• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

The most logical thing from Eriksen would be to wait until January and then leave on a free. He could get 500k a week for doing that, which would be miles above whatever we could offer him.

Honestly, I think Levy and Poch are getting played by Eriksen, Toby and Jan. Ramsey and Rabiot were the harbingers of a new age - footballers are now so obscenely well-paid and transfer fees so expensive that many of them would rather just run down their contracts and leave at the peak of their value to maximise their own revenues and minimize sunken costs for the clubs that do acquire them. This goes for both good players and brick players - it was predicted when the Bosman ruling came in, but it's only now, with the advent of a new generation of more educated footballers and supporting staff (agents, lawyers, etc) that it's being put into practice.

The rest of football, Levy included, hasn't seen this coming. Clubs and chairmen have yet to react to it. And the future is one of lower transfer fees, more ubiquitous release clauses, and more free transfers.

I suspect that will start being felt more in coming years - there are a lot of contracts running down over the next couple of years, but only the very biggest/richest clubs will be able to renew them.

And clubs will learn to treat the 2-year mark on a contract as the new 1-year mark - the effective maximum 'sell-by' date.

We're probably going to get burned on at least one of Toby, Jan and Eriksen on this - maybe two, maybe all three. Likewise for players we don't want, like Rose and N'Koudou.
Can see the point with Eriksen as he is still relatively young. It is a very risky strategy for Toby and Jan given they are both over 30 and will not have clubs falling over themselves to sign them up on huge wages, with the exception of China of course.

Honestly, I think Levy and Poch are getting played by Eriksen, Toby and Jan.

I could not disagree with you more.

Eriksen has made it clear that he wants to move on. If he does not move it is because the clubs he wants to join are not coming in for him at a price Levy is happy to sell. Now if I were Eriksen I would simply refuse to sign a new contract and leave on a free next summer. Eriksen has not made any promises that he will sign a new contract so I would suggest it is wrong to say he is "playing" management.

I do not think Jan is playing anyone. He is indicated he is happy at Spurs and there is nothing to suggest that we have offered him a contract and he has refused to sign. If anything, he is 32 years old and we have refused to make a commitment to him by offering him a new contract.

Again it is naive to suggest that Toby is playing Levy and Poch, on the contrary he has made it clear over the past year that he would not be signing a new contract, in fact we knew this last summer. We also knew he could go for £25m but no one one came in for him. Now he has committed himself for the upcoming season which means unless we accept a bid over the next 9 days he can start the season with us. It is obvious that he is looking to leave on a free but this is not a surprise, he has been upfront.

Can see the point with Eriksen as he is still relatively young. It is a very risky strategy for Toby and Jan given they are both over 30 and will not have clubs falling over themselves to sign them up on huge wages, with the exception of China of course.

The worry has to be that with this being Silva's last season, he will rock up in Manchester next summer...

I could not disagree with you more.

Eriksen has made it clear that he wants to move on. If he does not move it is because the clubs he wants to join are not coming in for him at a price Levy is happy to sell. Now if I were Eriksen I would simply refuse to sign a new contract and leave on a free next summer. Eriksen has not made any promises that he will sign a new contract so I would suggest it is wrong to say he is "playing" management.

I do not think Jan is playing anyone. He is indicated he is happy at Spurs and there is nothing to suggest that we have offered him a contract and he has refused to sign. If anything, he is 32 years old and we have refused to make a commitment to him by offering him a new contract.

Again it is naive to suggest that Toby is playing Levy and Poch, on the contrary he has made it clear over the past year that he would not be signing a new contract, in fact we knew this last summer. We also knew he could go for £25m but no one one came in for him. Now he has committed himself for the upcoming season which means unless we accept a bid over the next 9 days he can start the season with us. It is obvious that he is looking to leave on a free but this is not a surprise, he has been upfront.

I'm with you on this

- Eriksen wants to move to a "top tier" club, none have come in for him, his best bet is to have as little time on the contract to make him as attractive as possible for those clubs at some point (they may not want to pay 70M, but most would take him on a small/free and then he would back his ability to be a starter). His biggest risk is we buy someone to replace him, his contract runs out and he doesn't have another club he finds attractive to go to. Remember from a book perspective we don't need to recoup money from Eriksen, his (what 14M?) value has long since be written down.

- Jan has said he wants to play with Spurs as long as he can physically do so, we don't offer long term contracts to players over 30, so I suspect this is a play it by season approach, I could see if he stay fit/form we give year by year extensions.

