• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

I didn't think either of them had been given a free role. Hopefully the QPR game is the blueprint for the future and that involved all of the front four rotating and switching around.

Speaking of full backs, Chadli seemed to have very promising chemistry with Rose on Sunday. Eriksen never really managed to hit it off with his full back last season.

i would have thought that him and lamela frequently swapping positions would be more indicative of a free role?

but if all that happened was him swapping around with other players without necessarily attacking space then i guess they would have just swapped positions

Might be an idea to watch the QPR game AS, as someone else has mentioned it may be a blueprint for what we are aiming for and it may go some way to answer your questions.

As for last season, sure he looked much better off the left than centrally, but then the whole team seemed to play with more freedom under Sherwood - could well be that it was the change in head coach rather than the role he was given that brought about the improvment

but last season him on the left was loudly brilliant, with more or less the same squad.

would you be okay with him being one of those maestro midfielders that keeps things ticking over and tidy in support of the team rather than him getting into positions to deliver key stats? In essence someone else will have to become the ball player

Light Bulb:- i think i just answered my own question and now know why he may be stuck in the middle

"In essence someone else will have to become the ball player"

we dont have another player like him in our squad currently do we....i.e a modric type

Not sure the last bit is accurate, I think bentalab is closer to modric in style than Ericsson is. Obviously not in terms of quality.

Not sure the last bit is accurate, I think bentalab is closer to modric in style than Ericsson is. Obviously not in terms of quality.

wouldnt you say that bentaleb occupies modric's position in the current line up as opposed to saying that he is more like modric than eriksen?

If you were to list out modric's qualities, eriksen's, and bentaleb i am confident you would find more similarities between modric and eriksen than bentaleb

For me, Eriksen can become our playmaker galore. To do so, however, he simply has to be stronger on the ball physically and demand the game to be his. His talent is absolutely clear, but given that he does not have electric pace, it is precisely his skill which will see him dominate games, and for that to happen as a number 10 he will need greater physical strength on the ball and a stronger presence generally. One of the many things about Luka was that he was tough; you couldn't push him around. Sometimes I still feel Eriksen gets pushed around. So it makes sense to me, for now, that he plays in one of the wider positions as he has a bit less 'total' responsibility to be 'the creator'…personally I love Poch's system up there. Absolutely no doubt at all that those three behind the striker have license to roam and swap positions. It's excellent as it makes man-marking virtually impossible.

I think if anyone can unearth this in Eriksen, Poch is the man…have to say, I am really really excited by what the guy is doing...

^ eriksen had a great first year, but I'm starting to worry about if he can make the next step up. he's a really good player but still short of being a great player. shows incredible skill but and he should be able to take charge or boss a game, setting the tempo, and initiating the play in a sustained manner through the 90 minutes.

it would be a pity if he just stayed on the level where he is today as he has the right tools in his locker, but just needs to learn the confidence - even arrogance - needed to impose himself on the pitch. a good example is lamela in the qpr game - a few skills here and there, an assist or two, but it was his sustained presence on the pitch that caught every journalist's and commentators' eye and heart.

I think his output in terms of stats and what he's achieved in the game so far have been pretty incredible, the guy's 22 and has won titles and 45 caps for Denmark. We all want our players to improve, but making it seem like the lad's letting himself and us down if he continues like last season is a bit harsh considering that the next step up you speak of is the level of a very elite select few in football. No disrespect to the Argentinian but Lamela and Eriksen aren't in the same league at the moment, a no doubt tenacious and effective game against QPR is only a positive but we've seen Eriksen have a same tenacity. Not that it's a competition obviously, it's just great to have talented young players at the club.

i'm not comparing eriksen to lamela, just using lamela's last game as the kind of impact we need from our players to challenge for trophies and titles in the epl.

history with denmark and the eredevisie isn't really much to count, honestly.

he has continued in his development and still remains a player of massive potential, but he must achieve that potential in the next few years, else risk stagnation and fading away like lennon.

wouldnt you say that bentaleb occupies modric's position in the current line up as opposed to saying that he is more like modric than eriksen?

If you were to list out modric's qualities, eriksen's, and bentaleb i am confident you would find more similarities between modric and eriksen than bentaleb

I actually don't agree with that either, even when he was on the left in your famous wonky formation :) modric was never the goal or assist threat that Ericson is neither I think would Nabil. However modric/Nabil was/is much stronger and tougher on the ball than what I have seen that Ericson is/to be. This means that they can operate in the center effectively. Similarly when receiving the ball they open up space almost naturally and immediately to enabling them to recycle possession often in tight spaces in cm, Erickson I haven't seen do this or at least not as much he is more likely to beat a man with an outrageous bit of skill then he would in the way modric and Nabil do (turn away from them/slight jink pass).

Ericson's passing seem more 'final third' to me as well where as nabil and luka are assist thee assiter

Ability to tackle/hold off a man etc etc

As stated earlier luka is world class and Nabil may never reach those heights he is certainly a way way off now. But in terms of style of play, I most certainly see similarities

1.i'm not comparing eriksen to lamela, just using lamela's last game as the kind of impact we need from our players to challenge for trophies and titles in the epl.

