• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

@nayimfromthehalfwayline I think last summer he would have jumped at the chance of leaving us for the right club, the only problem being Levy would have probably priced him out of a move, because sometimes, not all the time, just sometimes, that is what Levy does.

In the same vein he priced Janssen out of a move last year before he got injured. So we paid him a year's salary and just sold him for less money.

For the record, unlike you I have no problem with Eriksen going on a free if he chooses to.

I have stated, categorically, I have no issue with Eriksen personally.

Your solution appears to be for Levy to scew the club over just to avoid the possibility of losing a player on a free two years later.

That might make sense to you, it certainly doesnt to me - and I am grateful Levy is yet to follow up on your idea.

@nayimfromthehalfwayline I think last summer he would have jumped at the chance of leaving us for the right club, the only problem being Levy would have probably priced him out of a move, because sometimes, not all the time, just sometimes, that is what Levy does.

In the same vein he priced Janssen out of a move last year before he got injured. So we paid him a year's salary and just sold him for less money.

For the record, unlike you I have no problem with Eriksen going on a free if he chooses to.

Who has levy ever priced out of a move?
He has always sold at the peak and got the best possible price for our players.
That's the proper thing to do for our club, and we should be grateful that he's so fudging good at it.

Why would a player be open to moving with 2 years left on his contract if he has already decided to see it out in this manner?

With 2 years left a player is more likely to agree to move to another club for higher wages and to win trophies, it is easier to see out a contract when you have just one year left

It's better in my mind and makes far more sense to sell Eriksen for 30-60m and reinvest that money into the club today than it does to keep him for another season and lose him on a free. At that point we gain 0 from a transfer and still need to deal with Levy being unwilling to pay the market rate for a Eriksen replacement.

If the player on the other hand is saying as has been suggested that if he doesn't get his move he will sign a new deal then cool keep him but we would be relying on his word that come the end of the window he would sign that extension. I would prefer to not leave that to chance to be completely honest.

I mean exactly that. If Eriksen were looking like signing, you think it better to sell him anyway?

If he doesnt want to go anywhere, we cant sell him. If he doesnt want to sign a deal, we dont have any way of making money off of him. Its that simple, we are powerless in the situation.

If you are a key player in your twenties I will offer you a new contract with 3 years to go if I want you to stay just as Levy did with Kane, Son and Dele. That gives him more than enough time to not only "look like signing" but to actually sign a new contract. Failing that I would sell him if necessary. And the good thing is unlike Gareth Bale at Madrid, Eriksen is probably only on £70K-80K so he would jump at signing for a club who can treble his wages and where he can challenge for titles.

And you think - I assume - he would just go? Rather than sit out his deal exactly as he has done?

He says he wants to move. The the only reason he has not is because the "right" team has not come in for him. I laughed at the beginning of the window when I heard of rumours of £80 - there was not a chance in hell of that happening, last summer maybe but not now. It really depends on how much we want for him and whether we would consider selling to rivals in this league. Man Utd for instance offered more money than Madrid for Bale but Levy did not want to sell him to a league rival.

It's better in my mind and makes far more sense to sell Eriksen for 30-60m and reinvest that money into the club today than it does to keep him for another season and lose him on a free. At that point we gain 0 from a transfer and still need to deal with Levy being unwilling to pay the market rate for a Eriksen replacement.

If the player on the other hand is saying as has been suggested that if he doesn't get his move he will sign a new deal then cool keep him but we would be relying on his word that come the end of the window he would sign that extension. I would prefer to not leave that to chance to be completely honest.

Indeed, he could sign a new contract tomorrow, or he could like Campbell string out negotiations until it was too late. As you know in 6 months he could sign pre contract agreement with Barca, Madrid or Juventus

Why would a player be open to moving with 2 years left on his contract if he has already decided to see it out in this manner?

Because two years is a longer time to spend at a club than one, and a lot more can happen in two years. Injuries, form, personal matters, etc.

Planning two years ahead is harder for players, since it's literally about one-sixth (give or take) of their careers. But a year? They can probably plan for a year.

Because two years is a longer time to spend at a club than one, and a lot more can happen in two years. Injuries, form, personal matters, etc.

Planning two years ahead is harder for players, since it's literally about one-sixth (give or take) of their careers. But a year? They can probably plan for a year.

I think what applies for a year applies for two in the circumstance whereby a teams key player has decided to see out his current contract in order to benefit from bring a free transfer.

Funny tho now that the criticism is that we aren't selling our top players :D

Worth noting that neither Eriksen or Alderweireld were pushing for transfers last season (2 years remaining) at least not enough to generate any substantial news stories, so id argue that'd suggest it was as much a plan then as it is now

I think what applies for a year applies for two in the circumstance whereby a teams key player has decided to see out his current contract in order to benefit from bring a free transfer.

Funny tho now that the criticism is that we aren't selling our top players :D

Oh, I'm not criticizing. Its football-wide - Juve and Bayern seem like the two teams in Europe who have cottoned on before the rest.

But there is a difference between 1 and 2 years, imo. As I said, a lot can happen over two years - makes planning two years ahead a lot more dangerous. Less so over just one season.

If he wants a move to Madrid, he's got the perfect chance to show what he can do tonight. They have been awful against Fenerbahce.

Oh, I'm not criticizing. Its football-wide - Juve and Bayern seem like the two teams in Europe who have cottoned on before the rest.

But there is a difference between 1 and 2 years, imo. As I said, a lot can happen over two years - makes planning two years ahead a lot more dangerous. Less so over just one season.

See my edit above mate, last season with 2 years left on their deal neither player seemed to be looking for a move away, so id suggest if it's a plan now to leave on a free it most likely was then as well

I mentioned a name in my post you quoted
Jansen, the payer we've just sold at a loss if I'm not mistaken, not a great example.
And I could be wrong (it does happen) but but Jansen not decide to stay and fight for his place rather than us not wanting to let him go cheap?
Time flies and I might be running two seasons together there.

See my edit above mate, last season with 2 years left on their deal neither player seemed to be looking for a move away, so id suggest if it's a plan now to leave on a free it most likely was then as well

Not true. At the beginning of this summer the plan was Eriksen wanted to move this summer, not on a free however either no bids have been made or if they have they not been made at a level acceptable to Levy. Also there was no evidence that Levy wanted to sell Eriksen last summer anyway.

As for Toby, well he had a £25m clause and if a top club had made a bid he would have left and he would not be leaving on a free in the summer.

Jansen, the payer we've just sold at a loss if I'm not mistaken, not a great example.
And I could be wrong (it does happen) but but Jansen not decide to stay and fight for his place rather than us not wanting to let him go cheap?
Time flies and I might be running two seasons together there.

But that was the exact point I was making dude, we would have made a loss last season but we would have sold him for more money than we did this summer but Levy wanted more money than we sold for this summer. And we also had to pay his wages for the past year.

Back