- Toby is an odd one, either he is being extremely picky about where he wants to go, or I'm completely confused why no one took up the 25M clause (in a world where Harry Maquire goes for 80M). I think he was led on at some point, created some friction but he's been a pro.

Thing people need to understand with Eriksen, Jan, Toby & Rose is these guys have all given something like 6-7+ of their best years to Spurs, cost peanuts and have been paid peanuts for most of that time (relative to what other clubs lower than Spurs pay), if in the end they go for a last hurrah for a free, I'm not sure I see an issue, especially if they help transition their potential replacements.

It's very different from a 24/25 year old who we have invested heavily in and not gotten the years of service out of, leaving on a free.

I dont care how long they have been there, it doesnt change the situation. Its the same if theyve been here 10 years or 2.

That situation being they have all (so far) refused to sign new deals and are running down their contracts.

In doing so they deprive the club of making profit on their departure, to their own personal benefit.

I dont care how long they have been there, it doesnt change the situation. Its the same if theyve been here 10 years or 2.

That situation being they have all (so far) refused to sign new deals and are running down their contracts.

In doing so they deprive the club of making profit on their departure, to their own personal benefit.

Agreed, however in the best interest of the club

- Is it better to have Rose, Eriksen, Toby for one more season (first full season of new stadium, plus first season after making CL final) or
- Making 120M in sales to have to re-invest at today's market prices and hope to integrate their replacements in quickly?

My opinion, each year of consecutive CL we make (and take away from one of our rivals), exponentially improves the club's position, and I have no doubt having those 3 or 4 players this season give us a much better chance of achieving that over any replacements we would have purchased.

Agreed, however in the best interest of the club

- Is it better to have Rose, Eriksen, Toby for one more season (first full season of new stadium, plus first season after making CL final) or
- Making 120M in sales to have to re-invest at today's market prices and hope to integrate their replacements in quickly?

My opinion, each year of consecutive CL we make (and take away from one of our rivals), exponentially improves the club's position, and I have no doubt having those 3 or 4 players this season give us a much better chance of achieving that over any replacements we would have purchased.

Thats a completely different conversation.

Dubai said we were getting played, not that we might get more value from keeping them.

And while "getting played" has a rather negative slant, its not really untrue. The players hold all the cards and are using them to suit themselves and not the club.

As to value? Id keep Alderweireld and Vertonghen and sell Eriksen.

I'm with you on this

- Eriksen wants to move to a "top tier" club, none have come in for him, his best bet is to have as little time on the contract to make him as attractive as possible for those clubs at some point (they may not want to pay 70M, but most would take him on a small/free and then he would back his ability to be a starter). His biggest risk is we buy someone to replace him, his contract runs out and he doesn't have another club he finds attractive to go to. Remember from a book perspective we don't need to recoup money from Eriksen, his (what 14M?) value has long since be written down.

- Jan has said he wants to play with Spurs as long as he can physically do so, we don't offer long term contracts to players over 30, so I suspect this is a play it by season approach, I could see if he stay fit/form we give year by year extensions.

- Toby is an odd one, either he is being extremely picky about where he wants to go, or I'm completely confused why no one took up the 25M clause (in a world where Harry Maquire goes for 80M). I think he was led on at some point, created some friction but he's been a pro.

Thing people need to understand with Eriksen, Jan, Toby & Rose is these guys have all given something like 6-7+ of their best years to Spurs, cost peanuts and have been paid peanuts for most of that time (relative to what other clubs lower than Spurs pay), if in the end they go for a last hurrah for a free, I'm not sure I see an issue, especially if they help transition their potential replacements.

It's very different from a 24/25 year old who we have invested heavily in and not gotten the years of service out of, leaving on a free.

They maybe getting paid peanuts, but they have all had opportunities to sign new contracts with better pay. The fact they haven't is on them, not the club.

Exactly. I have little love for such.

There’s no loyalty in football, generally speaking. You know the old saying “look after yourself cos no one else will”. It applies even more so in football. Managers are sacked after a run of bad results. Players are sold when clubs don’t want them. It’s certainly admirable when players sign long term contract extensions assuming there has been some conversation in the background regarding the possibility of being sold in the future I.e. “sign a contract and we will get more money for you but we won’t stand in your way if a bigger club want to sign you”. But I also don’t blame players for running their contracts down and looking after themselves.

