• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Brazilian Ronaldo or Portugazer one?

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
Was talking about this earlier with a chum.

Call it Nostalgia if you like but I prefer the Brazilian one the was an excitement watching him play that no one else has got close to for me, well before his bad injuries.

For likeability the Brazilian wins it without contest. For footballing ability, the Portuguese wins it, although not as convincingly.

its easy to hate on cristiano, but imo there will be no comparison in a decades time. the longevity that cristiano has maintained is unbelievable. thats why messi/cristiano will be remembered as being on a completely different level to the likes of ronaldinho/zidane/ronaldo (brazil).

i think messi and cristiano's acheivements are likely being underappreciated at the moment. imo the fact that people think there is a genuine debate between cristiano and ronaldo is evidence of this.

Was talking about this earlier with a chum.

Call it Nostalgia if you like but I prefer the Brazilian one the was an excitement watching him play that no one else has got close to for me, well before his bad injuries.
Agreed.

Cristiano is a phenomenal professional but El Fenomeno was up there with Messi for his ability to dribble past entire defences.

World Footballer of the year at the tender ago of 20 years old whilst scoring 47 goals in 49 games for Barcelona that season.

Such a pity that (like Gasgoigne) injuries blighted his career... the flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long...

When you compete against somebody/something, superior performance can only be judged based on the opposition. Therefore will the Brazilian one be judged higher, because he really was superior, but that doesn't mean he was better than the other bloke.

Brazilian Ronaldo, had it not been for injuries I don't think they'd be a comparison and this is coming from someone who thinks Christiano is unbelievably good!

Neither light up a international competition, even if Brazilian one did win one in the end...I think he did I am sure of it. Oh will go google it.

Portuguese one for me is more of an athlete, not doubting he is skillful and unlike so many of his peers he can actually kick the ball with both feet. I just got more excited watching Brazilian one.

Brazilian Ronaldo got the golden boot in 2002 didn't he? That was after not playing for months because of (another) injury.
Yup, he ruptured cruciate ligaments in 2000 and barely played for 2 years but recovered sufficiently for World Cup finals where he scored 8 goals!

Remember him receiving a standing ovation at Old Trafford a few months later, after scoring a hat-trick to knock ManU out of the Champions League; on his way to winning a 3rd World Footballer of the year award, at just 26 years old!

Such a pity that his knees were as dodgy as Ledly King's, meaning Fenomeno's career had already peaked before most players naturally reach their prime.

he (and madrid) were incredible that night, that was one of Sir Alex's finest teams but they were powerless to resist

For pure ability, then it's a close call, would like to say the Brazillian. But CR hasn't had the same injury problems, so has been allowed to demonstrate amazing consistency over a long career. Overall, I'd have to say C. Ronaldo, because the other guy was phenomenal for a shorter period, with the rest of his career being a bit of a "what if?" With C.Ronaldo, it's been world class season after season.

For pure ability, then it's a close call, would like to say the Brazillian. But CR hasn't had the same injury problems, so has been allowed to demonstrate amazing consistency over a long career. Overall, I'd have to say C. Ronaldo, because the other guy was phenomenal for a shorter period, with the rest of his career being a bit of a "what if?" With C.Ronaldo, it's been world class season after season.
This for me.

I think the Brazilian one probably would have been the better player had he stayed fit for longer. But based on what has actually happened, the Portuguese one has been a better player.

I also think that if you put the Portuguese one in that Brazilian team he'd have a few golden boots on his shelf at home.

There's also a lot of hate (not on here) for the Portuguese one because he preens, used to dive and loves rooster. He's been made into a pantomime villain by the British press in a way that only our neanderthal football community can.

I think it has to the Portuguese one. As others have said, he is easy to dislike, but his record stands up against that of Messi, who most would agree is one of the greats. That this is a discussion says a lot about the second Ronaldo. He has converted youthful promise into sustained success, in large part due to his professionalism. The Brazilian might well have ranked higher with a similarly sustained career, but unfortunately he burnt out and remains a step below the true greats. While I always avoid promoting active players to the pantheon, it seems likely that with a few years reflection Ronaldo and Messi will be considered among the best ever.

On paper Portuguese one but when playing on the pitch Brazilian one.

Just watch what he was doing up until his injuries. Was devastating every where he played

Back