• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bentley

Each type of player has their place, its just seems to me though that the Adebayor type player will be the one employed by the big guns while the Bent type player is generally at a midtable club at best.

Also, Adebayor has show he can score goals like Bent (more, even) although I openly admit he isnt as consistent.

However, replace Adebayor with Bent in our team today and would Bale be in double figures? Would VDV and Defoe have the goals they do?

A smaller goal contribution and a greater team contribution from a striker can result in more goals over all. Equally I think Adebayor has shown with us just the difference a striker can make in dominating an opponent and pinning them in their own box...

On the money. Going further, it makes me laugh re: Bent. He is not good enough for a top 4 side IMHO...again, the Ade slaggers are incredible to me; the man does a hell of a lot of work...just his movement alone is beneficial to all...

RE Bentley/Walker, its a fair assumption. Only real issue with it is that when Walker gets caught out of position in attacking areas Bentley WILL NOT be covering his ass!

There have been some very fair counter-points re: bentley, and in the end I fear (sadly) you are right. I assume he will be so motivated to get his career on track that he will run his proverbial gonad*s off whenever he gets the chance...sadly, that is probably ridiculously idealistic...

Eh? This is the Harry who resigned Keane, isn't it?

I think Pav also rivals Bentley for one of the worst value buys we've made. On the flip side, we probably made some of the best signings in our history in the Comolli period. Which is rather more important. Every club makes a few mistakes in the market. It was mentioned in another thread about not spending big under Harry but we haven't really needed to. It was only required in the early period to deal with the dire striker situation and the balance up the midfield.

Keane was a bit of a panic buy after Defoe got injured, but as strikers go he at least at some point in his career had proven he was a good player (better than good really).

Some people give Keane a bit of stick for his all round game, but he is miles above someone like Bent. No way Harry would ever rate him, he likes players who put in a shift for 90 minutes. Thats why his teams do so well, a reduced skill level working hard for 90 minutes is better than a lazy player capable of 40 yard volleys.

Aha the Bent haters out again. Spaceman apparently proved right. Why? Cos our management didn't give him a fair crack? Must do doing somersaults there well done!

Bentley yeah while he's here get the most out of him while he's here.

The only argument for rating Bent is that he does the most important thing in football - puts it in the back of the net (but as it is at the expense of team formation and style I dont rate him). Never being given a fair crack is not really up for discussion when he played over 60 league games for us.

Take goal scoring away and im struggling to think of a player who has played a significant amount of games in the PL and contributes less than Bent.

The only argument for rating Bent is that he does the most important thing in football - puts it in the back of the net (but as it is at the expense of team formation and style I dont rate him). Never being given a fair crack is not really up for discussion when he played over 60 league games for us.

Take goal scoring away and im struggling to think of a player who has played a significant amount of games in the PL and contributes less than Bent.

Aah this whole at the detriment of the team. How exactly? And take goal scoring away??? Kind of a big thing scoring goals!! Contributes less too? 15-20 goals a season not enough? Bloody hell.

Aah this whole at the detriment of the team. How exactly? And take goal scoring away??? Kind of a big thing scoring goals!! Contributes less too? 15-20 goals a season not enough? Bloody hell.

Surely I dont need to explain his limitations away from goal scoring ? You did watch at least 1 of his 60+ games didn't you?

Yes goal scoring is a big thing, which is why he survives although his clubs dont seem to do very well.

And I said away from goals I've never seen a player contribute less (so im saying he cant play basically). But if you want to talk about goals, No, quite clearly 15-20 is not enough. Why do you think he left ? because Sunderland were too good to turn down ?

Every other player getting his amount of goals plays for a CL club and is an international star.... so you'd have to be pretty poor to get that amount of goals and not be either. You act as if the 'detriment of the team' argument is some crazy theory, but surely its the number 1 reason he left and doesnt get much international recognition ? His goals ratio at Spurs wasnt bad. If he didnt leave because Harry thought he couldnt play and wouldnt fit in the team, why did he leave ?

Last edited:
I'd have Bentley on the bench as a right winger, he's a natural out and out winger, has and can score goals for us, better than Krunchie who IMO can slot in the vdv role, more of a central attacking midfielder from the times I've watched him.

Biggest difference between Bent and Bentley from a Spurs perspective is that we got all our money back on Bent,
we'll get non from Bentley.

Isn't this a thread about Bentley?

what happened, did you all get tired at Bent, and feel you couldn't go on?

maybe you should have a ley down

(I'll get me coat)

in two minds about this. if he is willing to work hard defensively and release the ball without dwelling on it then sure, put him in the squad.

not sure why it would be an issue thought as we have VDV , niko and whoever that can play on the right

in two minds about this. if he is willing to work hard defensively and release the ball without dwelling on it then sure, put him in the squad.

not sure why it would be an issue thought as we have VDV , niko and whoever that can play on the right

Sorry what?

vdv can play on the right? Did i hear you correctly there? vdv doesn't play on the right, he always comes inside when we assume he is supposed to be playing on the right.

Eh? This is the Harry who resigned Keane, isn't it?

At the time we had no leaders and were in a dogfight. It was an excellent short-term signing (pity he lingered a bit too long afterwards) but I believe that specific signing (along with, obviously, Palacios) saved us from an almighty scrap at the end of that season.

Bentley has nothing to offer, especially at the pace we're playing at now. No thanks.

To reinforce my perspective, I'd see him as an option off the bench, if only to hug the line and create inside space against tiring defenses, for his ability to hit a good early cross a la Beckham (I know, I know, hasn't done it enough) and for set-pieces when in dire need. Somehow I can envisage a scenario this season where Bentley hits a set-piece which Nelsen heads in...

To reinforce my perspective, I'd see him as an option off the bench, if only to hug the line and create inside space against tiring defenses, for his ability to hit a good early cross a la Beckham (I know, I know, hasn't done it enough) and for set-pieces when in dire need. Somehow I can envisage a scenario this season where Bentley hits a set-piece which Nelsen heads in...

That's why we bought him. We were appealing in dead ball situations. Now we have VDV we're pretty threatening. If VDV is out, then there may be a place for Bentley if he's up to speed. He does have some skill, no doubt. His close control and crossing can be good. Adebayor could feed off someone life Bentley. All depends on Bentley himself, if he's doing it in training he'd be a welcome addition to the bench. Then its up to him to prove himself. Maybe he has matured..?

Surely I dont need to explain his limitations away from goal scoring ? You did watch at least 1 of his 60+ games didn't you?

Yes goal scoring is a big thing, which is why he survives although his clubs dont seem to do very well.

And I said away from goals I've never seen a player contribute less (so im saying he cant play basically). But if you want to talk about goals, No, quite clearly 15-20 is not enough. Why do you think he left ? because Sunderland were too good to turn down ?

Every other player getting his amount of goals plays for a CL club and is an international star.... so you'd have to be pretty poor to get that amount of goals and not be either. You act as if the 'detriment of the team' argument is some crazy theory, but surely its the number 1 reason he left and doesnt get much international recognition ? His goals ratio at Spurs wasnt bad. If he didnt leave because Harry thought he couldnt play and wouldnt fit in the team, why did he leave ?

Have, to say, I'm completely of this view. Bent's performance today was just laughable. Anyone who can't see how much he hamstrings the teams he plays for needs to look a little closer.

No Bentley for me please. I wanted him to succeed so much, but he's been an unmitigated disaster for Spurs. End of.

Back