To me, when a player runs his contract down it is because either the club doesn’t want him (Llorente) or he wants to move on (Eriksen)

I should say, Ive no personal gripe against these guys. What will be will be, they are well within their rights.

I do find it disappointing though that the club gets dingdonged around in the process.

So much about running a club is about planning ahead, and right now in case of our key attacking fulcrum and CB pairing, the poor fudger hasnt a clue what to do, what he needs to buy, what money he has available...

Werner urged to make decision on future
RB Leipzig chief executive Oliver Mintzlaff says the time has come for Liverpool-linked forward Timo Werner to make a decision on his future.

The Germany international has stalled on signing a new deal and now has just one year remaining on his contract with the Bundesliga side.

Werner - who has scored 61 goals in 114 appearances for Leipzig - has long been touted as a possible new addition for Liverpool , where he would line up alongside his former Leipzig teammate Naby Keita.

Bayern Munich, too, are said to have been hot on the heels of the 23-year-old, who has scored 10 goals in 25 appearances for Germany and is seen as one of the leading lights of the new generation of the country’s players.

Its not just us its happening to...

Werner urged to make decision on future
RB Leipzig chief executive Oliver Mintzlaff says the time has come for Liverpool-linked forward Timo Werner to make a decision on his future.

The Germany international has stalled on signing a new deal and now has just one year remaining on his contract with the Bundesliga side.

Werner - who has scored 61 goals in 114 appearances for Leipzig - has long been touted as a possible new addition for Liverpool , where he would line up alongside his former Leipzig teammate Naby Keita.

Bayern Munich, too, are said to have been hot on the heels of the 23-year-old, who has scored 10 goals in 25 appearances for Germany and is seen as one of the leading lights of the new generation of the country’s players.

Its not just us its happening to...

Which was my point. This is the beginning of a new era in football transfers, the clubs just don't see it yet. If they had, we would have seen a lot more sales at the 2-year mark last year.

If a player signs a 5 year contract then all they need to do is honour their contract which at the moment both Toby and Eriksen are doing. Maybe Eriksen is wondering why the heck should the club benefit from his departure and not him. If Spurs wanted to make money from his departure they should have sold him last summer or the year before.

Which was my point. This is the beginning of a new era in football transfers, the clubs just don't see it yet. If they had, we would have seen a lot more sales at the 2-year mark last year.

Indeed, Juventus and Bayern are masters at signing quality players on a free.

I should say, Ive no personal gripe against these guys. What will be will be, they are well within their rights.

I do find it disappointing though that the club gets dingdonged around in the process.

So much about running a club is about planning ahead, and right now in case of our key attacking fulcrum and CB pairing, the poor fudger hasnt a clue what to do, what he needs to buy, what money he has available...

I do not blame the players at all. Levy got Dele, Son and Kane signed up at the right time. The moment Eriksen refused to sign we at risk of being in this situation

Its naive to think clubs dont see it. Of course they do. If we can sitting on a forum do you honestly think it comes as a surprise to Levy?

The thing is - the clubs are powerless to stop it. Which is not the same as not seeing it.

We have been trying to get these players to sign contracts, to mitigate this exact circumstance, for a long time.

If a player signs a 5 year contract then all they need to do is honour their contract which at the moment both Toby and Eriksen are doing. Maybe Eriksen is wondering why the heck should the club benefit from his departure and not him. If Spurs wanted to make money from his departure they should have sold him last summer or the year before.

And if Eriksen was making positive noises about staying at that time?

And if Eriksen was making positive noises about staying at that time?

You mean if Eriksen was making positive noises about signing a new contract just as Sol Campbell did back in the day? When ENIC took over Levy said what happened to Spurs re Campbell would never happen again. So fcuk positive sounds, he signs or we sell or we get use to key players walking in a free.

You mean if Eriksen was making positive noises about signing a new contract just as Sol Campbell did back in the day? When ENIC took over Levy said what happened to Spurs re Campbell would never happen again. So fcuk positive sounds, he signs or we sell or we get use to key players walking in a free.

I mean exactly that. If Eriksen were looking like signing, you think it better to sell him anyway?

And you think - I assume - he would just go? Rather than sit out his deal exactly as he has done?

If he doesnt want to go anywhere, we cant sell him. If he doesnt want to sign a deal, we dont have any way of making money off of him. Its that simple, we are powerless in the situation.

Back