• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cann we?

I think we can see it in the front three. There's the possibility there of Johnson, Richarlison, Solomon, Gil or someone making themselves undroppable. But unless that happens I do think there's a chance we could/should add to our attacking options in January.

In midfield I'm more uncertain of that happening. Bentancur probably will, certainly if he gets back to his best. I'm not sure Skipp or Hojbjerg will push the starters at all.

Edit: Forgot about GLC. I do think he can make himself a useful squad player if he manages to stay fit and available. Pushing the starters tough, I'm not so sure.

There is quality and diversity in styles of those players
And none other have had any run of games so in theory, will be fresh

of actually like GLC to play for Argentina to get minutes and ideally Gil for Spain

Here's one for you. We're actually not doing all that much better than we started last season. This is the table at the end of 17th September 2022, with us top alongside Emirates Marketing Project, before Arsenal won their fixture that weekend.

PremTable_2022-09-17.png

So let's not get too carried away. It could all go tits up very easily.

That said, it all feels so different from how it did last season. Then, we were scraping wins through individual brilliance (i.e. Kane) and it just didn't feel sustainable. Now, there's such a buzz about the club and we're playing lovely attacking football -- some of the one-touch play between Sonny and Maddison (and the rest) has been beautiful.

If we're still up there once we've played Emirates Marketing Project, I'll start to believe. But not a moment sooner.

Here's one for you. We're actually not doing all that much better than we started last season. This is the table at the end of 17th September 2022, with us top alongside Emirates Marketing Project, before Arsenal won their fixture that weekend.

View attachment 16171

That said, it all feels so different from how it did last season. Then, we were scraping wins through individual brilliance (i.e. Kane) and it just didn't feel sustainable. Now, there's such a buzz about the club and we're playing lovely attacking football -- some of the one-touch play between Sonny and Maddison (and the rest) has been beautiful.

If we're still up there once we've played Emirates Marketing Project, I'll start to believe. But not a moment sooner.

I read that team for team we are way better off based on playing 3 of the top clubs now. Also as you mention there is no reliance on Kane.

Also last year was off the back of a settled season and 4th, this was off the most dire situation I have seen at Spurs in some time....

We are way better off if we are being honest

View attachment 16171

It feels different because that start last season was great
But we played no one in reality
The only top half team at the time we played was Chelsea and we know what happened to them
Like now though we did play a couple of teams that were relegated

View attachment 16171

No doubt we are better than last year. But you are right to be cautious. We are work in progress. Still developing as a side. Yet there is more to be posistive about now, as we refine and bed into this new way of playing.

upload_2023-10-9_20-35-9.jpeg

View attachment 16171

We are still scraping wins though in a more flamboyant manner. We've exceeded all expectations and it will be interesting to see the urgency to build on this by getting rid of deadwood cheap to get players more suited to angeball on the bench.

The last time we were in a similar position we had to go through 18 months without any transfers in. Hope its different this time and it looks to be so with the recent investments in the scouting and technical positions.

One of the distinctive and exciting aspects of our collective game is the willingness of midfield players to receive a pass from defenders and, instead of stopping the ball or immediately playing it backward or sideways, they're immediately playing the ball forward. Either by controlling the ball, rolling their marker and advancing or putting a move on an opposing midfielder/defender, letting the ball continue it's forward momentum and advancing with with it, leaving their marker behind.

Maddison, Bissouma and Mate Sarr all make abundant use of these techniques to break lines and get forward. The net effect is that their markers have to respect that option and not come piling in to nick the ball away or continue their momentum forward to press backpass recipients. It has not been a part of our attacking play for many years, with maybe Dembele being the last to play this way. Gets me off the couch every time.

I think just about every Spurs fan around knows that in terms of results and the league table it's still very early days and a lot can happen.

In terms of performances I really don't think we could have asked for more. That hasn't been the case in recent years when we've started well results wise.

I'm not saying we'll keep gathering points at the level we have been, there have been some margins going our way at times. But this seems sustainable-ish to me as long as we can keep away from (more) key injuries.

I think just about every Spurs fan around knows that in terms of results and the league table it's still very early days and a lot can happen.

In terms of performances I really don't think we could have asked for more. That hasn't been the case in recent years when we've started well results wise.

I'm not saying we'll keep gathering points at the level we have been, there have been some margins going our way at times. But this seems sustainable-ish to me as long as we can keep away from (more) key injuries.
We will be sustainable when we have sufficient quality on the bench that allows us to play angeball consistently.

We are headed in the right direction and the faster we upgrade the deadwood and identify young talents to push through to the first team, the faster we will get there.

Encouraging that we have a much better staffed scouting and football administration team while remaining the services of Paratici who has been instrumental in our current success.

My concern is are we going to be able to keep having good signings? I feel we've been spoilt last summer, in the future we will surely get some good ones - or am i just being a worry monger? If we can line up 1 or 2 signings in the backline and in the middle for January?

If Romero or VdV get injured ... we are fudged .... if udogie gets injured we are fudged ... if son gets injured we are fudged ....

So here is to hoping I guess...

My concern is are we going to be able to keep having good signings? I feel we've been spoilt last summer, in the future we will surely get some good ones - or am i just being a worry monger? If we can line up 1 or 2 signings in the backline and in the middle for January?

So far this summer seems to be one with an immense hit rate. Even going back to previous windows Porro, Bissouma, Udogie, Kulusevski, Bentancur, Sarr... Even if there have been signings who needed a bit of time and Ange to come in. Some (so far) less successful signings too of course. But overall a really impressive record.

Can only hope we mange to keep that up. Big task to keep up that kind of success in the market. I don't think it's being a worry monger to have concerns that we won't.

Ange seems to be a good manager to recruit for. Can help develop players, good at making a good environment. Knows what he wants from players.

Sooner or later there will be some high profile misses though.

It feels different because that start last season was great
But we played no one in reality
The only top half team at the time we played was Chelsea and we know what happened to them
Like now though we did play a couple of teams that were relegated
The football was terrible last season and the results weren't sustainable as many of us said and yes a few people pushed back because of blind faith but turned it out to be the case again.

This season the eye test matches the results, we've been fortunate in some games and less so in others but the performances match the results, we have been well worth the vast majority of our wins.

That is the difference.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

The football was terrible last season and the results weren't sustainable as many of us said and yes a few people pushed back because of blind faith but turned it out to be the case again.

This season the eye test matches the results, we've been fortunate in some games and less so in others but the performances match the results, we have been well worth the vast majority of our wins.

That is the difference.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Agree, the "eye test" is a good phrase for our performances, the last couple of years many games were either soulless or dome laden, while watching I was bored or fearful, didn't have the buzz I'm now getting. I said to my family last season would be my last going to games but I gave it one last chance, the intent of our play this season has relit my love of our games and l glad I did.

Back