• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

Just had a look over at a Villa forum to gauge their oppinion on Benteke, and everyone there seems to believe that he has signed for us and will be anounced in the coming days. Is there something I haven't picked up on here?

Not really, I guess they're just taking the pessimistic side.

Just had a look over at a Villa forum to gauge their oppinion on Benteke, and everyone there seems to believe that he has signed for us and will be anounced in the coming days. Is there something I haven't picked up on here?

seems that rumor is coming from a Spurs forum

Rumours floating around on the Spurs forums :

Benteke sold for £23m
5 year deal
£85k p/w

from an AV fan thread elsewhere

If we are talking about Pavlyuchenko then you're right. He was worse than that. I'm still bemused how a professional footballer, let alone one playing in the top flight and playing up front, could have such a terrible first touch. Almost every time the ball was played to him you just knew he had to shoot and score, because if he didn't within 10 seconds Spurs wouldn't have it anymore unless the ball broke kind to one of our runners.

Absolute fallacy about Pav's poor first touch.

So in my opinion Benteke is worth a punt at £15m in case he is the next big thing. Anything more than that and its one hell of a risk and not one I'd be comfortable the club taking. Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project, Man Utd etc. can afford to blow £20m on a flop. We can't. That right now is the fundamental difference. £20m on a flop could set us back two or three seasons. It's a fine line Baldini walks, and I certainly don't envy him in his new job.

I don't really agree with the argument he is a risk. His wages will not be astronomical, so we won't be in a situation where if he's rubbish we won't be able to shift him and he'll bleed us dry as he's also still young so we'll more than likely be able to sell him on again, if he is terrible.

But most importantly I think it's a situation where we need a striker and looking at the market he appears to be the best available TO US. There clearly our other strikers about but whether we can attract or afford them is a different story, not getting him is a far greater risk as we once again won't have a striker.

He looks like exactly the type of striker we need, he was great in the prem last year, we can afford him, he's young and he's going to be playing next year with the World Cup in the summer so he's going to be desperate to get in ahead of Lukaku.

I just can't see why people wouldn't want him bar just being scared of how much he costs.

We're the team that is linked heaviest, and it doesn't look like the demand from the big guns is there for him. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a deadline day transfer though, rather than sooner. It's a bit of a stand off between how much we're willing to pay and how much Villa want. It's a game of chicken, and Levy is master at that.

Yeah, that's been my take on it aswell.

This was funny though

The move to spurs makes no sense. Even spurs fans have to admit that they are no better or worse than Villa and the only difference is that Villa have had a few dips the past couple of seasons.

Every team has it's deluded fans I suppose.

Absolute fallacy about Pav's poor first touch.

Lol, you must have been watching a different Pav, nothing ever stuck with him, he could not play at all with his back to goal, I have some happy memories of Pav but instant control is not one of them, anyway it's next year we have to worry about, spoke to a mate who was at Swindon, Defoe was his usual self, we need somebody.

I don't really agree with the argument he is a risk. His wages will not be astronomical, so we won't be in a situation where if he's rubbish we won't be able to shift him and he'll bleed us dry as he's also still young so we'll more than likely be able to sell him on again, if he is terrible.

But most importantly I think it's a situation where we need a striker and looking at the market he appears to be the best available TO US. There clearly our other strikers about but whether we can attract or afford them is a different story, not getting him is a far greater risk as we once again won't have a striker.

He looks like exactly the type of striker we need, he was great in the prem last year, we can afford him, he's young and he's going to be playing next year with the World Cup in the summer so he's going to be desperate to get in ahead of Lukaku.

I just can't see why people wouldn't want him bar just being scared of how much he costs.

Because they've seen expensive players flop before. And Spurs simply cannot afford for an expensive player to flop.

Because people have watched him play and have differing opinions on players.

But hardly anyone that doesn't really want him hasn't stated a footballing reason why they feel this way(in terms of his ability).

But hardly anyone that doesn't really want him hasn't stated a footballing reason why they feel this way(in terms of his ability).

My main issue is that we didn't get him before for 6m, we don't seem to take those kind of gambles...

Also another worry for me is the pressure that would be on his shoulders to instantly succeed and the knives that tend to come out if he doesn't but I am all for signing him at a price which would suit both parties.

That's because of the dross CFs which we have. Question is can we get better than him? Probably not.

So we either 1) get benteke, albeit for probably a higher price than most are comfortable with, 2) stick with what we have or 3) spend less than benteke's price on others, though accept that they're a bigger risk and bigger chance that they won't be better than what we hve and therefore will be a hinderance to us succeeding rather than help us succeed

That's because the main reason not to buy him (if Villa are going to be stupid about price) is financial.

Because they've seen expensive players flop before. And Spurs simply cannot afford for an expensive player to flop.

If we bought any player it's because we can afford it that's clear from the way spurs a run. If people are scared of us buying an expensive flop I guess the only option then is to buy someone cheap who'll probably be average but maybe be great, like Bony would have been but he's gone now and I'd prefer us to show more ambition. He's less of a risk than any of the other players we're linked with that are non PL surely as he'll cost less wage wise and has proved he can cut it.

Also I bet if this was Lukaku more people would want him. There is this ineffable quality to transfer targets that some fans want and is based on absolutely nothing. It's almost like some signing aren't 'cool' or something and it doesn't matter what stats you show, or how much you can just watch a player be really good it just isn't enough because they want Saldado say who they've seen play maybe 4 times and have browsed on Wikipedia.

How can your opinion possible be: 'I'd rather not have that guy who scored 19 premier league goals'

We are not buying 19 goals, we are buying a player that may or may not fit well in our team. Look around the forum and I think you'll find that the majority don't want a guy that scored 17 PL goals the season before last.

Bingo!!!!! I don't understand why there are those to bothered about a few mil here or there either????? its not our money and if its absolutely do-able we should press ahead.

none of us know the finances and none of us want to do a leeds, pompey and so on.

I really don't want to believe that we were happy to outlay 17m on a midfielder where it was obvious to every w**k*r and his dog that we are DESPERATLY lacking in the forward department I wont believe our board is that thick!!!!!!!!! we dithered and ummmd and ahhhhd over Villa as he is quoted as saying, we weren't 100% into him but I think Levy is with Benteke....!!!!

I can guarantee that the poster's raising financial concerns will and have moaned about us not buying a striker in jan last year or moaning because Levy doesn't get deals done. will these same posters please give us other options than benteke???????? no this transfer is the perfect fit for club and player. I don't want us moaning that we have ignored the striker situation 3 years in a row.

if we dither we will miss out...Napoli are flush and he must be on their radar, arse and Chelsea are watching......any messing around and trying to be clever over 1-2m will be fatal!!!!!

and in terms of creating positivity around the club and excitement through fans lets get this deal done...nice and early so he can settle with less pressure rather than being a late signing.

I absolutely believe we CAN afford this deal and not put the club in jeopardy!!!!!! is there anyone out there who thinks we are stupid enough to blow most of our kitty on one midfielder when we are in desperate need of firepower????????

Back