• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

oh and welcome n9 tel and ruducus......good to have new posters - fresh opinions. specially as they are pro benteke...lol

breathes heavily..........

Bingo!!!!! I don't understand why there are those to bothered about a few mil here or there either????? its not our money and if its absolutely do-able we should press ahead.

none of us know the finances and none of us want to do a leeds, pompey and so on.

I really don't want to believe that we were happy to outlay 17m on a midfielder where it was obvious to every w**k*r and his dog that we are DESPERATLY lacking in the forward department I wont believe our board is that thick!!!!!!!!! we dithered and ummmd and ahhhhd over Villa as he is quoted as saying, we weren't 100% into him but I think Levy is with Benteke....!!!!

I can guarantee that the poster's raising financial concerns will and have moaned about us not buying a striker in jan last year or moaning because Levy doesn't get deals done. will these same posters please give us other options than benteke???????? no this transfer is the perfect fit for club and player. I don't want us moaning that we have ignored the striker situation 3 years in a row.

if we dither we will miss out...Napoli are flush and he must be on their radar, arse and Chelsea are watching......any messing around and trying to be clever over 1-2m will be fatal!!!!!

and in terms of creating positivity around the club and excitement through fans lets get this deal done...nice and early so he can settle with less pressure rather than being a late signing.

I absolutely believe we CAN afford this deal and not put the club in jeopardy!!!!!! is there anyone out there who thinks we are stupid enough to blow most of our kitty on one midfielder when we are in desperate need of firepower????????

In a way it is our money as we are the ones being fleeced for tickets and shirts and what not.

I do not complain about Levy, in fact I support his approach to transfers.

The bit bold: Absolutely not true. He is too expensive, which is why I think we're trying to structure the deal to minimize our losses in case it doesn't work out, ie. as little as possible up front (£15 million or less probably) and the sell on percentage.

There's no chance of us doing a Leeds, but if we tie up £25 million in one player there'll be very little left to play with in the next few windows. There's no escape if he fails (poor form, injury etc.).

My main reason for not wanting him is of course the fee, but also because I don't think he's that good. I'd rather bring in someone from outside the PL (Bony or similar) for half the price to be competition for Ade.

In a way it is our money as we are the ones being fleeced for tickets and shirts and what not.

I do not complain about Levy, in fact I support his approach to transfers.

The bit bold: Absolutely not true. He is too expensive, which is why I think we're trying to structure the deal to minimize our losses in case it doesn't work out, ie. as little as possible up front (£15 million or less probably) and the sell on percentage.

There's no chance of us doing a Leeds, but if we tie up £25 million in one player there'll be very little left to play with in the next few windows. There's no escape if he fails (poor form, injury etc.).

My main reason for not wanting him is of course the fee, but also because I don't think he's that good. I'd rather bring in someone from outside the PL (Bony or similar) for half the price to be competition for Ade.

muchos respectus to your opinion dude.....

the overly cautious approach has not really served us well these last few years has it? I don't know about you but not being the best that we can be really sits like a slimy turd with me!
Yes lets not buy him because we may have to shell out a few more millions.....lets fail to grasp another opportunity at pushing for the big time, I would rather we had some cojones did whatever we possibly could to show bale & co we mean business.

Bony has gone to Swansea so please offer another alternative.....

what happens if we don't buy players because we worry about poor form, one season wonder, injury etc.......what happens is the best players go to our rivals and we stagnate like the bog of eternal stench........

SORRY don't want it to happen I want us to push the premier league as hard as we can......I cant make people see potential.........or the need for acting decisively.........all I can do is open my heart as a spurs fan and say to you that I want us to succeed as badly as anyone.........see a problem......see a fix..........and act..........we need a striker who scores goals...........Benteke is the likely solution with ENORMOUS potemntial...........don't fanny around and get the deal done.

if you don't rate him fair do's but do explain the footballing reasons you have seen to put weight behind your opinion please.

The footballing reasons have been given though:

Playing as a lone forward for Villa IS different than doing it for Spurs. Villa's plan is basically to get the ball to him and see what he can do, with us it will be a different style as we like to pass the ball around more and we're not as direct. It seems AVB might be going for a more direct approach, but we're rarely given the room to just waltz through opposition defences. Physically he is very good, but I just don't think Benteke possesses enough of a brain to be a superior option to Ade or a long term solution for us.