2.history with denmark and the eredevisie isn't really much to count, honestly.

3.he has continued in his development and still remains a player of massive potential, but he must achieve that potential in the next few years, else risk stagnation and fading away like lennon.

1. So what you're saying is....To win games and therefore win trophies, we need our players to play well. =D>

And the best example for this is Lamela having a good game against relegation fodder rather than looking at player's who have experience of winning silverwear

2. It's a ****ing lot to count, and it displays your complete ignorance to say it that doesn't. Would you say the same to him in person? Because I think he'd has something to say about that, or potentially he'd just see it not fit for a response.

As if you've used the word honestly there :ross: Ah because you've said you're being honest with me I'll not take in to account a player's history and achievements that I've followed with interested through his career, tell me earlier next time so I don't waste my time observing and learning, I'll just be able to take your word for it, on such topics as international caps and trophies counting for nothing these days. If only you'd have been able to inform him before he wasted his time getting all that experience that turned him in to the player that he is today.

3. This is the kind of posting that gets me on this place...

Translation - He's been doing great. Still has room to improve. But despite being 22 and achieving so much already for some reason the next few years are the make and break for his entire career, either be best in the world or fade away like Lennon, a player that has pretty much no similarities in situation, history, playing style (bar playing for the same team) etc etc.

With these razor sharp comparisons and on point observations, have you considered working as a journalist for the Daily Mail? Get your CV over there because they're really in to the whole misguided or just saying things for the hell of it kind of vibe

Last edited:
No I'm a Spurs fan who also happens to be annoyed by ignorance. Fancy replying to my post properly or not so much? I always like to know how people get to the conclusions they do, it's fascinating sometimes

so you're a psychologist? is this a test or what? i find it difficult to respond to the way you try to question the use of each word, or each logical point, without trying to understand how it builds up to an argument.

so you choose to disagree first. that makes you a sociopath. i try to ignore sociopaths. so have no intention to respond to your hardworked post. Sorry !

so you're a psychologist? is this a test or what? i find it difficult to respond to the way you try to question the use of each word, or each logical point, without trying to understand how it builds up to an argument.

so you choose to disagree first. that makes you a sociopath. i try to ignore sociopaths. so have no intention to respond to your hardworked post. Sorry !

You're not going to respond because I've questioned the words that you've used, and the points you've made on an online football forum...

Could not make it up.

Doing a great job here though buddy keep it up, the big 5000's on the horizon and I'll be there for the big "quantity not quality" shindig if I'm invited \o/

Please can you draw a line under this argument and move on fellas. If you want to go at each other hammer and tong, please take this to PM. Thanks

Please can you draw a line under this argument and move on fellas. If you want to go at each other hammer and tong, please take this to PM. Thanks

There's no argument here, he/she made a post and I questioned it and haven't got an answer yet but it looks like it's going to stay that way. If anything, by posting here you've extended whatever it is anyway as I doubt he/she would have replied.

But to bring it back to Eriksen, I'm still kind of in awe of the fact we signed him, should have sunk in by now but still has a very beautiful element of unbelievability to it as he's a player that has caught my eye for many years. He has that moment of silky grace in him but also has shown very natural goal scoring instincts - which was my only worry as one could say scoring goals in the Dutch league is easier but he's made the transition and long may he do his thing at our club.

But to bring it back to Eriksen, I'm still kind of in awe of the fact we signed him, should have sunk in by now but still has a very beautiful element of unbelievability to it as he's a player that has caught my eye for many years. He has that moment of silky grace in him but also has shown very natural goal scoring instincts - which was my only worry as one could say scoring goals in the Dutch league is easier but he's made the transition and long may he do his thing at our club.

and so this is it.

i don't disagree that he is a beautiful piece of work. talented boy. scores a few too. punctuates the game with wonderful skills.

imo however he still stays out of the game far too often for someone with his talent.

sorry to disagree with you.

Personally I think his best position is in central midfield, and that is definitely where he'll finish his career.
But he's a huge goal threat if he plays further forward.
I think if Poch had another creative number 10 he'd move him back but he feels the team needs him playing where he is now.

Like many have said his best goal return would be from playing on the left cutting in. But would he best be able to support the rest of the team playing there? We've also seen him been marked out of the game and failing to get space playing from that position.
I think his current role rotating with the Lamela and Chadli means he is able to find space easier, and there's more options because of the movement off the ball of the front 4.

Personally I think his best position is in central midfield, and that is definitely where he'll finish his career.
But he's a huge goal threat if he plays further forward.
I think if Poch had another creative number 10 he'd move him back but he feels the team needs him playing where he is now.

Like many have said his best goal return would be from playing on the left cutting in. But would he best be able to support the rest of the team playing there? We've also seen him been marked out of the game and failing to get space playing from that position.
I think his current role rotating with the Lamela and Chadli means he is able to find space easier, and there's more options because of the movement off the ball of the front 4.

So suddenly our best player from last season where we had 2 managers and played terrible football overall yet he shone and got plaudits from just about everyone (spurs fans, rival fans and pundits) is suddenly no longer up to the task and isn't developing quickly enough. Absolutely laughable, he's been our best player for the last season, is only 22 and still getting better.

Back