manager sacking season and we're 7 points + goal difference off fourth. Do we need 4 players to step up to become world class to get there? I don't see it.

And I also disagree about direct replacements. If out of 6 (starting) midfielders and forwards we have two world class players that really should do the trick as long as the rest of the group is balanced and reasonably settled. If we then lose a world class left wide players, but he's replaced by a world class right wide player that should be absolutely fine.

But for those other positions where we don't have a balanced squad we need somewhat settled players and balance in terms of having no obvious shortcomings. Kranjcar, Lennon, Crouch, Defoe, Huddlestone. These players weren't world class, but they were highly functional. Similarly I don't think Mignolet, Johnson, Flannagan, Skrtel, Henderson, Coutinho etc are world class. But they are highly functional, in a good system without obvious shortcomings.

Fwiw, i think Pritchard is a player that can be groomed into being the natural replacement for Eriksen.

Very interesting.

It was mentioned in the youth thread that he could feature in a couple of the final games of the season. Would really like to hear you expand a bit on Pritchard in there. (Wouldn't mind it here either, but I feel I'm well on my way to taking this thread (too) off topic already)

Very interesting.

It was mentioned in the youth thread that he could feature in a couple of the final games of the season. Would really like to hear you expand a bit on Pritchard in there. (Wouldn't mind it here either, but I feel I'm well on my way to taking this thread (too) off topic already)

well its not off topic because like i said he could be a natural replacement for eriksen. From what ive seen he has experience playing mostly as an attacking left sided player. He is right footed so prefers cutting in. Has good movement, is mobile but not quick, scores goals, is very dangerous from free kicks with a number of goals from free kicks already. Is responsible for set pieces and very good/accurate with his delivery into the box. He looks to be one of those intelligent type of players.......sounds like our Dane?;) Of course, all this is at youth level and div 1 level, but im simply talking about his style, his qualities. Whether he can transfer these to the highest level we dont know. However just like with Kane and Bentaleb id like to see him being given a chance next season to break through. I dont think we will hold on to Eriksen for anymore than one or two more seasons, so the club anyway should be looking ahead.

Yes, to some extent that's what I'm saying. 1. We have to accept that as a club at our level we will sometimes be forced into selling our best players. 2. Find a way to deal with it.

I still disagree about the number of world class players you think we need to bring us forward. If Eriksen, Lamela, Sandro and Vertongehn all step up to be world class and we still don't manage to get into the bastardly Champions Leauge we're getting close to giving up time. Like I pointed out earlier about the 09/10 season, we didn't have 4 world class players at that time. Look at Liverpool now, on the verge of winning the league, do they have 4 world class players? No way! We've had a messy, horrible, manager sacking season and we're 7 points + goal difference off fourth. Do we need 4 players to step up to become world class to get there? I don't see it.

And I also disagree about direct replacements. If out of 6 (starting) midfielders and forwards we have two world class players that really should do the trick as long as the rest of the group is balanced and reasonably settled. If we then lose a world class left wide players, but he's replaced by a world class right wide player that should be absolutely fine.

But for those other positions where we don't have a balanced squad we need somewhat settled players and balance in terms of having no obvious shortcomings. Kranjcar, Lennon, Crouch, Defoe, Huddlestone. These players weren't world class, but they were highly functional. Similarly I don't think Mignolet, Johnson, Flannagan, Skrtel, Henderson, Coutinho etc are world class. But they are highly functional, in a good system without obvious shortcomings.

Again I'm probably not being totally clear with my posts. I'd be in the same camp as you that I don't actually feel we need 4-5 world class players providing the balance of our side/system compensates. When I say world class I suppose I don't really mean world class, more excellent players for a club at our level.

Regarding the bold, it is indeed absolutely fine, and I agree with that. But I would certainly rather keep the world class left sided player whilst bringing through the world class right-sided player. That is where we have struggled over the years, we've had a few top class players dotted over certain positions but not in the team at the same time. That is what we need to get right, whether that comes from bringing players through, signing new players or holding on to the ones we have.

Well he might not of been at his best this weekend but Christian can look forward to a nice £40k bonus, might somewhat make up for this being the time in his senior career that he won't finish a season with some silverware...

Spurs ace Eriksen set for £40,000 bonus if former club Ajax win Dutch league | Mail Online

@FourFourTweet: Ajax have won the Eredivisie title again! Coach Frank de Boer is the first Ajax boss to ever win it 4 times in a row. pic.twitter.com/P7lXT7pWtQ

@ChrisEriksen8: Congrats Ajax  #landskampioen @AFCAjax #4keeroprij 

The Times reporting that Napoli are "targeting Christian Eriksen although it is thought they only have about £9m to spend"

Will be interesting to see how the mafia get on at Levyball

I'd ignore this rumour. The original story came out of Italy, which means there is very little chance of there being a grain of truth in it

Napoli are a joke in the transfer market, they sniff around all the best players even though they haven't the money to buy them. Then try to sign them on loan. But try and buy one of their players and they quote you £30m+

Napoli are a joke in the transfer market, they sniff around all the best players even though they haven't the money to buy them. Then try to sign them on loan. But try and buy one of their players and they quote you £30m+

....sounds like anyone you know? ;)

[video=youtube;J7xaXyji0ak]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7xaXyji0ak[/video]

[video=youtube;frnycRyTCZ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frnycRyTCZ4[/video]

Last edited:
can anyone say how erisken has played in the last two premier league games?

if he is starting in the middle my guess is he hasnt been playing as well as he could have?

i havent seen any tottenham games recently

Was not in the game enough against wham. But was key in the game yesterday. He almost scored a free kick, keeper beaten, the ball bounced down off the cross bar just the wrong side of the line. I hope he stays fit. For me, he's our best player currently.

can anyone say how erisken has played in the last two premier league games?

if he is starting in the middle my guess is he hasnt been playing as well as he could have?

i havent seen any tottenham games recently

What has playing in the middle, his best position, got to do with him not playing well?

Back