He's not brick, he's pretty good, but nowhere near good enough or proven enough for us to pay much more than £15 million.

And there's of course his **** agent and all the crap we're going to get from him.

Playing as a lone forward for Villa IS different than doing it for Spurs. Villa's plan is basically to get the ball to him and see what he can do, with us it will be a different style as we like to pass the ball around more and we're not as direct. It seems AVB might be going for a more direct approach, but we're rarely given the room to just waltz through opposition defences. Physically he is very good, but I just don't think Benteke possesses enough of a brain to be a superior option to Ade or a long term solution for us.

He's not brick, he's pretty good, but nowhere near good enough or proven enough for us to pay much more than £15 million.

And there's of course his **** agent and all the crap we're going to get from him.

I agree about his agent and I don't think benteke is the most honourable character but he doesn't strike me as a player who would suffer from low confidence....he is arrogant but has the ability to back it up........if in a years time he does the same to us levy is cute enough to ensure we still benefit financially.

Spurs plan A is to get Bale on the ball because our strikers are so ineffective......wouldn't it be nice to have an alternative......movement is key and what defoe and ade are not giving us.......this guy puts himself about and his movement looks good enough to give us the space we need when teams are parking the bus....not to mention we would have the option of hitting in a cross knowing that benteke is awesome in the air....look at his movement for goal vs everton at goodison.

This idea that teams don't bother defending against villa is rubbish they might push forward more but the game of footie ebbs and flows and its absurd to think Benteke would suddenly become poo because teams sit deep...... we will be effective next year playing short passing direct style then counter attack as dominating teams for 90 mins aint possible anyway.

No Benteke cant pass like xavi but he has the prowess to give cb's nightmare - its obvious we want to steamroll teams rather than playing tika tacca if not then we would have bought pjanic over paulinho, I cant prove Benteke will be a success for us.......who knows which one of us is right.....but everything in my head tells me he is exactly what we need.

If you want to see the future, look to the past. Nikica Jelavić scored in 5 consecutive away games for Everton in 2012..many here were moaning why we did not get him after a superb season for Rangers...and he has now been dropped and is on his way out at Everton.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikica_Jelavić

which has absolutely no bearing on how benteke's career will go.....but its a fair point nonetheless.

again its all down to what you see (in benteke) and where you think his career will go. I will stick my neck out and say if he plays with us he will be amongst the goals matching or bettering his tally last season.

we have to sign one striker eventually, it would be easy for me to compare any player you may rate that we are looking to sign to a flopped player....not so easy as posting who I think we can get as a decent striker and reasons why they fit the bill.

I knew Jelavic wasn't good enough after watching him play for Rapid Vienna for a couple of seasons. Some gave me grief when he scored against us at Goodison a couple of seasons ago but it was obvious to everyone he would never be the required quality. Its quite clear Benteke is in a different league to Jelavic.

Edit: sorry if my point was irrelevant - ive just tried to wade into a thread at 3am after stumbling in tinkled after a couple of beers after work. 8-[

Last edited:
I just hope Benteke's first touch is good because that in my opinion is what we are missing up front. Not since Berbs have we had a guy who can hold it up and bring others into play like Lennon, Bale and Dembele.

No doubting his strength, pace and shooting/heading ability is that of a 20m plus player.

We play fast direct football though and if he's going to fit in well with that he's going to have to work with others around him rather than simply doing it by himself.

I don't see why some here are arrogant to think we have a completely different style of play to Aston Villa, they play football they were just a bit of a soft touch. You say Villa's plan was to get the ball to Benteke and see what he could do. The way some talk on here you'd think we played like Barcelona. Let's be honest, our style was give the ball to Bale and see what he could do.No difference whatsoever....

I don't see why some here are arrogant to think we have a completely different style of play to Aston Villa, they play football they were just a bit of a soft touch. You say Villa's plan was to get the ball to Benteke and see what he could do. The way some talk on here you'd think we played like Barcelona. Let's be honest, our style was give the ball to Bale and see what he could do.No difference whatsoever....

