• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Champions of 3rd place, we know what we are"

Yes, other top teams also occasionally lose crunch games, even vs bottom placed teams. It happens. But Spurs are the only team that fudges up these kind of games CONSISTENTLY! That's what makes me angry. I can take losing a game, but it is this uncanny habit of fudging up every time there is something at stake that makes me angry, disappointed and incredibly frustrated.

It has improved slightly, just ever so slightly, with Poch, but it's still very much in the Spurs DNA. As good as this team is, I had hoped we got rid of it, but I guess we'll just have to live with it for eternity.

Except of course that away win at Chelsea. And all those home wins against top sides. And away to City two years ago. Etc.

This simply isnt true. Out of the top 6, our record against the weaker teams is very good - its our record against other top teams, especially away from home, that isnt great. Liverpool have much more of an issue in terms of dropping points against weaker teams
I wasn't talking specifically about games vs weaker teams, I was talking about games when there is something at stake, when we can achieve something, make a statement and so on.

We have done good enough for top 4 the last couple of years. Nothing more. Lost 9 semi finals in a row, lost a sure 2nd place to Arsenal, lost to Juventus when in total control, and now lost to WBA when 3rd or even 2nd place was up to grabs, to instead be in a position that might put us 5th! These are only a few examples. Only Spurs.

There are alternatives!

So currently, we could be talking about overtaking Liverpool in the league if we win against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and they lose or draw their last match. Then we lose against Leicester, and Chelsea win their last two. Chelsea get 3rd, we get 4th and Liverpool 5th. Liverpool then proceed to win the CL, and gets our place. You all know that's going to happen, right? :p

So currently, we could be talking about overtaking Liverpool in the league if we win against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and they lose or draw their last match. Then we lose against Leicester, and Chelsea win their last two. Chelsea get 3rd, we get 4th and Liverpool 5th. Liverpool then proceed to win the CL, and gets our place. You all know that's going to happen, right? :p

Not unless they change the rules.

I wasn't talking specifically about games vs weaker teams, I was talking about games when there is something at stake, when we can achieve something, make a statement and so on.

How do you top a CL group of death or finish runners up in the PL if you never win games like that?

Your complaint boils down to simply being we haven't won anything yet, as far as i can tell - fair enough if that's your position but all this other stuff about statements and crunch games is just lopsided fluff where the big games we win get cast aside - if we didn't get out the group this season in the CL those games would be used as evidence of crunch games we didn't turn up in, if we had got past Juventus and lost in the next round that wouldn't be seen as a statement game - we beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and it has been forgotten, yet the one from a couple of seasons back when the league was all but out of reach anyway is still front and centre - you have to be consistent with your logic and evidence if your going to make these kinds of arguments and i just don't see anyone doing that.

We've lost an FA Cup final to a side 2nd in the league and previously one to the side who won the league that year - neither of those results scream to me of underlying issues or bottling, compare to our previous two semi finals where we lost to a relegated Portsmouth side and got thrashed by a team well below us in the table in a year we had one of the best sides in the league - compared to that we've come on leaos and bounds.

Last edited:
How do you top a CL group of death or finish runners up in the PL if you never win games like that?

Your complaint boils down to simply being we haven't won anything yet, as far as i can tell - fair enough if that's your position but all this other stuff about statements and crunch games is just lopsided fluff where the big games we win in get cast aside

Our last two games have suddenly become massive so we’ll all get a chance to see us perform twice under real pressure in the next seven days.

The table will look like this next Sunday morning. (Give or take a goal)

3rd Liverpool 37 72 +42
4th Tottenham 37 72 +36
5th Chelsea 37 72 +31

I tell thee all again.

We're going into the last day all on 72pts. It's going to be a Sky Sports wet dream. They aren't going to know where to send their cameras. 3 games for the Top 4 and possibly 4 matches involved in the relegation battle

Your complaint boils down to simply being we haven't won anything yet, as far as i can tell - fair enough if that's your position but all this other stuff about statements and crunch games is just lopsided fluff where the big games we win in get cast aside

I think the feeling with some is that games that are must win (i.e. no 2nd chance) are the ones where we sometimes fall short. Example, none of those Champions Lge group games were must win as a singular game. As soon as we NEEDED a result we didn't get it. Against Utd in the semi we NEEDED the result that day, and didn't get it, no 2nd chance. Yes we have beaten Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool in the league this year but all of those games weren't must win games. They were great to win but not do or die.

It could just be variance but some have latched on and are seeing it as a failing.

Apologies for the use of capitals, I think I might NEED a lie down.

Anyone of us can now finish 3rd, 4th or 5th
Win over Saudi Sportswashing Machine and all will be well. Trust in our boys

That went out of the window on saturday for me.

The annoying thing is, if we finish 5th some of these players will want out saying they want to play in the Champions league. When they had the chance to do that with us next season

Back