• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2018/19

I'm looking forward to the Liverpool echo frame by frame piece on the best defender in the world not tracking a runner and giving them an easy tap in.

That'll be on the site any minute now...

Liverpool were the better team for 75 mins and ran out of steam.

Always the way, every time I see them. If you can stay in the game up to the 60-70 minute mark, you can then take over and dominate.

I thought Barca were poor for the most part last night, looked ragged.

But as I think about it, they were sucked into playing Liverpool at Liverpools game. 100mphforeverythingCHAAAAARGE!!!!

Once they realised Pools only real danger was coming down the right they closed that up, sat back and just picked them off. Masterful.

And Liverpool fell for it completely.

Honestly I think the tie is lost for them, and they lost it when Salah shanked a golden chance right at the end. He should have buried it - and that away goal would have been priceless. Instead he fudged it up and now they are done (IMO).

They HAVE to score 4 and keep a clean sheet to go through. The second Barca score (which I really would expect) Liverpool need 5 and daylight as a draw wont do.

I just cant see that happening.

(I realise this post could haunt me :()

Lol at van dyke for the first Messi goal, switched off completely

VVD us a very good defender. It would be churlish to say otherwise.

But the whole furore and hype around him this season is utterly bonkers.

He is good. He is not THAT good. Ive seen him described as the best in the premier league ever. I dont think he is the best this season. I certainly wouldnt swap Alderweireld or Verts for him.

Its utterly mental

Always the way, every time I see them. If you can stay in the game up to the 60-70 minute mark, you can then take over and dominate.

I thought Barca were poor for the most part last night, looked ragged.

But as I think about it, they were sucked into playing Liverpool at Liverpools game. 100mphforeverythingCHAAAAARGE!!!!

Once they realised Pools only real danger was coming down the right they closed that up, sat back and just picked them off. Masterful.

And Liverpool fell for it completely.

Honestly I think the tie is lost for them, and they lost it when Salah shanked a golden chance right at the end. He should have buried it - and that away goal would have been priceless. Instead he fudged it up and now they are done (IMO).

They HAVE to score 4 and keep a clean sheet to go through. The second Barca score (which I really would expect) Liverpool need 5 and daylight as a draw wont do.

I just cant see that happening.

(I realise this post could haunt me :()

VVD us a very good defender. It would be churlish to say otherwise.

But the whole furore and hype around him this season is utterly bonkers.

He is good. He is not THAT good. Ive seen him described as the best in the premier league ever. I dont think he is the best this season. I certainly wouldnt swap Alderweireld or Verts for him.

Its utterly mental

VVD chickened out last night, he let matip take Messi, and when Messi did run at him he turned his back on him.
VVD is supposed to be a leader but he didn't lead last night, looked totally lost at times.

from that far out I don't think I'd want a wall, with a clear sight you should be able to get to anywhere in goal before the ball can
I've been saying that for years! From long distance, I think a wall is more of a hindrance than help for the GK. Surprised no one seems to try it.
Should be easy to test on the training ground.

I agree. It's a slightly small club meteorology to have a who we lose against preferance. We want to win it, so the team we are more likely to win against is the one we want to play in the final. Not likely now!

Bara-Spurs has a nice ring to it hough, and we could beat them with some players back, and luck against Ajax. Just Son back may not be enough.

I think we have better individual players than Ajax...

Thought Liverpool were excellent. Didn't get a result to show for it, but that was almost exclusively because of the pure brilliance of Messi along with their poor finishing.

To go there and put in a performance like that shows how far they've come. I don't like it, but I can enjoy it and respect it. Would be fun if they end up with no trophies to show for it though.

Thought Liverpool were excellent. Didn't get a result to show for it, but that was almost exclusively because of the pure brilliance of Messi along with their poor finishing.

To go there and put in a performance like that shows how far they've come. I don't like it, but I can enjoy it and respect it. Would be fun if they end up with no trophies to show for it though.
Everyone is saying Liverpool played such a great game. Honestly, I didn't see it. Apart from the sequence right at the end, when Salad missed a sitter, they didn't really create many chances. Yes, they had the ball more than teams usually have it there, but I think that was intentional from Barca. Liverpools greatest threat is on the counter, and Barca knew that. Liverpool aren't particularly good at playing posession football, so Barca let them.

I've been saying that for years! From long distance, I think a wall is more of a hindrance than help for the GK. Surprised no one seems to try it.
Should be easy to test on the training ground.

Maybe they have and it doesn’t work? Hard to believe that lots of teams haven’t tested it, to be honest.

Maybe they have and it doesn’t work? Hard to believe that lots of teams haven’t tested it, to be honest.
It's also hard to believe that a keeper with full view of a shot is supposedly worse off than if he doesn't see the ball until It's really close...

I'm certain that most top gk's would have saved that Messi goal without the wall. GK would have been standing more central, and should get there quite easily.

So, basically, you're saying they BOTTLED it.

Coz that's what we'd be hearing if we'd turned in that result.

It's also hard to believe that a keeper with full view of a shot is supposedly worse off than if he doesn't see the ball until It's really close...

I'm certain that most top gk's would have saved that Messi goal without the wall. GK would have been standing more central, and should get there quite easily.

On the other hand Messi wouldn't have been bending the ball without a wall. A harder, well-placed, direct shot would be more difficult to save.

I'm sure a lot of teams just mindlessly build a wall, but I think there would have been some experimentation on whether a wall is generally a good idea. A wall protects from a simple direct shot and most free kicks are not as well taken as Messi's (even by Messi). The majority hit the wall or miss the target and only a few really test the goalkeeper.

Everyone is saying Liverpool played such a great game. Honestly, I didn't see it. Apart from the sequence right at the end, when Salad missed a sitter, they didn't really create many chances. Yes, they had the ball more than teams usually have it there, but I think that was intentional from Barca. Liverpools greatest threat is on the counter, and Barca knew that. Liverpool aren't particularly good at playing posession football, so Barca let them.
They didn't create a lot of chances, but looked dangerous several times. At the same time Barcelona didn't create a lot of chances. To me it looked a fairly close game, decided by the brilliance of Messi. To make an away game against this Barca side a close game in a CL semi final takes a lot.

Livverpewwl have MuvverFcukin' Bottled the whole deal in the Most Massive Way Possible. Stifled Barca for long stretches, created their own chances. Got Sweet FA.

Bottleville Central. They gagged on the pressure. They choked on the opportunity. They fcuked up in the heat of battle in the game's most critical moments.

Bottlers of an Order Not Seen Before By Mankind.

An adequate performance would have seen them lose 1-0 and heading back to the Anfield Job Centre with everything to play for. And apply for.

Now? It's all just sheer despondency as they try to overcome Barca's 3-0 lead without The Glimmering Dentures formerly known as Bobby Firmino and Acapulco Cliff Diver More Ham Salah.

Back