This=D>

I share your reluctance regarding the price tag however I dont see any better CF out there who we might have a chance of getting. So we either get Benteke for a higher price than he's probably worth (whatever 'worth' means) or we sign lower quality and accept teh consequences

Indeed, Benteke is 22 and still learning the game and he will only get better. It amazes me that some fans are always slagging Levy off for not spending money, when we have the chance to sign a player who has scored a lot of goals in his first season in the Prem, is the right age, thy still have a problem with it.

Indeed, Benteke is 22 and still learning the game and he will only get better. It amazes me that some fans are always slagging Levy off for not spending money, when we have the chance to sign a player who has scored a lot of goals in his first season in the Prem, is the right age, thy still have a problem with it.

=D>

I genuinely think people are afraid to be called out if it goes wrong. I have no problem at all saying I think he will be an absolute star for us, and I hope the deal is concluded soon. Someone mentioned Jelavic earlier; I will say that personally, I never rated him. Bony? Who knows? Might be a belter, might be a bust. Unproven at the level we need right now, and as such, a gamble we could not afford. Andy Carroll? Never rated him as worth more than 10 mill tops. Soldado? A fine player but again, unproven here AND not specifically blessed with the range of versatility I believe AVB wants. I'd be happy with Benteke and keeping Defoe/Ade...

I'll put my flag up again to say I think Benteke has it all, that we have the coaching staff and squad to bring him to a new level, and that it is a deal I sincerely hope gets done very soon.

Jelavic has absolutely no bearing on how benteke's career will go.....but its a fair point nonetheless.

again its all down to what you see (in benteke) and where you think his career will go. I will stick my neck out and say if he plays with us he will be amongst the goals matching or bettering his tally last season.

we have to sign one striker eventually, it would be easy for me to compare any player you may rate that we are looking to sign to a flopped player....not so easy as posting who I think we can get as a decent striker and reasons why they fit the bill.

We don't GOT to get a striker. We don't have unlimited funds. Perhaps Benteke could be sensational for us long term. Or short term he could be poor or try to fudge us over.

I would love a new striker but I want one more risk free than this guy.

I'll be the first to admit the football we played last year wasn't exactly swashbuckling exciting, but there is no way we were as direct as Villa. Lambert's teams have always been brick to watch.

SO David Villa wanted to come to Spurs and he ended up somewhere else

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenhams-transfer-market-go-slow-blamed-david-2057470?

So Benteke wants to come here, maybe we need sign him now or maybe move on to someone else

Not exactly surprising is it? I said elsewhere that I wouldn't be shocked if Benteke goes to the deadline day. But I don't see other clubs falling over themselves to get to him, so he may well be available until then anyway.

Bingo!!!!! I don't understand why there are those to bothered about a few mil here or there either????? its not our money and if its absolutely do-able we should press ahead.

none of us know the finances and none of us want to do a leeds, pompey and so on.

I really don't want to believe that we were happy to outlay 17m on a midfielder where it was obvious to every w**k*r and his dog that we are DESPERATLY lacking in the forward department I wont believe our board is that thick!!!!!!!!! we dithered and ummmd and ahhhhd over Villa as he is quoted as saying, we weren't 100% into him but I think Levy is with Benteke....!!!!

I can guarantee that the poster's raising financial concerns will and have moaned about us not buying a striker in jan last year or moaning because Levy doesn't get deals done. will these same posters please give us other options than benteke???????? no this transfer is the perfect fit for club and player. I don't want us moaning that we have ignored the striker situation 3 years in a row.

if we dither we will miss out...Napoli are flush and he must be on their radar, arse and Chelsea are watching......any messing around and trying to be clever over 1-2m will be fatal!!!!!

and in terms of creating positivity around the club and excitement through fans lets get this deal done...nice and early so he can settle with less pressure rather than being a late signing.

I absolutely believe we CAN afford this deal and not put the club in jeopardy!!!!!! is there anyone out there who thinks we are stupid enough to blow most of our kitty on one midfielder when we are in desperate need of firepower????????

Do you understand the concept of finite resources?

Go on, Baldi and Baldy, just get it done. Personally, I don't really see us attracting anyone who would be less of a risk, or likely to be a better fit, for that matter. The risk I'm more concerned about is that of being left holding an empty sack yet again.

Back